Better cloud support

Posted on
Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:50 am
jh71283 offline

Better cloud support

I would like to see better cloud support within Indigo.

I completely understand that none of us want to see the system become cloud dependent like others, but at least cloud compatible would be nice.

There are now so many cloud based systems designed around making the IOT better (IFTTT, Echo, Google Home...), it's a shame that it feels like we are missing out.

Posted on
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:00 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Better cloud support

What exactly do you mean by cloud support? The Indigo Reflector service is a cloud-based service (for instance). How is Indigo cloud incompatible?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:29 pm
roussell offline

Jay I'm guessing he's referring to Indigo-native inclusion & support of cloud-enabled third party stuff like his last paragraph mentions; IFTTT, Echo, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:56 pm
johnpolasek offline

I would concur. It would be great, for example if there were an IFTTT channel that would let me Set an Indigo variable. I could use this to get the moisture data off my EDYNs (which have a channel that GETS the data from their sensors so it can be put into Google Sheets or or to a web page...).

Posted on
Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:42 pm
roussell offline

If I remember correctly, the lack of IFTTT support is more on them, rather than Matt & Jay. IFTTT will have to do the bulk of the integration, not Indigo. I seem to remember M&J reaching out to them, as well as several I Diego users, but there was little to no response from IFTTT.

Terry

Posted on
Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:57 pm
FlyingDiver offline

johnpolasek wrote:
I would concur. It would be great, for example if there were an IFTTT channel that would let me Set an Indigo variable. I could use this to get the moisture data off my EDYNs (which have a channel that GETS the data from their sensors so it can be put into Google Sheets or or to a web page...).

You can do this now. See viewtopic.php?f=216&t=17281. Use the "Make a Web Request" IFTTT channel with the HTTPd plugin.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:24 am
jh71283 offline

Sure it can be done, but in my instance I have done it through my reverse proxy so that I can use SSL / TLS for all my web calls, which definitely makes it non trivial.

However this is limited to triggering simple actions.

Imagine being able to ask GHome / alexa what doors are unlocked or open etc? That's the next level IMO.

I'm assuming that it is because we don't yet have a central place to authenticate with to access our home systems, like ST etc has.

Posted on
Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:53 pm
jh71283 offline

roussell wrote:
If I remember correctly, the lack of IFTTT support is more on them, rather than Matt & Jay. IFTTT will have to do the bulk of the integration, not Indigo. I seem to remember M&J reaching out to them, as well as several I Diego users, but there was little to no response from IFTTT.

Terry

https://platform.ifttt.com/?utm_medium= ... n=Platform

Posted on
Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:33 pm
Different Computers offline

I used to use IFTTT a lot. Even more before Indigo.

As I've gotten better at using Indigo, my need for IFTTT has lessened to the point that I no longer use it at all for HA stuff. Yes, it still posts my Automatic-recorded car trips to a google sheet, but there's not a single thing that IFTTT does that I can't do better in my setup with Indigo.

What is it you need IFTTT for? Google Home? Isn't there a plugin for that? Alexa, same? I don't use them--are they in some way more limited than you need?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:08 pm
bkmar1192 offline

I have an action that "turns on" when I say "Alexa, turn in speaker status". The script then uses the local Mac to tell which speakers are on and what their volume is set to. No reason not to do this with lights and door locks.

However, I find it faster and easier to just look at my Indigo Touch on either my phone or iPads.

Posted on
Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:32 pm
jh71283 offline

That also would work, but the idea of GHome / alexa is that there will be multiple units around the house, which is not the case with indigo macs. Mine, for instance lives in my garage, so I would never hear it.

I can push sound notifications to the sonos units, but let's take the interaction one step further.

"Hey Google, are the outside lights on?"
"Yes, would you like to turn them off?"
"Yes."
--Lights turn off--

That would not be possible with either the mac speak approach, nor the sonos.

Page 1 of 1