jens offline

Re: Venstar ColorTouch Thermostat Plugin Discussion

Raneil

Posted on
Sat May 23, 2015 8:32 am
raneil offline

rhanson wrote:
Just wanted to chime in and say thanks for writing this plugin. I'm using it with the new T7850 version (replaces the 5800+Wifi key combo). Works great!

That's great news. Thanks very much for the feedback. The ColorTouch API has not been updated, so I had suspected (hoped!) the plugin would work with the newer models. Let me know if you run into any problems or have any questions.

Posted on
Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:55 am
jshields offline

I have on of the new model (T7900) t-stats with the built-in wifi. The plugin does not seem to work with this model.

I get this set of messages upon enabling the comm for the t-stat device.

ColorTouch Thermostat Initiating comm:
ColorTouch Thermostat Network address: 192.168.1.95
ColorTouch Thermostat Auto-Refresh: Enabled
ColorTouch Thermostat Polling interval: 60 seconds
ColorTouch Thermostat Alerts polling: Hourly
ColorTouch Thermostat Communicating with thermostat. On-board API: v5 (residential)
ColorTouch Thermostat sending "Thermostat" status request
ColorTouch Thermostat Error Error in plugin execution ServerReplacedElem:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/IndigoPluginHost.app/Contents/PlugIns/plugin_base.py", line 855, in deviceUpdated
File "plugin.py", line 1158, in deviceStartComm
File "plugin.py", line 251, in _refreshStatesFromHardware
File "plugin.py", line 632, in _queryTstatHardware
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/urllib2.py", line 126, in urlopen
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/urllib2.py", line 391, in open
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/urllib2.py", line 409, in _open
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/urllib2.py", line 369, in _call_chain
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/urllib2.py", line 1181, in http_open
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/urllib2.py", line 1154, in do_open
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/httplib.py", line 996, in getresponse
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/httplib.py", line 397, in begin
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/httplib.py", line 361, in _read_status
<class 'httplib.BadStatusLine'>:

ColorTouch Thermostat Error send "Thermostat" Alert Status request failed

This last line is then repeated every few seconds forever as long as comm is enabled..

Any ideas?

Where did you get docs on the local API?

Thanks,

Jerry

Posted on
Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:47 pm
raneil offline

Jerry,

I've not seen that error before. And while I haven't personally tested the plugin with the 7900, I would expect it to work. Another user (chanson) posted above that it seems to work fine with the 7850, and I've seen nothing to indicate that the API is different between the various models.

What version of Indigo and OS X are you using?

Did you enable the local API on the thermostat? It is disabled by default -- at least it was on my T5900.

Is the thermostat available on your WiFi network?

Try sending it a general query from a web browser like this: "http://192.168.1.95". You should receive a reply instantly that looks something like this: {"api_ver":4,"type":"residential"}.

If that works, then you know your thermostat is available on your network and responding to queries. If so, then the problem is likely with Indigo or the plugin itself. If not, then something must be amiss with the thermostat or its configuration.

Give that a try and let me know what you find out.

The Venstar API documentation can be found here.

Posted on
Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:59 pm
jshields offline

Hi, just got back to reading your reply.

My OS: 10.10.5

Indigo: 6.1.4

Latest version of your plugin.

Response from the browser:

{"api_ver":5,"type":"residential"}

Jerry

Posted on
Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:08 pm
raneil offline

Jerry,

Well, right off the bat I see two differences between your installation and mine (aside from the different model thermostat, that is): You're running OS X 10.10.5, and I'm running 10.9.5. Your thermostat is reporting API v5, and mine is reporting API v4. I'll do some testing with Yosemite and upgrade my thermostat firmware, and report back.

Sorry for your troubles. Bear with me, and we'll see if we can't get it straightened out.

Posted on
Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:57 pm
raneil offline

In the interest of preserving history, I'll leave this post here, unedited. However, it should be noted that the communications problem described herein turned out to be a hardware installation problem (detailed in an updated post, below), and NOT a Venstar firmware bug, as initially suspected.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I've done some additional testing and the news is not good.

It appears Venstar has introduced a serious bug in the new firmware (v4.08.1, API v5). Specifically, the INFO Query now returns an empty string instead of reporting the status of the thermostat as expected (and as documented), effectively making the Local API (and therefore the ColorTouch Plugin) useless. I've emailed Venstar Tech Support, and will report back here if and when I hear anything.

Jerry, if you read this and you get the chance, could you try entering the following URL into your browser: 'http://192.168.1.95/query/info'. This should return a JSON record summarizing the current status of your thermostat. This is what no longer works on my T5900 since I updated the firmware. The error messages I saw in Indigo's log were different from the ones you posted, so I'm curious to see if your thermostat is misbehaving in the same manner as mine. Thanks in advance.

Until this has been resolved, I would strongly encourage anyone currently using the ColorTouch Plugin to avoid updating their ColorTouch Thermostat Firmware.

Posted on
Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:24 am
jshields offline

Well, it's worse than we thought. If I issue a command http://192.168.1.95 I get a response {"api_ver":5,"type":"residential"}

However issuing the command http://192.168.1.95/query/info causes the thermostat to crash and restart.

Sounds like Venstar needs to get their act together and fix the firmware (Mine is: VH 4.08-1A).

Jerry

Posted on
Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:53 am
raneil offline

jshields wrote:
Well, it's worse than we thought. If I issue a command http://192.168.1.95 I get a response {"api_ver":5,"type":"residential"}

However issuing the command http://192.168.1.95/query/info causes the thermostat to crash and restart.

Sounds like Venstar needs to get their act together and fix the firmware (Mine is: VH 4.08-1A).

Jerry

That's odd. I would certainly encourage you to report it to them (thermostatsupport@venstar.com), though I have yet to receive any kind of reply to my emails. I will try again, though.

In the meantime, I have obtained a 2nd T5900 and a 2nd SkyPort WiFi key. I have not yet had the opportunity to fully test out the various combinations, but here's what I've discovered so far:

The 2nd T5900 arrived with firmware version 3.08 (API v3). It seems to work fine using both the newly obtained SkyPort WiFi key, and the older one (which I bought in January, 2014). Here's the weird part: My original T5900, the one that I updated to firmware version v4.08 (also purchased in January, 2014), works properly with the newer WiFi key, but not with the older one -- the one with which it worked perfectly for nearly a year using firmware v3.14. So, the v4.08 firmware problem appears to evidence itself differently depending upon the thermostat/WiFi key hardware with which it's used. Very frustrating....

I hope to do some additional testing, and report back here with Thermostat and WiFi key hardware versions, etc. I'll also forward the information to "thermostatsupport@venstar.com", though I have no idea if anyone's paying attention.

Posted on
Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:52 pm
jshields offline

I just send a support request to Venstar with our results and a request for their help resolving this.

Thanks

Jerry

Posted on
Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:27 pm
raneil offline

jshields wrote:
I just send a support request to Venstar with our results and a request for their help resolving this.

Jerry,

It would appear that the problems you're experiencing are completely unrelated to those that I've seen here. See my next post for updated test results -- my problems don't look to have been firmware related at all, and the symptoms you've reported have been quite different from mine. If your thermostat is crashing/rebooting when you attempt to access the /query/info resource, there is very definitely something wrong. If I were you, I would consider contacting the seller from whom you purchased it and see if you can have it replaced under warranty. Just a suggestion...

Posted on
Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:41 pm
raneil offline

More surprises: additional testing has revealed that the comm problems I encountered before were not firmware related at all, but were in fact the result of a minor installation problem. Specifically, it appears that the contacts on my older WiFi key were a bit dirty or corroded, and that was the source of the comm problems that I originally believed to be firmware-related. I wouldn't have thought it possible, but after cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser (no, seriously!), all of the comm problems disappeared. I can now switch the two WiFi keys between the two thermostats (one with firmware v4.08 and the other with v3.08 that I have since updated to v3.14) with no communication problems.

However now that my comm problems have been corrected, I believe I've discovered a real (albeit far less serious) bug in the new firmware (v4.08-1). The humidity-related values being returned via the local API are not consistent with values returned in previous firmware versions I’ve tested (v3.08, API v3, and 3.14, API v4); the values for Humidity, Humidify Set Point, and Dehumidify Set Point are not correct. Furthermore, attempting to set the Humidify To and/or Dehumidify To Set Points further scrambles the values returned -- even though the actual values internal to the thermostat (at least so far as they're displayed on the touchscreen) appear to be updated correctly.

I have sent an email complete with screenshots to Venstar Developer Support (developersupport@venstar.com). Note that this is a different email address from the one I posted above. This is the one listed on the Venstar Developer webpages.

If you are a ColorTouch Plugin user experiencing problems with the humidity-related data from a ColorTouch thermostat running firmware v4.08 or later, and would like to test a beta version of the plugin to deal with the issue, send me a PM. I hesitate to publicly release an update without knowing how/when Venstar plans to address this issue.

Posted on
Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:04 am
raneil offline

Good news: I just received a response from Venstar Developer Support:

"We are aware of the API bug for humidity. We are working on a fix and will release it soon."

Posted on
Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:26 pm
jshields offline

The response from Venstar on the crash/reboot problems was particularly unhelpful. They seemed to totally ignore the issue of the crashing on that info command and only stated that there were no firmware differences between your wifi keys. I guess I'll try them again.

In any case If I enable your plugin I get all those Python errors and nothing works on the Indigo side for the thermostat. I suppose it might be a difference in the firmware in the thermostat itself since mine has the wifi built in rather than external so it may respond differently, even though I think it shouldn't be that case.

Is it possible that the python in 10.10.5 is different from what you are running? Also, this is a Mac OS Server, so I suppose that could be part of the difference.

I'm not a python person so I'm not the best to debug that level of thing.

Is there any other information I can gather for you? Could you make a debug version of your plugin with some logging so we can see exactly where things are working vs failing?

Thanks,

Jerry

Posted on
Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:45 am
raneil offline

jshields wrote:
The response from Venstar on the crash/reboot problems was particularly unhelpful. They seemed to totally ignore the issue of the crashing on that info command and only stated that there were no firmware differences between your wifi keys. I guess I'll try them again.

If you do, I suggest you use developersupport@venstar.com rather than the other address I posted, above. They're correct about the WiFi keys, of course. That turned out to be a red herring -- sorry for the confusion. It was a silly installation problem on my end.

jshields wrote:
In any case If I enable your plugin I get all those Python errors and nothing works on the Indigo side for the thermostat. I suppose it might be a difference in the firmware in the thermostat itself since mine has the wifi built in rather than external so it may respond differently, even though I think it shouldn't be that case.

I would think there would have to be minor firmware differences under the hood to support the newer hardware. But I find it very difficult to believe that Venstar would have released it with a bug so serious that a simple status query crashes the thermostat.

jshields wrote:
Is it possible that the python in 10.10.5 is different from what you are running? Also, this is a Mac OS Server, so I suppose that could be part of the difference.

I'm not a python person so I'm not the best to debug that level of thing.

Yes, it's possible; even likely. But that's a better question for Matt or Jay than for me. That said, I have tested the plugin with client version of Yosemite (10.10.5) and Indigo 6.1.4, and it seemed to work fine for me.

jshields wrote:
Is there any other information I can gather for you?

You mentioned that when you send a status query to the thermostat using your browser, it causes the thermostat to crash. Does it do this consistently, every time you send the status query?

Does it also crash when you attempt to load the plugin?

Do you have the optional, wired external sensor connected to your thermostat?

jshields wrote:
Could you make a debug version of your plugin with some logging so we can see exactly where things are working vs failing?

Perhaps, but I'm not sure we'd learn much that we don't already know. We know the thermostat is responding properly to an API version query, but failing to respond properly to a status query -- without which, the plugin is useless.

We need to drill down on that. Try this: Using your browser, send the following queries, in this order -- this will exactly simulate the sequence of commands sent from the plugin during Comm Initialization:

Type this in your browser's URL field and press RETURN:
Code: Select all
http://192.168.1.95/

Your thermostat should respond with something similar to:
{"api_ver":5,"type":"residential"}

Next, type this in your browser's URL field and press RETURN:
http://192.168.1.95/query/info

{"name":"Original","mode":1,"state":0,"fan":0,"fanstate":0,"tempunits":0,"schedule":0,"schedulepart":255,"away":0,"spacetemp":72.0,"heattemp":70.0,"cooltemp":79.0,"cooltempmin":35.0,"cooltempmax":99.0,"heattempmin":35.00,"heattempmax":99.0,"hum":0,"hum_setpoint":27,"dehum_setpoint":25,"hum_active":77,"setpointdelta":3.0,"availablemodes":0}

Next (assuming it doesn't crash, or if it does, after it reboots), type this in your browser's URL field and press RETURN:
http://192.168.1.95/query/sensors

{"sensors":[{"name":"Thermostat","temp":72.0,"hum":27},{"name":"Remote","temp":0.0}]}

http://192.168.1.95/query/alerts

{"alerts":[{"name":"Air Filter","active":false},{"name":"UV Lamp","active":false},{"name":"Service","active":false}]}

http://192.168.1.95/query/runtimes

{"runtimes":[{"ts":1452124800,"heat1":0,"heat2":0,"cool1":0,"cool2":0,"aux1":0,"aux2":0,"fc":0},{"ts":1452211200,"heat1":0,"heat2":0,"cool1":0,"cool2":0,"aux1":0,"aux2":0,"fc":0},{"ts":1452297600,"heat1":0,"heat2":0,"cool1":0,"cool2":0,"aux1":0,"aux2":0,"fc":0},{"ts":1452556800,"heat1":25,"heat2":0,"cool1":0,"cool2":0,"aux1":0,"aux2":0,"fc":0},{"ts":1452643200,"heat1":207,"heat2":0,"cool1":0,"cool2":0,"aux1":0,"aux2":0,"fc":0},{"ts":1452729600,"heat1":44,"heat2":0,"cool1":0,"cool2":0,"aux1":0,"aux2":0,"fc":0},{"ts":1452757227,"heat1":0,"heat2":0,"cool1":0,"cool2":0,"aux1":0,"aux2":0,"fc":0}]}