[SOLVED]Erratic W800RF32 via Keyspan serial adapter?

Posted on
Wed May 26, 2004 3:33 am
pwd offline

[SOLVED]Erratic W800RF32 via Keyspan serial adapter?

Hi,

I'm trying to use an X10 RMS18 motion detector (http://www.smarthome.com/4086.html) with a W800RF32 RF receiver. I've connected the RF receiver to a Keyspan high speed USB PC serial adapter (19QW). Everything seems to be cabled correctly and I can configure Indigo to use an RF receiver using the Keyspan serial port but I get either no data or the error message

Error undefined signal from w800rf interface

logged in the event window whenever RF data would've been coming in with the message.

Am I missing something? I understand I may need to add an attachment script to actually trigger any actions from the events generated by the motion detector but Indigo doesn't seem to be reliably picking up the RF events in the first place?

I hooked up a serial line analyzer and at 4800 baud the RF data looks good as expected. Is there a good way to check the raw data on the Mac side on the receiving end of the Keyspan serial interface?

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-Patrick.

Posted on
Wed May 26, 2004 5:51 am
gregjsmith offline

(No subject)

The W800 appears to be sensitive to other electrical devices. When I had first installed mine it sat on a desk with my computer, USB hub, power strip, etc and I got these messages all the time. Most of the time my Motion detectors weren't getting their signals in.

Long story short, I moved the W800 about a foot away and those messages almost completely went away.

Posted on
Wed May 26, 2004 7:17 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Erratic connection to W800RF32 via Keyspan serial adapte

Hi Patrick,

Greg is correct, it sounds like you are getting some RF interference from something. I'd try moving the W800RF32, and if you have not already, fresh batteries in your motion detector. The error message you are seeing means the bytes sent by the W800RF32 do not match any known protocol. The RMS18 does send normal X10 RF commands, so that model should work.

If it still doesn't work, then I suspect either the RMS18 is bad or the W800RF32 is bad. If you have any other motion detectors or X10 compatible remotes, then I would try those so we can narrow down the problem.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Wed May 26, 2004 9:48 am
pwd offline

Re: Erratic connection to W800RF32 via serial adapter

Hmmm... tried moving the W800 as far as the power cable would allow but that didn't make any difference. Not only that, my serial analyzer between the W800RF32 and the Keyspan high-speed serial adapater shows the W800RF sending proper data at 4800 baud: 0x40 0xBF 0x10 0xEF which appears the proper code for the "C1 ON" that it's supposed to be sending (actually, I think that should be "C2 ON" but my decoding may be off by a bit).

Is there any way I can see the raw data being delivered out of the USB serial interface on the other end? Can I get Indigo to, for instance, dump the raw bytes it got and couldn't make sense of? Hook up some other program to look at the serial stream inside Mac OS X?

Thanks!
-Patrick.

Posted on
Wed May 26, 2004 10:40 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Patrick,

Send me an email offline (indigo-support at perceptiveautomation.com) and we'll do a couple of additional steps. You are correct, 0x40 0xBF 0x10 0xEF is the correct byte sequence for C2 On.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Wed May 26, 2004 1:17 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

To followup on this issue, it looks like there is a bug in the Keyspan Serial Assistant application (or Keyspan driver). Using the Keyspan Serial Assistant can cause the driver/connection to send incorrect data. Quiting and restarting Indigo does not fix the problem -- you must reboot so the driver can heal itself (perhaps an unplug and reconnect of the Adapter will heal it).

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Wed May 26, 2004 2:00 pm
gregjsmith offline

(No subject)

I've had some strange behavior like this but usually Indigo just stops getting data from the W800. Same fix is to reboot.

Is there a way for Indigo to ask or test the W800 if it's getting the right data to Indigo, then we could write an Applescript to auto reboot the computer.

Posted on
Wed May 26, 2004 2:05 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

gregjsmith wrote:
Is there a way for Indigo to ask or test the W800 if it's getting the right data to Indigo, then we could write an Applescript to auto reboot the computer.

Unfortunately, the W800 only sends serial data (same with MR26), so there is no way to query it to see if it the connection is still alive.

Matt

Posted on
Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:25 am
Jimmy2times offline

Hi Matt,

I am having a similar problem as above.

I Recently acquired a new 2013 mac, so migrated my setup over.

I Have been having issues ever since. Basically, I get correct signals from the w8000rf32 Initial when I start my mac for a few mins and then I think the driver for the keysapn adapter crashes. I then get either error messages or no messages at all from rf signals.

I quiting and restarting Indigo this does not fix the problem. As you have suggested A full reboot so the driver (or an unplug and reconnect of the Adapter) will fix it. This solution is not really working as the bug returns after a few mins.

Any idea's ?

I have installed tripp lites keyspan drivers, for theUSA-19-h USB keyspan adapter, and avoided the included keyspan assistant (Assassin)

I am running latest version of indigo, on latest version of Mavericks. on a new iMac 2013.

Any ideas what i can do to return to a reliable connection with the w800rf32. Everyuthing worked perfectly on my 2011 iMac.

Cheers,

Jim

Posted on
Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:05 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I'm not sure.

Is anyone else successfully using a Keyspan driver on Mavericks?

I did find this forum thread that seems to indicate that the Keyspan adapters don't work well when plugged into USB hubs under 10.9, but when directly plugged into the Mac they work.

Posted on
Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:29 pm
Jimmy2times offline

Thanks.

Removed my hub. (Yes you are Psychic)

And I have to had keysapan crash or any errors since.

fyi: I was using the same HUB with Mavericks 10.9 on my 2011 iMac with no problems. I guess keyspan does not like the hub specifically when connected to my 2013 iMac.

Thanks for the advice. At least its all working now.

Cheers,

Jimmy

Page 1 of 1