state of El Capitan readiness

Posted on
Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:37 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: state of El Capitan readiness

It's not really a full reinstall - the installer will just fix anything it finds wrong with your current install. However, backing up the install folder is always a good idea just in case.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:54 pm
Redrocker offline

Bingo! Thanks all. I guess I made a mountain out of a mole hill. Kinda like my post about the new business model. :mrgreen:

I'm sticking with what works. Bring on Indigo 7! (and Echo support, IFTTT, Apple Watch, etc) :D

~Mark

~Mark
Indigo 2021.2

Posted on
Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:08 pm
simdude offline

Regarding the firewall and constant "accept incoming connection" message, has anyone used this tool to configure the firewall:

http://www.murusfirewall.com/

Looks like a nice front end to PF but I'm not sure that would help find or fix this message if it's related to signed apps.

Posted on
Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:54 pm
nlagaros offline

I use murus and am highly restrictive on incoming/outbound traffic. I've had to create a bunch of custom services & rules for plugins I am running.

Posted on
Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:48 pm
jeff-4 offline

jay (support) wrote:
jeff-4 wrote:
I just installed 10.11.2 and can no longer connect to my Insteon PowerLinc Modem. I am pretty unhappy with the situation, since everything was working up this most recent upgrade. I know most of the blame goes to Apple, but I purchased Indigo because of its promised compatibility with the Mac and now it isn't. :(

It's frustrating for us too since we have no control over the USB/driver issues that many new OS releases introduce. Having said that, I just upgraded my development Mac to 10.11.2 and the PowerLinc connected just fine (the jury's still out if it will continue to work since the bug I filed with Apple takes a day or two to trigger on this Mac). Try the following and let us know the answer to each:

1. Does the PowerLinc show up in the System Information app when you select USB under Hardware? It should show up as FT232R USB UART
  2. In the Insteon config dialog, is it showing a serial port named something like "usbserial-XXXXXXXX" (make sure that it's not saying "port not found"?
  3. Is the PowerLinc plugged directly into a USB port on your Mac and not a hub (or a USB port on a keyboard)?
  4. If the answer to the first one is no, try another USB cable/port.

Sorry about the late reply. I've been very busy at work. The answer to the first two questions is Yes. The PowerLinc is plugged directly into the back of a Mac mini. Here is a bit more information:

1. The link is not completely broken. For example, Indigo still is able to control devices on schedules.
2. When I try to issue a command form the Indigo window, to turn on a light for example, I see the acticvity registering on the status bas (lower lef) for the PowerLinc modem, but then nothing happens (the light does not light) and the PowerLinc 2413U letters are redlined. When I look at the log, there is a VERY long list of lines reading
Error resending previous command (busy or unexpected command)
3. If I wait awhile, the modem eventually reconnects and the schedules work again.

Is this a hardware problem with the PowerLinc modem? Any ideas on how to proceed. I just ordered some outdoor switches for the holidays, and I cannot link to them at all. :shock:

Posted on
Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:55 pm
jeff-4 offline

simdude wrote:
jeff-4 wrote:
I just installed 10.11.2 and can no longer connect to my Insteon PowerLinc Modem. I am pretty unhappy with the situation, since everything was working up this most recent upgrade. I know most of the blame goes to Apple, but I purchased Indigo because of its promised compatibility with the Mac and now it isn't. :(

One of the best tips I could give you for home automation using any computer is wait to do upgrades. This can be hard if you are multi-purposing your main computer but upgrades can break things. You'll notice many people buy an older mac just to handle the home automation. Probably not an expense you want to hear but an option. I'm using my main computer for now but wait as long as possible to upgrade. Matt and Jay are great at working with Apple and getting things worked out but it will take some time.

In the meantime, try some troubleshooting. Switch USB ports. Reboot with and without the modem plugged in. If you boot without it plugged it, plug it in after you're up and running. Also, try plugging into a hub. While plugging directly into the mac is preferred, oddly, sometimes the hub works better. Any information you can provide with help narrow down the problem. I will also check my OS version and modem at home and see if I have a similar configuration and help if I can.

Mark

I've tried all of these things except the hub (don't have one). What happens is that the modem comes back and is recognized in Indigo. But then the connection breaks when I ask Indigo to actively do something, like turn on a light, add a device, etc. Weird thing is that eventually the PowerLinc comes back on and Indigo carries out my scheduled events without problems. See also my response to Jay. ANy help would be great;y appreciated!

Posted on
Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:01 pm
jeff-4 offline

I have been reading other posts here, and I am struck that many failing 2413Us seem to exhibit the flaky behavior I am seeing. So, I am wondering if my issue has nothing to do with upgrading to OS !0.11.2? The modem is just under 1-year old, and I purchased it through the Indigo store. How to proceed?

Posted on
Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:49 pm
simdude offline

jeff-4 wrote:

I've tried all of these things except the hub (don't have one). What happens is that the modem comes back and is recognized in Indigo. But then the connection breaks when I ask Indigo to actively do something, like turn on a light, add a device, etc. Weird thing is that eventually the PowerLinc comes back on and Indigo carries out my scheduled events without problems. See also my response to Jay. ANy help would be great;y appreciated!

I ended up doing an inadvertent update to 10.11.2. I say inadvertent because I had to do a reboot and it auto-installed. I must have a setting for updates to be automatically applied. In any case, I am now updated. I'm running Indigo 6.1.4 with the PowerLinc 2413U and the Aeon Gen5 Z-wave stick. My house is Z-wave however. I bought the 2413U anticipating I may move back to Insteon. For now, I only use it to control X10 Christmas lights. That being said, it has worked fine for the X10 stuff. I'm not seeing any lockups or other issues. Is there any chance the issue is only present when communicating with Insteon devices?

As far as your modem failing, I believe they have a 2 year warranty. I would inquire about a replacement.

Posted on
Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:48 pm
jeff-4 offline

simdude wrote:

I ended up doing an inadvertent update to 10.11.2. I say inadvertent because I had to do a reboot and it auto-installed. I must have a setting for updates to be automatically applied. In any case, I am now updated. I'm running Indigo 6.1.4 with the PowerLinc 2413U and the Aeon Gen5 Z-wave stick. My house is Z-wave however. I bought the 2413U anticipating I may move back to Insteon. For now, I only use it to control X10 Christmas lights. That being said, it has worked fine for the X10 stuff. I'm not seeing any lockups or other issues. Is there any chance the issue is only present when communicating with Insteon devices?

As far as your modem failing, I believe they have a 2 year warranty. I would inquire about a replacement.

Thanks for the advice. I have asked the Indigo store to consider replacement of my PowerLinc under warranty.

Posted on
Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:51 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

jeff-4 wrote:
2. When I try to issue a command form the Indigo window, to turn on a light for example, I see the acticvity registering on the status bas (lower lef) for the PowerLinc modem, but then nothing happens (the light does not light) and the PowerLinc 2413U letters are redlined. When I look at the log, there is a VERY long list of lines reading
Error resending previous command (busy or unexpected command)

Ah, well, that's quite a bit different than it can't connect at all. There are a couple of things that can cause that error: sever signal noise can cause the PowerLinc to get so confused that it won't communicate with Indigo. The signal troubleshooting page will help with diagnosing those kinds of issues.

It can also be caused by other USB devices - sometimes there's significant traffic on the USB bus and it throws off the PowerLinc's timing. Try temporarily disconnecting other USB devices (like hard drives) to see if that changes anything.

The PowerLinc can also get into a bad state and will cause those sorts of errors. Doing a factory reset on it may clear up the problem in that case. Finally, it could be a bad PowerLinc, but that's the least likely I think.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:42 pm
jeff-4 offline

I received the replacement modem from the Indigo Store today. I verified that the old one was still acting flaky, then I removed it and plugged in the replacement and “voila!” everything is working again!

So, it seems this really was a hardware issue rather than an El Capitan issue. I am happy again with Indigo! Thanks for the great customer support! :D

Posted on
Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:58 pm
katiaf offline

Regarding the firewall and constant "accept incoming connection" message...

I was finally able to fix it! It was related to signature of the apps, which is required in El Capitan to be able to authorize incoming connections through the firewall (and "remember" after you authorize). I first tried to re-sign different Indigo components, but that did not make any difference. I should have realized that Python was the culprit, since the message mentions python.

After finding this article https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/18471 ... c-firewall which mentions the same issue but with a different app, I resigned the python as described in the article. Then I rebooted and had to authorize once more. After that, it works after each reboot and it does not require any more authorizations.

Summary of steps:
1) Disable rootless by rebooting in recovery mode (command-R at startup) and running "csrutil disable" from the terminal
2) Reboot and resign python app from terminal. The command is: "sudo codesign -f -s - /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Resources/Python.app" (you may want to repeat with version 2.6 of Python just in case)
3) Reboot in recovery mode to re-enable rootless ("csrutil enable")
4) Reboot one last time normally
5) Launch Indigo and accept incoming connections for one last time

This worked for me, good luck and happy new year!

Posted on
Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:04 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Thanks for finding this fix (and thanks Apple for screwing it up)!

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:08 pm
durosity offline

Perhaps worth posting this as a sticky somewhere?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:19 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

durosity wrote:
Perhaps worth posting this as a sticky somewhere?

Shouldn't you be drinking champagne right about now? Or are you drunk posting? :shock:

Happy New Year!

Jay (Indigo Support)

Page 4 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10