RFXCOM error: Unable to initialise comm port

Posted on
Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:26 pm
mrg1 offline

RFXCOM error: Unable to initialise comm port

I am unable to retain stable operation of a RFZtrx433e and would welcome advice on next steps. Indigo 6 pro runs on a mac mini 2007 under 10.7.5. I don't run 24/7 and it has become a lottery whether on startup the system runs without errors or the log shows
" RFXCOM initializing communication on port /dev/cu.usbserial-A1XZPVF6 at speed 38400
RFXCOM Error initialization failed (retrying in 10 seconds)"[/code].

There are no other usb devices connected except keyboard
Tests to date include: systematic swopping ports and USB leads, reinstalling FTDI driver (2.2.18) and RFXCOM plugin (1.6.3 and 1.7.0) and reinstalling indigo 6. Running on a different machine under 10.8.5 also produces the same error although I have not done exhaustive tests. The 433e works consistently when plugged into a windows 7 machine with RFXmgr.
The mac recognises the 433 when plugged in at the level of "about this mac" even when the error is showing. Advice on how best to isolate the problem between OS/Indigo/Driver/plugin/hardware would be very welcome.

When operating correctly the system acts exactly as i would expect.
martin

Posted on
Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:51 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: RFXCOM error: Unable to initialise comm port

First thing I'd try is upgrading the FTDI driver to the 2.3 version, which is the current one.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:37 pm
mrg1 offline

Unfortunately V2.3 appears only to be good for 10.9 + (and I've tried to install but the system won't have it)

Martin

Posted on
Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:42 am
mrg1 offline

Given the apparent number of RFXCOM users and low number of this reporting this problem implies that the inability to open a link to the tx/rx is not common. Nevertheless having to wait for up to two hours before the software and hardware sync after a configuration change to the plugin renders , at least for me, the use indigo in doubt. The same problem occurs on 3 machines all running different versions of OS X. The hardware seems not to be the common factor because on one of these machines i have run RFXMgr very successfully under win XP using parallels desktop.
Does anyone have suggestions as to how to identify whether the fault resides within the plugin, indigo or the interface between the two? or the driver?

martin

Posted on
Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:29 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Given the error, it's some kind of problem when the plugin tries to open the serial port - so either the plugin, the driver, or the RFX is the issue. Robert, thoughts?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:23 am
RJdeKok offline

I just put a new version of the plugin here:http://www.rjdekok.nl/downloads/rfxcom.indigoplugin.zip
Can you give it a try?

Posted on
Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:56 am
mrg1 offline

Thanks for supplying an updated version but unfortunately the same problem occurs: after making any changes to the plugin setup the system typically takes over 60 minutes to receive a response to the init command.

martin

Posted on
Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:07 pm
RJdeKok offline

Hi,

Did you ever try to get access to the rfx with another program?
I myself often use the Arduino IDE. This free program has a nice RS232 Monitor.
I don't think it has anything to do with the Plugin or Indigo. My experience with this kind of issues is always about FTDI drivers.

Regard, Robert.

Page 1 of 1