[ANSWERED] Newbie/Learning Questions on X10 signals

Posted on
Wed May 21, 2014 7:29 am
jasiii offline

[ANSWERED] Newbie/Learning Questions on X10 signals

Good Day .. I am new to Indigo 6 and so far I starting to understand and work with the software but…. And if I am in the wrong forum let me know so I can properly post.

Is there any way to expand the X10 signal monitoring ??

I have one room where 3 outlets and one wall switch will not respond.

Other outlets on the same circuit breaker seem to work fine ???

I have checked with a go/nogo phase tester and all seem to be valid
I have turned on (grin) my stove and oven & dryer .. that did not help (I do have phase coupler installed)

I have a few small questions:

Is there any way to expand the X10 signal tracing when a command is sent ?
Right now I only get the following when I send a Status Request:

May 21, 2014, 8:45:03 AM Sent X10 "Living Room" status request
Error timeout waiting for device Status Response

Is there any utility to send “probe” request for all connected X10 devices and produce a map with address and status in my setup?

Does anyone have any other suggestions or tips or guidelines ???

Thanks in advance

Jim Sterling
jasiii@comcast.net

Posted on
Thu May 22, 2014 1:13 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Newbie/Learning Questions on X10 signals

Hi Jim,

Most X10 lamp/appliance/switch modules are receive only and do not transmit X10 signals. Those won't respond to X10 status request messages at all, so you'll get the timeout error you have above if you try to request their current status. INSTEON and Z-Wave modules all acknowledge direct command packets, so with those Indigo can detect if the command (turn on/off, set brightness, etc.) gets to the module or not. With X10 that isn't possible -- it is a much simpler and less robust protocol.

MacHomeStore.com does sell an X10 signal booster which might help. The problem could be something introducing noise, so you might try unplugging electronic equipment/appliances/power adapters to see if those 3 modules become responsive.

Posted on
Thu May 22, 2014 1:27 pm
jasiii offline

Re: [ANSWERED] Newbie/Learning Questions on X10 signals

Thank you... I had already UN-plugged EVERY THING that I could (grin) TV's, Microwave, refrigerator ..
I am guessing that next I pull the wall face plates and physically check the wire connections.. (my back is bad right now so this may be a day or three) and try to follow the lines.. it is odd/strange that other sockets on the same circuit breaker do work..

While testing I have been using a bunch of C7 bulbs and sockets for a light current load ..

Another learning curve in life..

Thank you again

Jim Sterling

Page 1 of 1