Feature request

Posted on
Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:11 pm
jlefevre1 offline

Feature request

I would like to request 4 features.

First I want a way to get rid of the "unknown links" that are scattered all over my devices. They should be just as easy to erase and remove as any other item.

Second I would like to see all the the places where "RE SYNC links is listed to be relabeled. There should be one and only one master area that you click on that says "RE SYNC ALL LINKS to ALL DEVICES. It should come with a caution warning that says that it will mess everything up and it will never complete and your entire system will be unusable while it is running.

The RE SYNC links buttons on the pop ups for the single devices should clearly say that this ONLY re SYNC that device and the devices it is linked to and not start a re link of the entire system.

Third They should be a very OBVIOUS and EASY to find LARGE button that says stop all linking operations NOW.

Forth When you are syncing a keypad link to a wall dimmer module it would be very nice if it also correctly controlled the light in the keypad link module. The best I can achieve is that the keypad link button will correctly raise and lower the wall dimmer but the wall dimmer will not turn on the light in the button when raising the dimmer however it will turn off the light in the button when turning off the wall dimmer. I have to go into the wall dimmer and the keypad link and individually set up a lot of links to make the button work correctly.

My system is very large in a huge house that has one main panel and 2 sub panels. It is approaching 10 years old and the devices are failing by the box loads. I figure that within 2 to 3 years I will have replaced all of them. I have to put the new devices on an extension cord and plug them in near the main interface to define them first. Once that is done I can put them anywhere in the house and they will work but you cannot sync theme the large amount of traffic. Now that the new modules are having dual band with the radio waves in addition to the power line carried, the problems have only gotten worse.

Posted on
Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:38 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Feature request

Sorry for the aggravation you are having with Indigo's INSTEON syncing. Unfortunately, it sounds like the root problem here is your INSTEON network isn't very reliable. This can result in the PowerLinc delivering to Indigo command packets that have bad/incorrect values in them. In this case this creates a garbage in / garbage out scenario, and your links as Indigo understands them get messed up. Although your proposed solutions would help cut-down on the bad data propagating into Indigo, it won't eliminate it and you are still going to have a setup that isn't very robust. So the best approach here is to identify what is causing the problem and address it, so the entire system can be more reliable.

The problem could be caused by several different things:

• Power line or RF noise corrupting commands (and the more corrupt commands, the more retries that are going to occur which will increase congestion and collisions further causing reliability problems)

• A malfunctioning module that is either causing interference or relaying corrupt data on to the network. This could be any INSTEON module (not just the PowerLinc).

• Too much traffic. This one is harder to deal with, but even in really big houses is normally only an issue if you have a lot of motion sensors or door/window sensors. Basic lighting scenes normally don't cause too much traffic (even in a large house).

To isolate the problem I suggest you turn off different breakers in your house and then see if (by watching the Event Log) if the errors stop and reliability improves. If you can figure out what circuit the problem is coming from, then you can manually unplug (or "air gap" off the switches) to try to see if it is a particular module or electronic device.

Page 1 of 1