Dayton Audio Controller Plugin

Posted on
Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:17 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Dayton Audio Controller Plugin

Quick Download: Plugin | GitHub Repository

Introduction
This Indigo 6.1+ plugin allows Indigo to control the DAX66 6-Source/6-Zone Distributed Audio System from Dayton Audio. Thanks to a robust protocol, this plugin is able to both read and set nearly every aspect of the receiver such as zone power, volume, treble, bass, and more.

Hardware Requirements
This plugin works exclusively with the DAX66 6-Source/6-Zone Distributed Audio System. It supports daisy-chain configuration for multiple receivers (one master and up to two connected slaves) as well as having multiple master receivers on the network. You will need a serial connection from any master receiver to your computer.

Installation and Configuration
Obtaining the Plugin
The latest released version is always available on the Releases tab of the GitHub repository and is the recommended version to use for your system. Alternatively, you may wish to download an older version or the source of this repository which includes all files necessary to install and utilize the plugin.

Configuring the Plugin
Upon first installation you will be asked to configure the plugin; please see the instructions on the configuration screen for more information. Most users will be fine with the defaults unless an email is desired when a new version is released.

PluginConfigurationScreen.png
PluginConfigurationScreen.png (53.96 KiB) Viewed 18468 times

Plugin Devices
Master Receiver(s)
You will need to create a new Dayton Audio Zone Receiver for each master receiver that you have connected to Indigo via serial connection; any slave units connected to the master will automatically be available for control (these show up as additional available zones in Indigo).

ReceiverDeviceConfigScreen.png
ReceiverDeviceConfigScreen.png (98.54 KiB) Viewed 18468 times

Individual Zones
After you have created the Indigo devices for your receiver, you will need to create an Indigo device for each zone attached to the receiver that you wish to monitor or control. These zone devices are where you will control the output of the receiver via actions and states.

ZoneDeviceConfigScreen.png
ZoneDeviceConfigScreen.png (21.47 KiB) Viewed 18468 times

Available Device States
The plugin tracks several device states where are updated according to the polling frequency of the master receiver. Note that after each action, the appropriate zone is updated immediately. The following zone states are supported:

• isPoweredOn - tracks the power state of the zone (true / false)
  • source - The selected source number for the zone (1 - 6)
  • isMuted - Whether or not the zone is currently muted (true / false)
  • volume - The volume level for the zone (0 - 38)
  • bassLevel - The level of bass selected for the zone (0 - 14)
  • trebleLevel - The level of treble selected for the zone (0 - 14)
  • balanceStatus - The left-right balance selected for the zone (0 - 20)
  • brightnessLevel - This is the value / display value of the dimmer control; it will show and set a volume level appropriately scaled to the device
  • onOffState - The default status state of the dimmer, this will mimic the isPoweredOn state for visibility within Indigo interfaces

Available Actions
Receiver Actions
  • Set Power (All Zones) - This action will turn on/off all of the zones connected to a master receiver.
  • Set Source (All Zones) - This action will set the input of all connected zones to the selected source.

Zone Actions
  • Set Zone Source - Sets the input source for the zone
  • Zone Volume - Set Value - Set the volume of the zone to the provided Value
  • Zone Volume - Adjust Up/Down - This adjusts the volume from its current state up/down; note you will need to make sure the device is polling often enough if you have the keypads or IR remote in use
  • Zone Mute - Set - Explicitly sets the zone to either mute or not muted
  • Zone Mute - Toggle - Toggles the mute/unmuted status of the zone; note you will need to make sure the device is polling often enough if you have the keypads or IR remote in use
  • Zone Treble - Set Value - Sets the treble level for the zone
  • Zone Bass - Set Value - Sets the bass level for the zone
  • Zone Balance - Set Value - Sets the balance for the zone

Posted on
Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:25 am
Korey offline

Re: Dayton Audio Controller Plugin

:D Great contribution Thanks!! :D

--
Korey

Posted on
Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:51 am
FlyingDiver offline

I'm 99% sure this is the exact same hardware as the Monoprice 6-Zone Home Audio Multizone Controller and Amplifier: http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10761

The equipment looks the same and the RS-232 command set looks the same. I'll know for sure when my unit arrives tomorrow. ;)

Looks like RP just saved me from writing another plugin.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:35 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Cool - you just keep cranking those plugins... :D

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:20 pm
RogueProeliator offline

For those interested... this is a decent replacement for the Niles Audio zone receivers which I believe are all now discontinued; the response / command set is MUCH faster responding. The only negative compared to Niles is the lack of built-in tuner. However, that isn't a huge deal for most people as you can just add a source that has a tuner. I haven't used it except for through the plugin so not so sure how other controls (e.g. available keypads) compare to other system. But who needs keypads when we have Indigo!?!?

Adam

Posted on
Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:48 am
FlyingDiver offline

FYI - works great with the Monoprice unit. I haven't even unpacked the keypads and remote that came with it.

Adam - have you considered doing "Group Zones" ala Sonos? That is, another device type which takes all the same commands but controls multiple output zones simultaneously?

Also, since the output zones are defined as dimmer devices, would it be possible to scale the volume setting between 0-100 instead of the unit's native 0-38?

Thanks!

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:31 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Also, while I'm at it...

The mapping between zone control and indigo dimmer device has some issues. On/off works, but the zone status isn't correct. The only way to get the zone to show as off is to turn the volume (brightness) all the way down. So the UI shows the zone as on even if it's actually off (isPoweredOn = false).

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:50 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Adam - have you considered doing "Group Zones" ala Sonos? That is, another device type which takes all the same commands but controls multiple output zones simultaneously?

I hadn't thought about that as I tend to have to set zones to different volumes and such and rarely have more than a few grouped together; however it is a good suggestion that would be pretty easy to implement. I'll work on it.

Also, since the output zones are defined as dimmer devices, would it be possible to scale the volume setting between 0-100 instead of the unit's native 0-38?

I struggled with this one -- because it really depends on how you use the device; for instance, I tend to want to go up one "step" at a time, which is more difficult if it is scaled. However, for display purposes the scaling is better... I briefly considered having two properties - "absolute" and "scaled" volume properties and then allow selection of which to use for the display and dimmer. Does that sound too confusing?

The mapping between zone control and indigo dimmer device has some issues. On/off works, but the zone status isn't correct. The only way to get the zone to show as off is to turn the volume (brightness) all the way down. So the UI shows the zone as on even if it's actually off (isPoweredOn = false).

I'll take a quick peak - I never turn things off so probably why I haven't noticed anything amiss. I end up switching to a computer source so that announcements can be heard when not playing music. Probably an easy bug to squash.

Sorry for the issues - this has barely been beta tested outside of using two zones (currently).

Posted on
Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:13 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I might can make these changes tomorrow, at least the volume and power-bug related ones. The group wouldn't be too hard but is a tiny bit more involved... will need to think about it tomorrow and see how quick/hard the implementation will be to know if it can be done at the same time.

Adam

Posted on
Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:32 am
FlyingDiver offline

RogueProeliator wrote:

I struggled with this one -- because it really depends on how you use the device; for instance, I tend to want to go up one "step" at a time, which is more difficult if it is scaled. However, for display purposes the scaling is better... I briefly considered having two properties - "absolute" and "scaled" volume properties and then allow selection of which to use for the display and dimmer. Does that sound too confusing?

If the scaling was the other way, I could see the issue. But since the amp range is less than the indigo range, if you go up one step on the command to the device, that's going to change the indigo value about 3%. Which is OK to me. You won't be able to do 1% on the displayed value, which is acceptable. IMO.

RogueProeliator wrote:

I'll take a quick peak - I never turn things off so probably why I haven't noticed anything amiss. I end up switching to a computer source so that announcements can be heard when not playing music. Probably an easy bug to squash.

For a work around, I ended up creating a virtual device for each zone, with variables to hold the volume and state. PITA making 6 devices, 18 scripts, and 12 variables. :)

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:36 am
FlyingDiver offline

I hadn't thought about that as I tend to have to set zones to different volumes and such and rarely have more than a few grouped together; however it is a good suggestion that would be pretty easy to implement. I'll work on it.

Yeah, I can see that. I was just thinking of a party mode situation where I wanted to turn on and set source on several zones at once. Volume control for each zone is a little tricky, but if the group only allowed up/down and not absolute setting then you could set the base levels per zone and adjust the overall volume as a group. Maybe. Worth looking into anyway.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:37 pm
RogueProeliator offline

v1.0.3 Released

v1.0.3 has been released on the GitHub site (download or use the Check for Updates on the menu)

• Fixed bug in the power on/off display of zones
  • Changed zone display and slider operation to be a scaled volume (0-100 translates to 0-38 on the device). You may still set/read the raw volume value with the volume state and actions

Posted on
Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:43 am
FlyingDiver offline

Power on/off and volume are working much better, thanks.

Found another bug - the plugin thinks that zone 6 is on the second controller. It was driving me nuts, I couldn't get zone 6 to turn on. I was about ready to call Monoprice and ask for an RMA. But I plugged in one of the keypads that came with the unit and it worked right away. So then I turned on debug logging for the plugin.

Code: Select all
 str((int(%dp:zoneNumber% / 6)) + 1) + str(%dp:zoneNumber% % 6)

needs to be

Code: Select all
 str((int((%dp:zoneNumber% - 1) / 6)) + 1) + str(((%dp:zoneNumber% - 1) % 6) + 1)

In many places. :)

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:40 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Ugh, sorry about that... can you tell that I only have 3 zones attached? :-| I'll get it fixed up sometime today. Post some pics of those control pages once you finish!

Posted on
Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:09 pm
FlyingDiver offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
Ugh, sorry about that... can you tell that I only have 3 zones attached? :-| I'll get it fixed up sometime today. Post some pics of those control pages once you finish!

I made those changes in my copy of the plugin and it's working fine, so no rush on my account.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)