feature request - pass through object on CP

Posted on
Tue May 30, 2017 7:48 am
Professor Falken offline

feature request - pass through object on CP

Not being a programmer, I have no idea if this is a very difficult request. If so, please excuse my ignorance.

What I would like is a way to have one image in a set of device/variable images not be available for clicking. The Control Page would ignore that instance of the image (if you clicked there, you get whatever the next object below is).

I have a bunch of use cases for such a feature, but here's an easy one to illustrate what I'm talking about:

Once an irrigation system has been winterized, I don't want the user to be able to trigger a zone or schedule via the control page. So I was thinking I'll just drop a large SYSTEM WINTERIZED graphic over most of the page (obscuring the controls I don't want activated). Of course I can do this manually in the CP editor, and undo it in the spring when the system is opened, But if the above feature existed, I could save the blocking image and another one that was just clear, drop it on top of the controls, and drive it with a variable/device state. When winterized, the blocking image would block the controls, and otherwise the clear image would allow pass through clicking to whatever was underneath.

From a user standpoint, there are probably a couple of ways to implement this, but I would imagine there would have to be some type of checkbox in the CP editor for an object to allow the feature for that object. Maybe it would be as simple as making the un-appended "+" version be pass through (that is, the null image that doesn't have a device state associated with it), or maybe the user needs to use a special word to denote the pass through version of an image in a set.

The other issue is how to deal with the object in the CP editor window. If (as in my example above) there is a large object on top of all of the other ones, it becomes difficult to click/select the things below it.

Just an idea. And maybe way more complicated than what most users want.

Posted on
Tue May 30, 2017 9:21 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: feature request - pass through object on CP

Well, I think I'd just disable the sprinkler device - so it can't be turned on/off. So it wouldn't matter what the user clicked/tapped on the control page, nothing would happen (in conjunction with your disabled image).

Yeah, selecting layered images on the control page is a bit of a pain, and we have some enhancements on the request list along those lines.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1