Running Indigo on Apple TV using ATV Flash

Posted on
Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:36 pm
mreyn2005 offline

Re: Running Indigo on Apple TV using ATV Flash

I want to be able to connect a USB cable from my Mac to the AppleTV usb port, then do the drive image. That way we don't have to take the AppleTV apart to flash an image onto it's drive. This is essentially what ATVFlash does via a USB stick (with its own custom image). That would make this process really painless...

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:53 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Actually, it's quite different from hooking up a USB flash drive - and it's not possible. The Apple TV would have to have some kind of functionality built-in like MacBooks do (or used to anyway) that would put them into "disk mode". They don't have that kind of functionality.

ATVFlash isn't putting a new OS on the AppleTV - it's just adding some functionality to the AppleTV's OS - which is a very different process.

I have read where someone was able to boot Mac OS off of an external disk connected to the USB port on the ATV, then somehow transfer the install to the built-in disk. At least, that's the implication. But the information os sporadic and spread all over the place so it's hard to get the pieces in place.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:53 pm
mreyn2005 offline

Annnnnd it works. Easy as pie. Thanks Everyone!
Attachments
IndigoOnAppleTV.jpg
IndigoOnAppleTV.jpg (194.24 KiB) Viewed 2468 times

Posted on
Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:40 pm
ethanw offline

I like the way my image is moving forward :-) Good work guys :-)
make sure you use licensed software. Everything on that image did not have a license for anything by the way.

Posted on
Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:18 pm
mikeL offline

Ethan:
Your three image parts for running Indigo on AppleTV G1 were available last year, but are no longer available. Would you be willing to provide the images again? I currently run Indigo on a Mac Mini, but I have two AppleTV G1s sitting around collecting dust (they've been replaced with G3s). So, I'd love to join your little club. Thanks,
Mike

Posted on
Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:05 am
mreyn2005 offline

Hey Mike,
The hosting for my domain expired (so the files are currently inaccessible from the mtnlabs.com link above). I will be transferring my domain to a new hosting provider shortly. Stay tuned!

Matt