How to get started with Easydaq?

Posted on
Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:45 pm
auto_man offline

How to get started with Easydaq?

I would like to start using an Easydaq Relay I/O card. I need to find a substitute for the relays, digital inputs, and analog inputs that I have been using for years with JDS Stargate systems. I've been working with Indigo for about a year now, while at the same time continuing to run Stargate independent of Indigo (in two different homes). I'd like to take Stargate offline and have it's output/input functions taken over by Indigo.

With all that said, I've read the Wiki on Easydaq use. Is there a best USB EasyDaq board for a novice to get started with? I would currently need about 8 relays, 8 digital inputs, and a few analog inputs.

Posted on
Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:51 am
mclass offline

Re: How to get started with Easydaq?

I have been using Karl's great Arduino plug in with Arduino Uno and the new wireless ESP modules, coupled with off-the-shelf relay cards with great success. Also offers digital inputs, and with the right selection of Arduino/ESP modules analog inputs. The Sparkfun Thing module also offers built in battery operation for those remote hard-to-get-to locations. Check out the Arduino thread on this forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:26 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Another option as well is Phidgets. Here is a good forum thread that talks about the pros and cons of each.

Posted on
Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:04 am
berkinet offline

You might also want to check around and see how well EasyDaq is being supported by the vendor. The founder of the company, and apparent brains behind the products, died a. couple of years ago, and service , and probably any development, became close to non-existent.

Things may well have improved since then. But, it wouldn't hurt to drop them a note asking about anything and see how long it takes to get a response.

Posted on
Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:29 pm
4billl offline

2 Questions:

1) I'm using 3 EasyDAQ USB16PRMxN cards but have run out of USB ports. Has anyone had good success with a USB hub? If so, what brand/model would you recommend? (I am supplying the external 5V for the relays, but would assume I need a powered hub for the USB electronics on board.)

BTW - I have had success with a USB 2.0 extender. (Albeit I have only had it running for about a week so far.) I am using a "Your Cable Store 80 Foot USB 2.0 High Speed Active Extension / Repeater Cable" I purchased on Amazon. Be aware the mid- cable amplifier requires a 1 -1/4" conduit or bigger.)

2) Has anyone had any luck with the EasyDAQ network card, NET16PRMx? It is listed in the device choice of New Device menu. But I have not tried to communicate with one. Would I need to set it's IP using a Windows computer to run the Lantronix setup program? Or is there a way to set its IP using a Mac?

Page 1 of 1