Combo Z-wave/Zigbee Dongle

Posted on
Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:40 am
Different Computers offline

Combo Z-wave/Zigbee Dongle

I had no idea such a thing existed. http://www.gocontrol.com/detail.php?productId=6

Maybe I was naive, but the lack of a plug in Zigbee radio always struck me as one of the big stumbling blocks for adding Zigbee support to Indigo. To use my own example as an illustration, the lack of Zigbee support in Indigo was the #1 reason I didn't make the switch to it sooner from SmartThings. This is because I had a handful of Zigbee sensors that were going to become useless the moment I switched.

Of course in the long run I'm much happier and don't begrudge the 2 or 3 door sensors and the keypad I have in a drawer now. But I'm sure there are people out there looking for another solution and who have a couple hundred dollars invested in Zigbee sensors: SmartThings users, Iris users, that crowd.

So this isn't really a feature request, more of a "hey, look at that. I'm not going to use it now, though I would have two years ago. It might offer a way into new markets."

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:48 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Combo Z-wave/Zigbee Dongle

That's definitely an interesting device. However, there are several Zigbee interfaces that Indigo can use (there is even a Zigbee/Insteon combo interface). The issue has not been one of available Zigbee interfaces, but really is one of customer demand and development/QA bandwidth. For the longest time, there were very few Zigbee devices, they were expensive, and they weren't necessarily interoperable. Those things have gotten better to be sure, but honestly the sheer quantity of Z-Wave devices coming out has kept us totally busy just keeping up with that demand.

At this point, there is no way we could offer another protocol and keep up with Z-Wave device demand and push through non-protocol specific features that are in demand (of which there are a bunch).

There is an opportunity for a 3rd party developer to step in though (probably not with the above linked interface, but there are several Zigbee dongles available). At this point, I'm pretty sure the Zigbee protocol is open, so it should be possible for someone to build a Zigbee plugin for Indigo. We'd love to see that.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1