Running Indigo on Apple TV using ATV Flash

Posted on
Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:49 am
flynifr offline

Running Indigo on Apple TV using ATV Flash

Hi all,

I do not have a computer in my home that is attached at all times but I do have an Apple TV. The newest version of ATV Flash which can be installed on an Apple TV allows the Apple TV to run standard Mac programs. This is possible because Apple TV actually runs a version of the Mac OS.

Has anyone tried running Indigo on the Apple TV instead of a computer?

Posted on
Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:54 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Running Indigo on Apple TV using ATV Flash

flynifr wrote:
Hi all,

I do not have a computer in my home that is attached at all times but I do have an Apple TV. The newest version of ATV Flash which can be installed on an Apple TV allows the Apple TV to run standard Mac programs. This is possible because Apple TV actually runs a version of the Mac OS.

Has anyone tried running Indigo on the Apple TV instead of a computer?

We haven't tried it, but I the last time I did any research software that required USB access didn't work because the AppleTV kernel had only rudimentary USB access. That, of course, could have changed. We would love to support the AppleTV if Apple would publish an API for it.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:11 am
flynifr offline

(No subject)

I haven't tried it yet either, just doing some initial canvasing before I start wrestling with it. the ATV Flash is a Linux based kernel that runs alongside the Apple TV OS. It does open the USB port for keyboard/mouse and external hard drive support but the support documents don't mention using the USB for running other hardware. They may not have even considered a possibility like this. It would really be great to have full control of my system right from my Apple TV and run Indigo scripts and triggers. ATV Flash does provide a web browser so I am currently using my Apple TV to control my system through a Smartlinc 2412N.

Posted on
Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:44 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

flynifr wrote:
I haven't tried it yet either, just doing some initial canvasing before I start wrestling with it. the ATV Flash is a Linux based kernel that runs alongside the Apple TV OS. It does open the USB port for keyboard/mouse and external hard drive support but the support documents don't mention using the USB for running other hardware. They may not have even considered a possibility like this. It would really be great to have full control of my system right from my Apple TV and run Indigo scripts and triggers. ATV Flash does provide a web browser so I am currently using my Apple TV to control my system through a Smartlinc 2412N.

While the info on the website is a bit sketchy, it looks to me like Mac apps, when running, take over the UI completely. This would be an issue for a couple of reasons: first, the Indigo server needs to be running all the time and it doesn't actually have a UI.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:21 pm
bobeast offline

(No subject)

jay wrote:

While the info on the website is a bit sketchy, it looks to me like Mac apps, when running, take over the UI completely. This would be an issue for a couple of reasons: first, the Indigo server needs to be running all the time and it doesn't actually have a UI.

Personally, I'd settle for just being able to run the client on my AppleTV. Of course this doesn't address the issue where the AppleTV is your only computer.

Choose to chance the rapids.
Dare to dance the tide.

Posted on
Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:57 pm
chrisla23 offline

(No subject)

I do this, but I am running Linux/MythTV/LIRC on the AppleTV. It's a different kettle of fish, but certainly not a technical imposibility.

That's to say I am using the appletv to control Indigo on another computer.

-Chris

Posted on
Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:18 am
anode offline

(No subject)

Can ya just toss MacOSX on the AppleTV and just use frontrow?

Posted on
Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:36 pm
cikis offline

I got some success on running Indigo on AppleTV.

I think that AppleTV is the best place where at home should run Indigo server, as AppleTV consumes very little Electricity and it is always on.

What I did to run Indigo on AppleTV
0) Used Patchstick to enable SSH on AppleTV (http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Patchstick)
in meanwhile installed many other things, but those should not be related with this project. For example had success on running EyeTV USBstick on AppleTV.

1) I installed python ( detailed instruction there - http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Python)

2) To be able to control AppleTV and to see Indigo application screen installed VNC server (http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Enable_R ... sktop_(VNC)_After_1.1_Update)

3) Copied neccessary Indigo files to AppleTV (ssh to atv; wget http://.....indigo4...)

4) Installed and Launched Indigo (similar as EyeTV, described there http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/EyeTV)

Result:
1) Installation was successful!
2) I am able to start Indigo 4.app, I see logo, menu, etc. Everything seems fine.
3) Just one PROBLEM, I cannot make server to start. It says message box with error :
"Non-administrator users can only connect to Indigo servers which are already running."

What I tried:
1) I changed permisions to frontrow:frontrow to all Indigo files in Applications and Library/Application Support
2) Tried to start files with sudo
3) Tried to start IndigoServer file with sudo, it exits immediatly
4) Tied with -daemon
sudo IndigoServer -daemon
2010-06-06 01:32:40.001 IndigoServer[524] Quiting Indigo Server - unloading launchd plist
2010-06-06 01:32:40.002 IndigoServer[524] Quiting Indigo Server - complete

Any Ideas? How to launch server?

BTW I did not found any messages in logfiles.

Posted on
Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:24 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

That error is shown if Indigo does not have write access to all of the folders inside:

/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 4/

cikis wrote:
1) I changed permisions to frontrow:frontrow to all Indigo files in Applications and Library/Application Support

Did you recursively set the file owner to all sub-folders as well (in particular, the Perceptive Automation/Indigo 4/ folder)? You might just try opening up read/write access to everyone recursively for the folder to see if that helps.

Let us know how it goes, and I appreciate you posting your step-by-step instructions for installing it.

Posted on
Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:33 pm
berkinet offline

cikis wrote:
...I think that AppleTV is the best place where at home should run Indigo server, as AppleTV consumes very little Electricity and it is always on....
I can understand wanting to run Indigo server on the AppleTV, your reasoning makes sense. However, I am wondering about the client. I can see some benefit if you are in front of the TV and want to adjust the lights in the TV room. But, as the general purpose interface, I would think a regular OS X Mac would be a more useful choice, particularly for programming, adding new devices and general management. Of course, with Indigo the good news is you don't really have to make a choice, install the client any/every-where. BTW, then you wouldn't need VNC to control Indigo.

Posted on
Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:22 pm
anode offline

berkinet wrote:
cikis wrote:
...I think that AppleTV is the best place where at home should run Indigo server, as AppleTV consumes very little Electricity and it is always on....
I can understand wanting to run Indigo server on the AppleTV, your reasoning makes sense. However, I am wondering about the client. I can see some benefit if you are in front of the TV and want to adjust the lights in the TV room. But, as the general purpose interface, I would think a regular OS X Mac would be a more useful choice, particularly for programming, adding new devices and general management. Of course, with Indigo the good news is you don't really have to make a choice, install the client any/every-where. BTW, then you wouldn't need VNC to control Indigo.

Why does the client need to run on the AppleTV at all? Let the ATV run the server and do its thing. The client can be a iPhoney/iPod Touch, web interface etc. I rarely use the client's interface on the server here (a mini) I can do everything I need from my laptop. Sync devices, install new devices, edit control pages. I haven't seen much I can't do (if any) from a remote client. Applescripts that aren't embedded are a bit more complex, but just a network share takes care of that (though I tend to use screen sharing for non-embedded AS)

Posted on
Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:44 pm
cikis offline

support wrote:
That error is shown if Indigo does not have write access to all of the folders inside:
/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 4/

Did you recursively set the file owner to all sub-folders as well (in particular, the Perceptive Automation/Indigo 4/ folder)? You might just try opening up read/write access to everyone recursively for the folder to see if that helps.

Yes, to all files in /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 4/ I set ownership to frontrow:frontrow.

Today I did
Code: Select all
chmod -R go+w /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 4

I also copied actual files to that directory (before I was using symbolic links).

Success! I got to next error message:
It tries to connect to server, but says "Failed to connect to Indigo Server". I tried both options in starting server.
Log directory still empty.

My Trial license expired, so I will continue trying some other day.

Posted on
Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:01 pm
cikis offline

I found still some more success:

cd /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 4/IndigoServer.app/Contents/MacOS
./IndigoServer

exits without any message

Then I tried
./IndigoServer -daemon

Seems that works. In Logs appears:
2010-06-10 07:58:25     Application     Starting Indigo Server version 4.1.8
2010-06-10 07:58:25     Application     Running in daemon mode -- AppleScript support disabled
2010-06-10 07:58:25     Application     Database device "master bedroom iTunes keypad" updated
2010-06-10 07:58:25     Application     Database device "upstairs thermostat" updated
2010-06-10 07:58:25     Application     Database device "downstairs thermostat" updated
2010-06-10 07:58:25     Application     applescript ignored (daemon mode)

Not able to use server from AppleTV client, says "Failed to connect to Indigo Server".
I cannot check now from my MacBook as license expired.
BTW on AppleTV it still did not asked for Registration Code!?

Posted on
Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:48 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

cikis wrote:
Not able to use server from AppleTV client, says "Failed to connect to Indigo Server".

I wonder if the AppleTV has a firewall that is blocking the request? Port 1176 needs to be open.
cikis wrote:
I cannot check now from my MacBook as license expired.
BTW on AppleTV it still did not asked for Registration Code!?

You should be able to try to connect from your MacBook. The license/registration code lives on the server, not the client. So launch Indigo on your MacBook and chose the Indigo 4->Connect to Remote Server....

You can also try to telnet into your AppleTV on port 1176 just to see if the connection is established.

Posted on
Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:20 am
cikis offline

Now I prolonged my trial license on MacBook and can continue.

What I did:
1) On AppleTV started Indigo server:
cd /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 4/IndigoServer.app/Contents/MacOS
./IndigoServer -daemon
:)
2) I tested and found out that I am able to connect from MacBook to AppleTV port 1176. (telnet atv 1176) :)

3) From MacBook Indigo Application selected "File - Connect to RemoteServer".
After connecting to remote server on AppleTV I got error message:

"Your current Indigo Server license will not allow any more simultaneously connected clients."

On AppleTV in indigo_log.txt is written:
2010-06-13 13:12:20     Application     Indigo Cocoa client authentication failed - license level limited number of clients
 (192.168.1.107)
2010-06-13 13:12:20     Application     Indigo Cocoa client disconnected (192.168.1.107)
:(

4) On AppleTV started Indigo application (open Indigo 4.app)
Configured application to connect to localhost (to IndigoServer started in point1)

It after few seconds crashes.
2010-06-13 13:45:14     Application     Starting Indigo Server version 4.1.8
2010-06-13 13:45:14     Application     Running in daemon mode -- AppleScript support disabled
2010-06-13 13:45:15     Application     applescript ignored (daemon mode)
...(repeated multiple times)
2010-06-13 13:45:56     Application     Indigo Cocoa client authenticated
2010-06-13 13:45:59     Application     Indigo Cocoa client disconnected

Did not found any message in Logfiles about this crash. IndigoServer continues to run and I able to repeat this.

How to solve this?

BTW On AppleTV I never got any window which would ask from license!