[ANSWERED]: Light Dimmer XPD3 Turning Off But Not On

Posted on
Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:29 pm
kyphos offline

[ANSWERED]: Light Dimmer XPD3 Turning Off But Not On

Q from new Indigo user.

I have a number of existing X10 XPD3-IW "Master Dimmer Switches". There is no such type of device listed in Indigo's list of X10 devices.
What is the best match to the XPD3:
- Marmitek LW11 dimmer switch?
- ToggleLinc 2-way dimmer?
- SwitchLinc Plus dimmer?
- Generic Light switch?
- something else??

Thanks.

Posted on
Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:02 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Light Dimmer XPD3 Turning Off But Not On

Those are just generic X10 switches. Any switch sold at X10.com or Radio Shack is going to be generic.

Also see my replies on the other threads I just posted. All X10 ON/OFF commands are the same. If they aren't working then there is a signal issue or it is a marginal 2413U.

We highly recommend INSTEON or Z-Wave over X10 because of all the problems X10 has with signal reliability/bridging/attenuation/etc.

Posted on
Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:17 pm
kyphos offline

Re: [ANSWERED]: Light Dimmer XPD3 Turning Off But Not On

I was able to get the XPD3 to work by configuring it as an Indigo "Generic Light Switch".

I do understand that the Insteon and Zwave protocols are inherently more robust than X10. But I have a non-trivial investment in X10 (dollars & installation time,) that I'd like to preserve if possible, while migrating to new technology (either Insteon or Zwave).

Given my experience so far with the 2413U interface, it may well be a marginal unit (which does not give me confidence in Insteon's Quality Control). But I have no experience with Zwave products, so no basis for comparison. However, Indigo seems to be very well designed.

:arrow: Indigo 2023.1.1, macOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra), Mac mini5,1 (Intel Core i5), PowerLinc 2413U

Page 1 of 1