AD2USB & Vista 21P Questions

Posted on
Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:44 pm
ethanw offline

AD2USB & Vista 21P Questions

Quick questionss:

1. I am about to purchase the AD2USB module for my 21P alarm board. On the 21P alarm board I already have one LCD keyboard and a standard keyboard. Will adding the AD2USB overlad the alarm board as in taking to much voltage? Do I need a sperate power suply for the AD2USB module? Would it work?

2. Is it possible using INDIGO to automate and send basic commands to this AD2USB module? I want to be able to arm / disarm my alarm at specific time of the day. Has it been done before?

Posted on
Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:47 pm
bbruck offline

Re: AD2USB & Vista 21P Questions

I have a Vista 21P and the AD2USB and have had no power problems.

Berkinet has a plugin to do exactly what you want! Look in the plugins forum at the bottom of the forum list - 3rd party developers - you'll see it - it is FANTASTIC!!!

Posted on
Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:00 pm
ethanw offline

Thank you Sir... Good stuff :-) I will check it out indeed.....

bbruck wrote:
I have a Vista 21P and the AD2USB and have had no power problems.

Berkinet has a plugin to do exactly what you want! Look in the plugins forum at the bottom of the forum list - 3rd party developers - you'll see it - it is FANTASTIC!!!

Posted on
Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:11 am
mathewss offline

ethanw wrote:
Quick questionss:

1. I am about to purchase the AD2USB module for my 21P alarm board. On the 21P alarm board I already have one LCD keyboard and a standard keyboard. Will adding the AD2USB overlad the alarm board as in taking to much voltage? Do I need a sperate power suply for the AD2USB module? Would it work?

According to the install manual the Alpha keypad will use 100ma the fixed keypad will use 30ma the latest revision of the AD2USB uses less than 7ma all previous generations use between 25 and 30ma

Based upon what you say you have installed you have used less than 1/4 of your available power of 600ma once the AD2USB is installed.

Re
Sean M

struct SoftwareProfessional {
double salary;
long lunches;
float jobs;
char unstable;
void work;
short tempers;
};

Posted on
Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:47 am
ethanw offline

Thank you very much Mathew. The AD2USB should be here anytime now. Can't wait :-)

mathewss wrote:
ethanw wrote:
Quick questionss:

According to the install manual the Alpha keypad will use 100ma the fixed keypad will use 30ma the latest revision of the AD2USB uses less than 7ma all previous generations use between 25 and 30ma

Based upon what you say you have installed you have used less than 1/4 of your available power of 600ma once the AD2USB is installed.

Re
Sean M

Posted on
Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:50 pm
ethanw offline

OK I just got my AD2USB today and I am about to wire it and start configuring it.

I am reading the instructions from this place and I see no mention of installing a driver. Everything else makes perfect sense
http://perceptiveautomation.com/wiki/doku.php?id=ademco_alarm_system

Is a driver required to be installed and is the one from this page?
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Posted on
Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:58 pm
berkinet offline

ethane wrote:
...Is a driver required to be installed and is the one from this page?

Depending on the MacOS version you are running, you may or may not need a driver. You can tell quite easily. Plug in the ad2usb and if you see a new device in "/dev" (like /dev/tty.usbserial-A9008ABC) you do not need the drivers.

Also, if you are using Indigo 5.0.x, note that @hamw's wiki article is now (as of today) slightly out of date. The latest version (0.9.16) of the ad2usb plugin supports configuring the ad2usb from the plugin itself. So, if you have installed the plugin, you can skip everything after step 6.

See this topic for more information about the plugin.

Posted on
Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:57 pm
ethanw offline

Thanks much, I will try after I figure how to add an extra keypad address to my Vista 15P panel.

berkinet wrote:
ethane wrote:
...Is a driver required to be installed and is the one from this page?

Depending on the MacOS version you are running, you may or may not need a driver. You can tell quite easily. Plug in the ad2usb and if you see a new device in "/dev" (like /dev/tty.usbserial-A9008ABC) you do not need the drivers.

Also, if you are using Indigo 5.0.x, note that @hamw's wiki article is now (as of today) slightly out of date. The latest version (0.9.16) of the ad2usb plugin supports configuring the ad2usb from the plugin itself. So, if you have installed the plugin, you can skip everything after step 6.

See this topic for more information about the plugin.

Posted on
Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:57 pm
ethanw offline

So I got the AD2USB wired and it shows up as new USB device....

Now I am stuck at 6. Add a KeyPad Address in your Alarm Panel for the AD2USB

I already have to keypads so I guess address 16 and 17 are taken. How can I use one of the existing keypads to add/program another keypad address for the AD2USB device. I am kind of lost and not sure what exact commands to enter. I do have the master code for my Vista 15P alarm. I will read up more I guess.

Posted on
Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:04 pm
berkinet offline

I believe you will want to use field *191 for keypad address 18. The instructions are given in field 190. But, essentially I think you want to enter programmer mode and then press press
*191 1 0 and then *99

Posted on
Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:42 pm
ethanw offline

Yeap thanks I just got pass that:

enter programming mode:
installer code8000
*192 1 0 ( this is for address 19 since 16,17,and 18 are already taken by 2 keypads and a remote BAT module)

So that's done. When I go to step 7. Establish communication with the AD2USB from the Terminal and step 8. Assign a Keypad Address to the AD2USB all I get is a bunch ??????? after issuing the cu command. See bellow.

Am I missing something? How do I troubleshoot this?

exiled:dev root# cd /dev/
exiled:dev root# ls -al *usb*
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 10, 3 Dec 21 17:35 cu.usbserial-A8006VSZ
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 10, 1 Dec 21 17:35 cu.usbserial-A8008ZRJ
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 10, 2 Dec 21 14:02 tty.usbserial-A8006VSZ
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 10, 0 Dec 21 14:02 tty.usbserial-A8008ZRJ

exiled:dev root# sudo cu -l cu.usbserial-A8008ZRJ
Connected.
??????????

berkinet wrote:
I believe you will want to use field *191 for keypad address 18. The instructions are given in field 190. But, essentially I think you want to enter programmer mode and then press press
*191 1 0 and then *99

Posted on
Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:00 pm
berkinet offline

With cu you need the -s 115200 option.
But, if you are on Indigo 5, just install the ad2usb plugin. It will connect for you.

Posted on
Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:16 pm
ethanw offline

I get this error in Indigo when I try to save the plugin:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "plugin.py", line 449, in ConfigButtonPressed
<type 'exceptions.KeyError'>: key ad2usbSerialPort not found in dict

I didn't install the ser2sock yet following ser2sock_installation.pdf. Could that be my problem?

It just HIT ME :-) Of course it needs it . How in the hell is going to talk via the IP address if we don't have a sock (ad2usbSerialPort) in place :) Dooohhhhh :)

berkinet wrote:
With cu you need the -s 115200 option.
But, if you are on Indigo 5, just install the ad2usb plugin. It will connect for you.
Last edited by ethanw on Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:46 pm
ethanw offline

OK always LUCKY me. It looks like the ser2sock binary is 64 bit and I have a 32 bit system. When I try to run it in AppleScript I get this :(

exiled:bin root# ./ser2sock
-sh: ./ser2sock: Bad CPU type in executable

exiled:bin root# ls -al ser2sock
-rwxr-xr-x 1 exile com.apple.local.ard_admin 34492 Nov 14 20:29 ser2sock
exiled:bin root# file ser2sock
ser2sock: Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64

Do we have a 32 binary? I am running Leopard server on a mac min core duo, not core 2 duo

Posted on
Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:22 pm
berkinet offline

I have a machine still on Snow-Leopard and I'll make a build for you later tonight, or on the morning. I guess I should include ser2sock Power-PC, and 32/64 bit Intel in the release.

In the meantime, you should still be able to use the plugin to talk to the ad2usb using the USB/Serial port. Just select Local USB port instead of IP Network.