Using Action Groups & Garage Door I/O Lincs

Posted on
Tue May 03, 2016 11:42 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Using Action Groups & Garage Door I/O Lincs

How to you use an action group with this? I have quite a few, and just experimenting I have been unable to get any of them to run (i.e., "Siri: Start Plex" and "Siri: Turn on Start Plex"), but what I'm most interested in is controlling my garage door.

My garage door uses the Insteon IOLinc kit for it (has the sensor as well as the IO device), I assume I probably have to set up an action group but since I can't figure out how to properly fire an action group I'm at a loss. But this also brings up another question, using the treatAsGarageDoorIds setting in the json file, with my setup do I use the IOLinc for that ID or my new action group? I've tried both with no success.

Other than that I'm loving this plugin! Just this past week I wanted to replace my Venstar (horrible Insteon device, replaced 5 times) with a Nest but when I was at Best Buy I saw the Ecobee and the homekit integration and was VERY tempted but thought to myself "self, I bet there is a homekit plugin that I can use with the nest" and TADA, there was :). Best of both worlds, yay me.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sat May 07, 2016 11:27 pm
webdeck offline

Re: Using Action Groups & Garage Door I/O Lincs

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
How to you use an action group with this? I have quite a few, and just experimenting I have been unable to get any of them to run (i.e., "Siri: Start Plex" and "Siri: Turn on Start Plex"), but what I'm most interested in is controlling my garage door.

You need to include this line in your config.json:

Code: Select all
            "includeActions": true,

That will make dummy switches for each action group. Turning the switch on executes the action group (and the dummy switch automatically turns itself back off.) So you would tell Siri to "turn on the Name of Action Group." You can also create a Homekit scene (e.g. called "Start Plex") that turns on that fake switch, and then you can just say to Siri "Start Plex."

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
My garage door uses the Insteon IOLinc kit for it (has the sensor as well as the IO device), I assume I probably have to set up an action group but since I can't figure out how to properly fire an action group I'm at a loss. But this also brings up another question, using the treatAsGarageDoorIds setting in the json file, with my setup do I use the IOLinc for that ID or my new action group? I've tried both with no success.

You don't need an action group. You should set the treatAsGarageDoorIds setting to be the ID of the IO Device.

What errors are you seeing? Can you copy/paste your config.json here?

-Mike

Posted on
Sun May 08, 2016 12:52 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Mike, thanks for the assistance :). I already had the 'includeActions' set to true but so far none of my action groups seem to fire using "Turn On XYZ" where XYZ is the action group name. In the console output I get nothing of note and Siri tells me "Sorry, I didn't get that, Could you restate that?".

As for the garage door I had already added the IO link address to the JSON with no success. As a test I tried putting it as the only one of two ID's in the 'includeIds' to see if maybe I was going over the 99 items but that didn't do the trick either. Again, no console log on that for "Open garage door" and Siri tells me "Sorry, I wasn't able to find any garage doors this time.", if I try "Turn on garage door" I get the exact same results.

My JSON:

{
    "bridge": {
        "name": "Homebridge",
        "username": "CC:22:3D:E3:CE:30",
        "port": 51826,
        "pin": "031-45-154"
    },

"description": "This is an example configuration file to configure the Indigo platform plugin. See README.md for more details.",

"platforms": [
        {
            "platform": "Indigo",
            "name": "My Indigo Server",
            "protocol": "http",
            "host": "127.0.0.1",
            "port": "8176",
            "path": "",
            "includeActions": false,
            "includeIds": [ "1048843829", "848833485" ],
            "excludeIds": [ "98765", "43210" ],
            "treatAsSwitchIds": [ "13579", "24680" ],
            "treatAsLockIds": [ "1532371281", "445566" ],
            "treatAsDoorIds": [ "224466", "664422" ],
            "treatAsGarageDoorIds": [ "1048843829" ],
            "thermostatsInCelsius": false,
            "accessoryNamePrefix": ""
        }
    ],

"accessories": [
    ]
}

My front door lock works perfectly, as do any lights I include in the mix, just not actions or my garage door. I have confirmed that the ID's above do, indeed, correlate to the ID for my IOLinc kit for my garage door.

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sun May 08, 2016 2:08 pm
webdeck offline

You need to add all of your IDs into the includeIds list. It is only looking at device IDs that are in that list. If you just want to control everything, remove the includeIds and excludeIds lines. You should also remove the dummy IDs from the configuration (i.e. remove the excludeIds, treatAsSwitchIds, and treatAsDoorIds lines, and remove , "445566".

-Mike

Posted on
Sun May 08, 2016 4:25 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Not sure if you read my entire reply but I have tried it with and without the include/excludes and it doesn't change anything. I'll try removing the sample data to see if that makes any difference.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sun May 08, 2016 4:30 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

New config, same results:

{
    "bridge": {
        "name": "Homebridge",
        "username": "CC:22:3D:E3:CE:30",
        "port": 51826,
        "pin": "031-45-154"
    },

"description": "This is an example configuration file to configure the Indigo platform plugin. See README.md for more details.",

"platforms": [
        {
            "platform": "Indigo",
            "name": "My Indigo Server",
            "protocol": "http",
            "host": "127.0.0.1",
            "port": "8176",
            "path": "",
            "includeActions": true,
            "treatAsLockIds": [ "1532371281" ],
            "treatAsGarageDoorIds": [ "1048843829" ],
            "thermostatsInCelsius": false,
            "accessoryNamePrefix": ""
        }
    ],

"accessories": [
    ]
}

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sun May 08, 2016 4:41 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Ok, what I'm seeing is that it does not even recognize the garage door IO linc, when I look at the initialization in the console as well as the app itself, the garage door is not there, but my other garage devices (they all start with the name 'Garage') are.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sun May 15, 2016 8:57 am
webdeck offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
Ok, what I'm seeing is that it does not even recognize the garage door IO linc, when I look at the initialization in the console as well as the app itself, the garage door is not there, but my other garage devices (they all start with the name 'Garage') are.

Is Remote Display checked for those devices in Indigo? If not, they won't appear in homebridge.

-Mike

Posted on
Sun May 15, 2016 11:04 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 11.03.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 11.03.44 AM.png (44.84 KiB) Viewed 7382 times
Sure is

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sun May 15, 2016 6:03 pm
webdeck offline

Can you copy/paste the homebridge log from when you first start homebridge?

Posted on
Wed May 18, 2016 10:13 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

I found the following in the log that I suspect may be part of the issue:

[5/9/2016, 8:13:59 AM] [My Indigo Server] Discovered I/O-Linc Controller (ID 361446525): Garage Door
[5/9/2016, 8:13:59 AM] [My Indigo Server] Ignoring unknown accessory type I/O-Linc Controller

My log is pretty massive, given the above line do you still want to see the entire thing?

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sat May 21, 2016 11:24 pm
webdeck offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
I found the following in the log that I suspect may be part of the issue:

[5/9/2016, 8:13:59 AM] [My Indigo Server] Discovered I/O-Linc Controller (ID 361446525): Garage Door
[5/9/2016, 8:13:59 AM] [My Indigo Server] Ignoring unknown accessory type I/O-Linc Controller

My log is pretty massive, given the above line do you still want to see the entire thing?

Ah, yes, that's what I was wondering, since I don't have an I/O-Linc to test with. It looks like Indigo doesn't expose it as a switch in the RESTful API. So the approach you would have to take is to create a virtual device in Indigo and use that instead (you can create two action groups - one to open and one to close, and a variable to keep track of if the door is opened or closed, and put those three together to create a virtual device that acts like a switch.) Then you can treat the virtual device like a garage door in homebridge-indigo. Does that make sense?

-Mike

Posted on
Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:53 pm
mikec27 offline

I'm having the exact same issue with my I/O linc and my garage door. I've tried creating a wrapper and a virtual device but no matter what I do I can't get the device to show in HomeKit

Posted on
Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:06 pm
echiang offline

Wanted to jump in and say that I have been able to setup a EZIO2x4 controller to control my 2 garage doors using action groups, then create a virtual device for each garage door, and then control them via Homebridge/Siri.

I have an action group for each garage door to open, close, and toggle. I also created an acton group (that I call GarageDoorSync) that does a status on the EZIO2x4 and the related garage door position sensors. The sync action group sets a variable that holds the open (on) / close (off) state of each garage door.

The Open, Close, and Toggle action groups first call the GarageDoorSync action group to confirm the status of each garage door.

With those 4 actions groups (Open, Close, Toggle, and GarageDoorSync) and the garage door state variables, I setup an Indigo Virtual Device for each garage door.

Then in Homebridge Buddy I set the Virtual devices as Garage Doors. In the IOS Home app, the two garage doors both show as devices and I renamed them "Prius Side Garage Door" and "Subaru Side Garage Door".

So, I just say to Siri "Open the Prius side garage door" or "Open the Subaru side garage door" and similarly for closing the garage doors. My only issue is that Siri has problem with the word "Prius". Says "Pr-EYE-us" rather than "Pr-EE-us".

Anyway, hope this helps. Happy to provide more details if anyone is interested.
Ed

Page 1 of 1