Nest Gen 2 overriding my Plugin settings

Posted on
Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:39 pm
alang_94526 offline

Nest Gen 2 overriding my Plugin settings

First of all, great plugin and thanks for doing this.
I finally lost my patience with the poor reliability of my Venstars and bought a trial Nest Gen 2 device to see if it would be a more reliable solution.
I installed 2.0.32 plugin and it all works as advertised with a couple of exceptions:
- I actively use the heat off and heat on commands to shut off the heating when no-one is home. I find when I change the mode via the plugin, within a few seconds, the Nest changes it back to what it was previously set to. eg. if the heating is currently on and I send a heat off command to it, it goes off for a few seconds and flips back to heat on by itself. Similarly, if I'm in Heat mode and I send a cool command, it goes to cool mode for a few seconds and flips back.
- second issues is the heat points and cool points are 0 in the mode not selected. i.e. if I'm in Heat mode and the coolpoints returned from the Nest are 0. If I flip it to cool mode, the heat points from the Nest are 0. Not a big issue, but wasn't sure if this is intended behavior.

Posted on
Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:35 am
Chameleon offline

Re: Nest Gen 2 overriding my Plugin settings

alang_94526 wrote:
First of all, great plugin and thanks for doing this.
I finally lost my patience with the poor reliability of my Venstars and bought a trial Nest Gen 2 device to see if it would be a more reliable solution.
I installed 2.0.32 plugin and it all works as advertised with a couple of exceptions:
- I actively use the heat off and heat on commands to shut off the heating when no-one is home. I find when I change the mode via the plugin, within a few seconds, the Nest changes it back to what it was previously set to. eg. if the heating is currently on and I send a heat off command to it, it goes off for a few seconds and flips back to heat on by itself. Similarly, if I'm in Heat mode and I send a cool command, it goes to cool mode for a few seconds and flips back.
- second issues is the heat points and cool points are 0 in the mode not selected. i.e. if I'm in Heat mode and the coolpoints returned from the Nest are 0. If I flip it to cool mode, the heat points from the Nest are 0. Not a big issue, but wasn't sure if this is intended behavior.

Nest will do that. I'd be tempted to use the AWAY/HOME feature to manage the NEST as that overrides the NEST Command Management. You can set the away setpoint separately from the normal setpoints and that seems to work fine. So when the home is unoccupied set the NEST to AWAY. You can also set the AWAY temperature on the NEST as well. My NEST is set to 9C for AWAY. So when Indigo realises that no one is at Home it sets the device to AWAY (there's an action command for this that I added) and the heating manages around the new setpoint of 9C. When someone is at home I reset the NEST to HOME and it goes back to managing the temperature around the normal setpoint.

I think that managing the heat off command won't work because the NEST is trying to maintain the current setpoint temperature and so switches it on again! By changing it to away mode it will manage the temperature around the AWAY setpoint which is what you want to achieve. If that's as clear as mud let me know and I'll try again but I've been drinking wine so it might be a little confused :D

I"l need to think about the second point you made. What it's doing is what I intended but I get your point. I don't have a cooling system so it's not an issue for me but I can see how it would be. Let me think about it and I'll let you know.

Regards

Posted on
Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:15 pm
alang_94526 offline

Thanks. I'll try changing things to use Away and Home instead of Off and On.
I wouldn't spend any time on the second issue - it was just an observation of a difference from the vents usage model.
Alan

Posted on
Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:36 am
Chameleon offline

alang_94526 wrote:
Thanks. I'll try changing things to use Away and Home instead of Off and On.
I wouldn't spend any time on the second issue - it was just an observation of a difference from the vents usage model.
Alan

Thanks Alan - let me know how you get on!

Mike

Posted on
Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:06 pm
alang_94526 offline

The Home/Away scheme seems to be working well.
Thanks again

Page 1 of 1