Dimming options for Fibaro RGBW

Posted on
Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:11 pm
jimM offline

Dimming options for Fibaro RGBW

Hi,
Is there such a thing as a raw command, python script or possibly a parameter setting that would allow 'live' dimming of this controller?

Trying to stay within my Insteon/Z-wave device pool and so far have a KPL set up to:
- send the On/Off command - just turning the LED strips on to white (or last color remembered) at a set % using Indigo Insteon On/Off command.
- DIM/Brightens by a % commands on 2 more buttons set to non-toggle mode
- some other buttons triggering the 5 very cool scenes available in Parameter 72. ( will eventually incorporate these into a single button somehow lol.)
- I have a freeze button that stops a scene (parm 72 program) when the program lands on a color that is desirable to keep. e.g - the Rainbow program has some deep colors that are really cool so the user can freeze that color and keep ite for as long as they want, just a geeky feature by setting parm 72 to 1 but really works well.

Not perfect yet but getting there. Surprisingly the KPL with this setup is looking like a great candidate as a physical switch for the LED lights using this controller. If dimming worked better the above basic setup would give the user a full palette of collor and patterns to choose from without burning up too much gray matter lol.

In order to make dimming workable the trigger Dims/Brightens in steps of 20% to minimize the number of touches to the KPL button so it doesn't work as expected of a true dimmer. I'm just using a trigger linked to the button and dimming/Brightening the composite . What would be great is having the controller dim/Bright as the On/Off button is pressed like any other Insteon switch. At first I didn't think this possible (hence the present setup) knowing that the Insteon linking system directly controls dimming functions to Insteon devices on button hold so using Indigo Triggers to dim to a set % was the only option... until I looked into the Dimmer Extender plugin's functionality. This plugin one can trigger on the 'start/stop dimming/brighten status of a toggle button and it got me thinking about sending a dim start and dim stop command to the controller if that was possible. I tried to use the plugin directly but it doesn't recognize the controller.

If there is either a DIM/BRIGHTEN raw command, python script, or a parameter that can control the dim/brighten function, it would be very helpful in providing control on a KPL right there on the counter as a manual switch, as there is little waf interest in changing to another switch in the new kitchen if I can avoid it.

Thanks for reading. Any ideas greatly appreciated. I'm stuck but think/hope I'm on to something here :)
Jim

Posted on
Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:52 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Dimming options for Fibaro RGBW

Not that I'm aware of. I think someone would need to create a plugin which has a separate thread to handle sending new brightness commands (with incrementing or decrementing brightness values). So when the thread receives a startBrighten command (via a plugin action it defines for Start Brighten) it knows to loop and periodically (every half second?) send out a new brightness until a stopBrighten command is received.

Posted on
Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:15 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I've pointed that developer of Dimmer Extender as well as another developer to this thread. Maybe they can join forces and add that functionality. It would be really cool!

And, I happen to know of at least 1 Z-Wave switch that send start/stop brighten/dim commands that are coming soon to an Indigo 7 near you... :)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:04 pm
jimM offline

That sounds great Matt/Jay, and thanks for the response.
Also, I was looking at the z-wave alliance specs of this controller and see that it supports multilevel switch command class. When I googled that it shows the class as having a start dim/ stop dim commands in that class. I don't know enough about raw commands except what I learned from the Stelpro Stat external temp update commands you provided in that script (and continue to work so perfectly!!!)
But I got to thinking, if I could test a few raw commands like start brighten /stop brighten to see if the device supports those commands ... then it would be a perfect match using the excellent Dimmer Extender plugin in a trigger on button hold, to send the appropriate raw command to the controller, and all the processing would be done on the device as I understand it. :D
Problem is I don't know/can't find the actual command codes I would send in a raw command payload to test. I found the commands in the reference but have no idea how to convert them to a raw command payload from Indigo.
Or am I way off base here/ should stick to my day job?

Posted on
Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:00 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Well, I think you just proved my assumption incorrect. It does, and based on a couple of tests it seems to work pretty well. This removes the need for the plugin logic I described above. Here are the raw commands I came up with:

Start Brighten:
0x26 0x04 0x38 0x00

Start Dim:
0x26 0x04 0x78 0x00

Stop (Brighten or Dim)
0x26 0x05

You can also add a duration and step bytes to the commands if the device supports version 3 of the multilevel command class. I haven't experimented with those yet.

Posted on
Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:53 pm
jimM offline

Oh My! THANK YOU!!

OK I've only been Testing today and you're right it does work pretty well. It seems to like dimming and brightening from 0% and 100% respectively more than in between. eg.- often when in a middle value like 50% it will keep dimming to 1 % or off even though I released. This may be a case of it not getting the stop command in time and ramping down too fast. Would be interesting to slow the duration or decrease steps to see if it impacts that, but once a little practice using the actual on/off button like any Insteon switch and it is working well. Since I am presently only controlling the composite I'm only dimming white so I think I might change the 2 other buttons (right now in non- toggle mode as dim/Br buttons see above) back to toggle mode and add a third and play with each of them adjusting the colors/ saturation for testing this evening.
I read 100's of posts in the past week looking for this before bothering you with it, and I'm sure this new ability is unigue to Indigo from what I see elsewhere!

Is there a place you can point me to/where to get those values for the command options ( like 0x26 or 'step bytes') and what they mean and I will be glad to give it a try to avoid pestering you too much? Would just need to know the raw command field definitions so I don't go breaking the internet lol.

Again, Thanks Matt/Jay
:lol:

Page 1 of 1