Interface to an Alarm (Ademco, Vista, First Alert, etc)

Posted on
Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:28 am
berkinet offline

Re: Interface to an Alarm (Ademco, Vista, First Alert, etc)

bbruck wrote:
It looks like I can try and integrate my Ademco system via the AD2USB via serial bridge, but I would lose the MonoGUI interface, OR I could use the scripts you are using without the serial bridge - is that correct?

The problem is going to be SB. It wants only serial input and doesn't know how to deal with IP data streams. So, if you go with SB, you'll probably have to say goodbye to the Mono GUI. But, there is a possible workaround... Install ser2sock (from Nutech) and have ser2sock connect to the ad2usb serial stream and share that stream over an IP network. Then find a socket to serial convertor like socat, netcat/nc, MultiCom, remserial or others and create a virtual serial port for SB to listen to. I am sure this can be done. But, I spent a fair amount of time trying to make this work and always ran into one problem or another. YMMV
bbruck wrote:
Have you done any further work on this since the spring that might be posted elsewhere around here?

Yes. I have converted my VistaICM script to work with the ad2usb. It is quite stable for reading data. But, there are still occasional problems with ser2sock when sending data to the panel from Indigo/shell scripts. Note that if you use this script you will need to know some basic Perl and also still have to run ser2sock if you want to run the Mono GUI.
bbruck wrote:
(My goal is to be able to monitor my wired and wireless ademco motion sensors and door sensors via Indigo to use them as triggers...)

The Perl script interface will do that. PM me your email address and I will be glad to send you the ad2usb Perl interface package.

Posted on
Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:59 pm
johnnwvs offline

I see this has been inactive only a few months now, hopefully some of you are still tuned in...

I installed a Vista 20P a while back and have been considering connecting it up to my network for some time now with the Vista ICM device - the only thing slowing me down was the $250 price tag. I also noticed that the ICM has been discontinued - which is how I came across this discussion.

What I was wondering is: is there an affordable way to connect my Vista 20P up to my network so that I can do some fairly simple features such as setting the alarm and logging various events, etc. I am not looking for "paid for" features such as monitoring companies, etc. This is purely for me to have a computer-based interface to the system at home (and possibly while away by VPN/Tunnel or some such method).

I was a developer in the past, with experience in c/c++, perl, assembler, networking, telephony, etc. I have worked with embedded systems, etc. So I have no problem getting my hands a little dirty in the process, or helping out. I have several Mac systems and Linux systems that I could utilize, so either option is great.

Thanks for any help.

-John

Posted on
Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:12 pm
berkinet offline

johnnwvs wrote:
?.. is there an affordable way to connect my Vista 20P up to my network so that I can do some fairly simple features such as setting the alarm and logging various events, etc.

Yes, look through previous posts in this thread for information about the Nutech ad2usb interface. It uses USB and costs around $80. They are in the process of manufacturing a new rev of the board, and that should be available this month, or inMarch.

Posted on
Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:06 am
johnnwvs offline

Thanks for the reply.

I am guessing then that I would need a computer to be nearby the alarm system for the AD2USB?
It is in the garage and close by networking components, but I don't have a computer running in the garage, or anywhere nearby for that matter. But for a huge savings, I could rig something up...

Thanks.

-John

Posted on
Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:30 am
berkinet offline

johnnwvs wrote:
...I am guessing then that I would need a computer to be nearby the alarm system for the AD2USB?

Since the ab2usb connects like a standard keypad, you can wire it ip with normal 2 pair alarm wire and place it next to your computer.

Posted on
Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:57 pm
hamw offline

If you feel like doing it with Serial Bridge, here's a link to a write up: http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/wik ... ity_script

With this you'd be able to control your alarm's state with Indigo Touch with live feedback. However, monitoring events will be trickier.

If you can get SoCat and Ser2Sock working, or improve on the Serial Bridge implementation, please post how you did it. Although I am very happy with the plain vanilla Serial Bridge integration, it could be better, and the MonoGui is cool.

Posted on
Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:44 pm
ethanw offline

ab2usb is an awesome interface. I love it. Good thing is all my computer room is next to house control rack which houses my Vista 21 alarma panel as well so all the wiring is there. I just need to run a wire for my pool module through my attic when it gets cooler outside.

berkinet wrote:
johnnwvs wrote:
...I am guessing then that I would need a computer to be nearby the alarm system for the AD2USB?

Since the ab2usb connects like a standard keypad, you can wire it ip with normal 2 pair alarm wire and place it next to your computer.

Posted on
Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:15 pm
berkinet offline

last year hamw wrote:
..If you can get SoCat and Ser2Sock working... ...please post how you did it. Although I am very happy with the plain vanilla Serial Bridge integration, it could be better, and the MonoGui is cool.

Note that socat and ser2sock do the same thing - extend a USB/serial connection over an IP network. You would only need one or the other. ser2sock is specifically designed for the ad2usb and therefor has very few options. socat, netcat (nc) and other similar programs can be very hard to configure.

ser2sock is included in the ad2usb plugin distribution with full documentation on MacOS installations. There is also support available from the NuTech (the ad2usb vendor) forum as well as this Indigo forum. You can find the ad2usb plugin under berkinet, in the 3rd party developer forum.

Note also that by using ser2sock you can run the ad2usb plugin, and the ad2usb MonoGUI, plus whatever other ad2usb interfaces you wish, like a telnet session to the device.