Configurable Python versions.

Posted on
Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:03 pm
jh71283 offline

Configurable Python versions.

In my quest to create a plugin for the Ikea Tradfri gateway, I have run up against numerous problems with the libraries that are available.

Primarily this is due to running under Python 2.7, where most recently written libraries are targeting >3, and usually >3.4

Would it be possible to host different python environments for different plugins?

If not, what are the plans for supporting the newest version of python?

Thanks!

Posted on
Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:33 pm
roussell offline

Re: Configurable Python versions.

The Python version used relates to the minimum supported Mac OS version for Indigo so I don’t see that changing. As far as supporting multiple version, Jay just recently posted something concerning the troubles around that. I can’t look for it at the moment, but it was pretty recent. I agree it’s a pain, but there doesn’t seem to be an easy way to solve it.

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:48 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Configurable Python versions.

Python 3 doesn't ship with any macOS version, including macOS High Sierra. Unclear why exactly, but that's the way it is. We've been trying very hard not to have to include our own Python because of the large additional burden of testing and deploying a custom Python. The same goes with supporting 3rd party Python installations - it would add a HUGE burden to our testing and support activities. Our ability to release new functionality would be significantly reduced (probably 25%-33%) because of additional testing and support it would require.

Finally, our current Python integration, which uses a compiled library to bridge C++ and Python, would require a recompile for each "supported" Python install.

Bottom line: as long as we're a Mac-based product, we will only support the newest version of Python that ships with the macOS that is our minimum requirement. That's why we bumped it to 10.7 with Indigo 7, so we could get Python 2.7. Python 2.7's EOL date is 2020 so it will continue to have bug/security fixes until then.

I've run across a few libs that are Python 3 only, but it seems to me I've been able to find a Python 2 library that does what I need in pretty much all scenarios for which I've looked. Just my experience of course.

(Here's the post Terry was referring to)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1