X10 Motion Detector on INSTEON network?

Posted on
Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:08 pm
jragon offline

X10 Motion Detector on INSTEON network?

Ahoy!

I just got an ActiveEye Sensor (MS15A) and I'm eager to get it on the Insteon-based network I just set up.

The directions tell me to press one button, then press the other, then walk near the sensor and it will send a signal to whatever light is set to A1. But I don't have an X10 light for testing, I just want to send it to Indigo.

So I told Indigo to set up a new X10 device, with the model "Motion Detector" and the address "A1". I then set a trigger so if type "X10/RF Command Received/"Any Command", my Mac talks.

But it doesn't work and I'm not sure how to ping the device to make sure it's truly on the network. Any thoughts? I'm coming up empty on good documentation guides for newbies like me.

Thanks!

Posted on
Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:25 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: X10 Motion Detector on INSTEON network?

jragon wrote:
Ahoy!

I just got an ActiveEye Sensor (MS15A) and I'm eager to get it on the Insteon-based network I just set up.

What are you using to receive the RF command from the MS15A? Is it one of the X10 RF to power line transceivers (plugs into wall; has a metal antenna)? Did you set its house code to A? Try plugging it into the same outlet as your PowerLinc -- you might have a X10 power line signal problem that is keeping the commands from getting from the transceiver to your PowerLinc.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:27 pm
jragon offline

support wrote:
What are you using to receive the RF command from the MS15A?

Ah ha. That would be my problem. Thank you :)

(blush)

Posted on
Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:22 am
kpfriedberg offline

I just got an MS16, i have only insteon equipment otherwise...how can I get my insteon network to recognize the ActiveEye? Thanks in advance.

Posted on
Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:58 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

You need an X10 RF interface - Indigo supports the W800 and the MR26. You can also use one of those TM751 mini transceivers that takes a single house code and puts it on the powerline.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:13 am
kpfriedberg offline

jay wrote:
You need an X10 RF interface - Indigo supports the W800 and the MR26. You can also use one of those TM751 mini transceivers that takes a single house code and puts it on the powerline.

Ach!!! Where do I get one of those?

Posted on
Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:54 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Um - see the links in the post...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:10 am
kpfriedberg offline

jay wrote:
Um - see the links in the post...

Duh. Sorry. Thought those were otter motion sensors. Thanks.

Posted on
Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:47 pm
kpfriedberg offline

jay wrote:

So I if I use a TM751, Indigo will recognize it (and it will be set up to read signals from only 1 MS16), and enable me to create triggers off the motion detector right? But I need one TM751 per MS16. Is that right?

Posted on
Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:36 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Actually you have as many as 16 sensors on 1 TM751, one for each unit code on the same house code.

Carl

Posted on
Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:09 pm
johnpolasek offline

ckeyes888 wrote:
Actually you have as many as 16 sensors on 1 TM751, one for each unit code on the same house code.

Carl

Technically, you can have more than that if you have a big area to cover... My kitchen has two widely separated doors that can't be covered by a single motion sensor, and I had problems with the light not coming on till I was halfway across the room from one or the other door. So I put one Hawkeye watching each door and set both of them to A3 (called Kitchen Motion in the automation software)... That's one advantage that the old X10 system over Insteon... I didn't have to sum them in software :lol: (Unfortunately, the response was STILL too slow, and I decided not to be so lazy I couldn't turn on a light myself).

Page 1 of 1