BloomSky Weather Station

Forum rules

Questions about hardware that can be controlled by Indigo (but not through the interfaces and plugins listed). If Indigo doesn't support some bit of hardware you're interested in, and you don't find a 3rd Party Plugin for it, add it to this forum. Be sure to include links to as much information as you can find about it.

Note: adding it here does not mean we're going to add it - in fact it's possible one of our 3rd party developers may decide to write a plugin for it. We add hardware/features based on a lot of different factors beyond just having a request for it.

Posted on
Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:13 am
Different Computers offline

BloomSky Weather Station

Here it is.

It's wifi based. IFTTT and Weather Underground integration.

Active development of an ST plugin for it,an open API. And at least some of its innards run on Python.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:01 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: BloomSky Weather Station

That actually looks pretty cool, and it's priced well. I like that it has an open API and doesn't require the cloud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:46 am
johnpolasek offline

DaveL17 wrote:
That actually looks pretty cool, and it's priced well. I like that it has an open API and doesn't require the cloud.

ABSOLUTELY!!!! I HATE tje current trend to force everybody to have an internet connection in order to get local data... I run weathersnoop to dump the data directly into Indigo as well as post it to WU because otherwise I'd have to get it out of the Davis Cloud or from their WU feed. But out in the country, too far from all the local wireless providers, Satellite internet is my only option, which invariably cuts off my rain rate data from WU exactly when the storm becomes the most intense...

Posted on
Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:29 am

The pricing was extra good during a "get it for the cost of shipping" special a few months ago.

Mine hit some problem & isn't reporting any more, but I've been distracted from troubleshooting it by STcanning SmartThings and now getting Indigo up and running. And since BloomSky doesn't talk directly to Indigo yet, it's not a priority.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed May 04, 2016 8:36 am

Thought I should update this, since my original BS was bad and I just got the replacement configured.

there's really no practical need for the plugin I asked about IF you're willing to set up you BS as a WUnderground Personal Weather Station. Once that's done, the amazing WUnderground plugin does everything you could want and more.

The only reason to need a plugin is if you're super concerned about either security, privacy or outbound network traffic.

Posted on
Wed May 04, 2016 10:05 am
DaveL17 offline

Hey DC, thanks for the kind words about the plugins.

I think you raise valid points about why someone might not want to use the WUnderstation/WUnderground plugins, and I would add that a dedicated BS plugin would also likely keep all the traffic on the local network. In general, I try to avoid the cloud whenever possible because we don't have perfect connectivity (which could break things temporarily) and we also don't have unlimited data on our plan! :D

Dave

Posted on
Wed May 04, 2016 11:21 am

I'm bound to be on the lower end of ISP connectivity speed here, as I live out in the boonies and my upload speed is particularly bad.

So if you decide to make a BS plugin, I'll definitely use it! though I might keep the WU plugin for back up and because, if my ST/BS integration attempts taught me anything, it's that the WU page is the only handy way to get the BS web cam snaps pulled into anything else!

Besides, doesn't it just call out to you to write something called "BS Plugin"?

Posted on
Wed May 04, 2016 11:43 am
DaveL17 offline

Technically, all the plugins I write are BS Plugins!

Page 1 of 1