Can't successfully set up

Posted on
Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:34 pm
wikner offline

Can't successfully set up

After setting this up as shown (see screenshot; I have redacted the username) I get the following:
Code: Select all
Mar 21, 2016, 9:14:23 PM
  iCal Alarm Processor            Debug logging disabled

Mar 21, 2016, 9:17:33 PM
  iCal Alarm Processor Error      Unknown error (possibly IMAP server connection error): need more than 1 value to unpack

Mar 21, 2016, 9:22:35 PM
  iCal Alarm Processor Error      Unknown error (possibly IMAP server connection error): need more than 1 value to unpack

I have gone into the account settings, turned off 2-part authentication and turned on "allow less secure apps to access this account". Before I did the latter, I was getting this:
Code: Select all
Mar 21, 2016, 9:04:16 PM
  iCal Alarm Processor Error      Unknown error (possibly IMAP server connection error): [ALERT] Please log in via your web browser: https://support.google.com/mail/accounts/answer/78754 (Failure)

What does this mean and what should I do?
Attachments
Screenshot 2016-03-21 19.23.13.png
Screenshot 2016-03-21 19.23.13.png (65.19 KiB) Viewed 2730 times

Posted on
Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:48 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Can't successfully set up

Not sure, it's a Google thing. I'd recommend reading the page it pointed to in the error (https://support.google.com/mail/accounts/answer/78754) and follow the advise there.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:51 pm
wikner offline

Sigh... :cry:
Alas, I did go to that site in response to the error, and I think I followed all of the instructions. That's how I got to that second error message (the first one I posted; the time stamps reveal the order). I can try to post on google forums. Is the error, "need more than 1 value to unpack" directly from Google?

Posted on
Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:06 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Putting logs in chronological order is usually preferable so we don't have to attempt to reverse engineer them.

I stopped using gmail because of it's various inconsistencies, and it appears that was a good thing. I just tried it again, and Google's IMAP server is returning messages it's not supposed to when I do a search for alert messages. This is causing the plugin to stop processing, at least for that cycle. It will actually pick up the next cycle. It appears that the IMAP search results include Google-generated emails - at least for me it's returning Youtube emails even though they don't match the search criteria (these seem to be some from the Social tab in their web UI). Shouldn't be surprised I suppose.

I'm looking at modifying the plugin to further manually filter emails since Google/gmail sucks at it, but I'm not going to get to it very quickly (maybe the next dot release). My recommendation is to use a different email provider.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:13 pm
wikner offline

Will do. I'll set up a new Apple Mail account and try that.

Page 1 of 1