Mertik Maxitrol support

Posted on
Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:43 am
colinpartridge offline

Mertik Maxitrol support

I have a gas fire that is remote controlled via a Mertik Maxitrol rf remote, which is supported by the RFXcom transciever and is a supported protocol within the RFXcom plugin. I can send basic on/off , up/down commands to the fire using RFXmngr but there isn't a model type (thermostat 3?) to match the protocol in the Indigo Plugin. Is there a model type I should be using? or another way to duplicate this unit?
Colin

Posted on
Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:37 am
durosity offline

Re: Mertik Maxitrol support

Out of interest what kind of fire do you have that supports this?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:21 am
colinpartridge offline

durosity wrote:
Out of interest what kind of fire do you have that supports this?

Its a Faber Jelling Gas stove..http://www.faber.nl/site/default.asp?land=uk&subject=product&keuze=Gashaarden&categorie=Freestanding&naam=Jelling. The remote control has some internal basic thermostatic controls so that you can control the room temperature or by timer. However its not the most user friendly of devices, and its default mode is manual on/off which can prove to be expensive if you forget you have left it on!

Colin

Posted on
Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:13 am
Redleg offline

Colin,

I was wondering if you already managed to get your fireplace controlled through Indigo and RFXcom plugin?
I have a similar setup and would like to be able to control it automatically if possible.

A related question: how did you figure out the code of the Mertik Maxitrol remote for your fireplace?

Thanks.

Posted on
Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:09 pm
colinpartridge offline

Redleg wrote:
Colin,

I was wondering if you already managed to get your fireplace controlled through Indigo and RFXcom plugin?
I have a similar setup and would like to be able to control it automatically if possible.

A related question: how did you figure out the code of the Mertik Maxitrol remote for your fireplace?

Thanks.

I haven't been able to control the fire using the indigo version of RFXCOM plugin as it doesn't support the thermostat 3 model type. I have been able to control on and off using the rfxmanager software. I might look at trying to control the fire using alternative software.

Colin

Posted on
Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:38 am
RJdeKok offline

A new version of RFXCOM is available with Mertik transmit support.
I really like to know if it works!
http://www.rjdekok.nl/downloads/rfxcom.indigoplugin.zip

Posted on
Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:32 am
colinpartridge offline

HI RJdeKok
Good to see a new version to try :D
Installed new plugin version and enabled Mertik support. However with my g6r-h4t remote I get a "unknown device type detected (type = 66)" message in the event log. I also don't see a menu item for "on". I am however able to send commands to the fire with RFXmgr.

Colin

Posted on
Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:36 pm
RJdeKok offline

Hi Colin,

Thats correct, I also build in the Mertik transmit protocol. Is receiving also necessary?

Posted on
Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:15 pm
colinpartridge offline

RJdeKok wrote:
Thats correct, I also build in the Mertik transmit protocol. Is receiving also necessary?

Actually you are right I don't need receive support. However I haven't managed to control the fire as yet, This could be down to distance between the RFXcom unit and the Mertik receiver. As I mentioned before there doesn't seem to be a control in the plugin menu for "Mertik On"

Colin

Posted on
Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:47 am
colinpartridge offline

Further to my last post I have ascertained that its not the distance between transmitter and receiver that is the issue. If it helps below is a clip of the RFXmgr log related to a couple of working commands sent from Rfxcom to fire.

Code: Select all
0842010003E5AF0271
Packettype    = Thermostat3
subtype       = Mertik G6R-H4TB, G6R-H4T, G6R-H4TV21-Z22
Sequence nbr  = 0
ID            = 0x3E5AF
Command       = Up
Signal level  = 7
------------------------------------------------
0842010103E5AF0371
Sequence nbr  = 1
ID            = 0x3E5AF
Command       = Down
Signal level  = 7
------------------------------------------------
0842010303E5AF0071
Sequence nbr  = 3
ID            = 0x3E5AF
Command       = Off
Signal level  = 7

and the same from sending a down command from the RFXcom plugin

Code: Select all
 RFXCOM Debug                    validating Action Config called
  RFXCOM Debug                    Turn Mertik Appliance/Dimmer Down (level 0).
  RFXCOM Debug                    Address 03EFAF
  RFXCOM Debug                    Commcode Down
  RFXCOM Debug                    send x10 cmd: 8 66 1 0 3 239 175 3 0 (08 42 01 00 03 EF AF 03 00)
  RFXCOM Debug                    processing: 4 2 1 0 0 (04 02 01 00 00)
  RFXCOM Debug                    ACK Message ACK, transmit OK
  RFXCOM Debug                    ++++++++++++++

hope this points to a solution..
Cheers and thanks for your hard work.
Colin

Posted on
Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:28 am
b_weijenberg offline

The ID used in RFXmngr is different from the ID used in the plug-in!

RFXmngr ID = 0x3E5AF
plug-in Address 03EFAF

Posted on
Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:57 am
colinpartridge offline

b_weijenberg wrote:
The ID used in RFXmngr is different from the ID used in the plug-in!

RFXmngr ID = 0x3E5AF
plug-in Address 03EFAF

now this is weird... On Thursday when I tried this out I couldn't get this to work at all, and now I have control! I did reload the plugin just to make sure it was installed, but apart from that nothing has changed. The plug-in device address I am using is 03EFAF and is working. I was of course being completely dumb with regard to the On command, its right there in the device controls as well as Off..duh.
So all is good and working this morning!
The primary reason for wanting to get this working is to make sure that the fire is turned off when nobody is at home ( when the alarm is set) , but I suppose I could now build some temperature control for it, separate to the one built into the remote.

Many thanks for the support for this remote. That and the Byron Support has solved two outstanding areas of control all in one release!

cheers

Colin

Posted on
Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:38 am
colinpartridge offline

RJdeKok wrote:
Hi Colin,

Actually receiving would be handy, that way you could track the state of the Fire if its controlled from the remote rather than Indigo.

Colin

Posted on
Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:29 am
PeteVis offline

Hello Colin,

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm interested in controlling my fire as well.

The thing is, I have two fires in two rooms (bellfires, but they are the same people who make faber), and they both use the Mertik controllers.

Now for the question, do you think it would be possible that I can control both fires from one RFXCOM unit ? Or do I need to buy one unit per fire that I want to control ?

I suppose each of the Mertik handheld transmitters is set to a certain ID, but how would I recognize this inside the RFXCOM software ? Is there some kind of learn facility so I can catch the ID of the transmitters, and emulate this in Indigo ?

Sorry if these questions sound a bit simple, but I just learned about RFXCom a few minutes ago and going through the manual does not answer my questions.

Peter

Posted on
Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:55 am
b_weijenberg offline

You can control as many Mertik fire places as you like with one RFXtrx433E..

Check if the remote commands are received with the Mertik protocol enabled in the RFXtrx433E.
The G6R-H4S is not received but most other are received.