INSTEON MorningLinc

Posted on
Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:07 pm
captcurrent offline

Re: INSTEON MorningLinc

Can ant one recommend another option? Two of my Morning Linc have failed with a week of each other... This is a second time one of them failed

I just can't trust them anymore (well; at least they failed locked)

Posted on
Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:33 pm
kw123 offline

try to resync with indigo , had to do this once before then they worked again

Posted on
Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:59 pm
captcurrent offline

On the oneT

ried that the lock I/O no problem the Unlock lots of error no communication

On the other
just rapid beeping to indigo and the keypad

This is the third time actually for that door.... too many failure

not sure what wave covers

Posted on
Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:10 pm
montsharp offline

MorningLinc

I can not get the MorninLinc to link with Indigo. I push the set button, go to new device, define and sync, it recognizes and puts in the correct address, but will not link. Any ideas?

Posted on
Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:21 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

If it is a new MorningLinc, then it is not yet compatible with Indigo. We have it working in an internal build and will include support for it in Indigo 6.1.3 (not yet released).

Posted on
Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:42 am
peppermintjigsaw offline

Thanks for this!

Posted on
Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:23 pm
mattyf offline

Question on the new MiLocks

I am considering buying the MILOCKS QF-01SN. I currently have a Schlage Connect Camelot Touchscreen Deadbolt, but bought it before I fully understood the limitations Indigo has with Z-Wave locks, and how unstable the workarounds are.

I read earlier in the forum that the older model MorningLincs were not two-way, but that was posted over two years ago. Has this been resolved in the newer models? I don't want to switch out the hardware if it's still not 2-way.

Thanks!

Posted on
Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:54 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Based on my testing of the newer MorningLincs, they still do NOT report lock status.

Posted on
Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:27 pm
kw123 offline

I have added a sensor into the case that sends back the lock/unlock, but requires some work. But has been working for > 18 months now without any hickups.

Posted on
Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:34 pm
mattyf offline

Is the the sensor that was detailed earlier in the thread? If not, would you mind sharing details?

OR--

Is there an alternative solution available?

Posted on
Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:41 pm
kw123 offline

Is the the sensor that was detailed earlier in the thread?
yes

was fun to do, BUT you really need to be able to use technical tools and need to be able to solder.

Karl

Posted on
Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:33 am
raneil offline

Here’s some additional info for those that want to add a locked/unlocked status sensor their MiLocks. I was able to apply the information provided by Karl (@kw123) to the INSTEON® Hidden Door Sensor 2845-222 to achieve the same results. This sensor has a smaller circuit board that fits easily inside the MiLocks enclosure once the battery-holder clips have been cut off. And because the circuit board is otherwise unaltered, you retain full use of the Reset Switch. Otherwise, I don’t see that this method is any better, easier, or more cost-effective than the one Karl outlined, but it is an alternative. It’s been working well now in 3 different MiLocks (a doorknob, a lever, and a deadbolt) for over a month. I have no complaints.

Detailed write-up with plenty of photos.

Posted on
Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:25 pm
raneil offline

nsheldon wrote:
I've never needed to use PowerLinc Scenes to turn the MorningLinc on or off. I use standard on/off appliance/device controls to turn on/off the MorningLinc (and the associated lock). It's tricky to get this to work though. You have to Define and Sync it twice... once for lock and once for unlock. I had a hard time with this because you have to get the button press sequence on the MorningLinc right when selecting which of the two lock states to link to. I had to follow the SmartLabs linking instructions very closely. It's also possible to link the locked state to either on or off commands. I'll paraphrase the SmartLabs instructions below assuming that when you turn the MorningLinc ON, it turns the lock ON (locked).

Linking LOCKED to Turn ON Command.

1. If necessary, tap the MorningLinc’s Set button (once) to put it into the locked state.
  2. Open the Indigo device's Define and Sync dialog (double-click the device, click Define-and-Sync).
  3. Press and hold MorningLinc’s Set button for 3 seconds. The MorningLinc Status LED will flash once and then turn on solid (indicating that the door is locked).
  4. Wait for the linking process to complete. If it hangs waiting for a reply from the MorningLinc, repeat step 3 and allow the sync to complete.

Linking UNLOCKED to Turn OFF Command.

1. If necessary, tap the MorningLinc’s Set button (once) to put it into the unlocked state.
  2. Open the Indigo device's Define and Sync dialog (double-click the device, click Define-and-Sync).
  3. Double-tap the MorningLinc’s Set button and wait for 3 seconds before moving on to the next step.
  4. Press and hold the MorningLinc’s Set button for 3 seconds. The MorningLinc Status LED will flash once and then turn off (indicating that the door is unlocked).
  5. Wait for the linking process to complete. If it hangs waiting for a reply from the MorningLinc, repeat both steps 3 and 4 and allow the sync to complete.

Steps 3 and 4 for the UNLOCKED condition are very important. If you don't double-tap the Set button and let go of it, waiting at least 3 seconds before pressing-and-holding the Set button again in step 4, this will not work.

Kudos to @nsheldon!

I don't know how I missed this post previously, but I'm sure glad I found it! I would like to add my voice to those confirming that this works as described. I have deleted all of the PowerLinc Scenes for each of my lock controllers. And after following these procedures, each of my three lock controllers now responds as expected to simple ON and OFF Insteon commands. ON locks, and OFF unlocks. It seems to be noticeably faster, too. A significant improvement!

For the record, these procedures worked equally well with both the older MorningLinc Controller (model 2458A1) and the newer Insteon® 2862-222 Lock Controller.

I humbly suggest the moderators consider amending the MroningLinc How To Wiki to include this information, as it definitely simplifies using these lock controllers with Indigo.

Posted on
Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:10 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Good idea. I just updated the Wiki. Thanks for the suggestion, and thanks to nsheldon for the detailed steps.

Posted on
Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:16 am
nsheldon offline

Glad it was helpful. :)