DynDNS Zero Conf Networking Setup for Airport

Posted on
Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:01 pm
Welshdog offline

DynDNS Zero Conf Networking Setup for Airport

I think this is something new from DynDNS. I searched and could not find and specific references on the Indigo forums. This is different from the Mac OS DynDNS Update Client they have offered for some time.

Dyn has a page detailing configuration of your DynDNS Standard service and your Airport or Time Capsule to use Zero Configuration Networking to automatically maintain a constant IP. It takes some time to enter special records into your Dyn account and your Airport. Also you will need Airport Utility 5.6 or older to set this up. The new Airport 6 (Lion) does not give you access to the advanced settings.

http://dyn.com/support/airport-time-cap ... namic-dns/

So far this seems to be working as advertised. I am only using it with an IP security camera right now, but I'll be setting up a Mac Mini server soon to test it further.

Posted on
Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:22 pm
Exten offline

Re: DynDNS Zero Conf Networking Setup for Airport

This is interesting, but what purpose does it serve to have these DNS
records reside outside of your local network?

I'm curious because I use BIND on a linux box to provide internal
DNS services for my home lan. BIND is authorative for my domain name
and I have dynamic updates working. My DHCP service and BIND are
on the same linux box so my updates for my local stuff happen right there.
I also use dyndns to get to my home network when I am outside
of the home network.

I'm wondering if there is an advantage beyond not having to maintain
a linux services scenario. Seems like a weird thing to have publicly
accessible SRV records concerning the internals of your home network.

Posted on
Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:00 pm
Welshdog offline

I didn't follow everything you were talking about, but my understanding is that this is a way to keep a domain name always pointing to your router even if the IP address of your cable modem changes. I don't pay Time Warner for a fixed IP so this setup is able to detect a change and make adjustments accordingly. What's new is that DynDNS has made it work with the Apple Airport/Time Capsule routers like mine.

All I know is that is works for me and my domain name which I use for access to various cameras and eventually a website.

Posted on
Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:03 pm
Exten offline

I see. I use a sonicwall firewall and my setup is alot different in that I don't have any apple products directly facing the outside world.
I don't use Apple products for routing out of my network nor their firewalling capabilities. Sometimes I think life would be alot
simpler if I did :) I think you're winning the battle!

Posted on
Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:45 pm
Welshdog offline

We have a Sonicwall at work. I didn't set it up, but it has been great. Set it and forget it.

Page 1 of 1