lack of "save" button when editing scripts

Posted on
Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:30 pm
dduff617 offline

lack of "save" button when editing scripts

I've noted in previous comments what i feel is a sub-optimal interface in terms of Indigo's dialog boxes not offering a "save" button when editing/creating devices... A similar thought: it would be nice if there were some way to "save" a script I'm editing in Indigo's built-in "Action" editors (for Action Groups, Triggers, Schedules, and sometimes control pages).

A few observations:

Editing a script is often buried under multiple clicks/steps, e.g. 1. navigate to the trigger/action group/schedule object in the indigo master interface window and open it. 2. (for triggers, e.g.) select "Actions" tab 3. (in context of a list of multiple actions) select the action from a list and double click to edit it.

Creating an action often involves examining some other aspects of my overall Indigo configuration. e.g. "What was the name of that device?" "Which keypad button is used to control that device?", "What other devices are in that room?" etc. So it is common for me in the process of editing steps of an action to navigate away from the containing object in the main Indigo window.

The only way to "commit" changes to a script being edited is to say "ok" in the editing window, which closes the window, and then requires several tedious steps to get back to where you were. Therefore, I find I tend to leave windows open with large numbers of changes to complex code, hitting the "run" button to test my script.

Losing changes because you left a window open and then either just forgot to save (at all) or because Indigo client lost contact with Indigo server is frustrating and there is afaik NO way to recover work lost this way.

Suggested changes:
  • Windows where objects such as scripts can be edited and there is any complexity should offer a "save" button in addition to "ok" and "cancel".
  • Ideally, use standard Mac interface convention for this if possible (i.e. cmd-s for save, cmd-w for close, esc or cmd-. for cancel).

Posted on
Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:30 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: lack of "save" button when editing scripts

Added to request list.

One small note: at the bottom of the Main Window when you have a Trigger or Schedule selected you can click on the text description of the Actions: and it will open the schedule or trigger with the action panel visible. That will save you one click. 8) That also works with the Trigger, Schedule and Condition.

Page 1 of 1