Proper Conditions

Posted on
Mon May 01, 2017 11:39 am
Umtauscher offline

Proper Conditions

Hi,

I really would like to have if-then-else conditions integrated into indigo and I realize, that Colorado4wheeler has already done the job and tried to intergrate that functionality via a plugin.

Nevertheless I find this a elemetary part of a homeserver and I would rather have it integrated into Indigo itself.
When I try to recommend Indigo to others, I often have to say "no it doesn't right out of the box, but there is a plugin for that".
The constant need to add plugins for simple tasks really is a show stopper in many environments.
So please think about it and try to make things easier, especially for beginners.
Thanks
Wilhelm

Posted on
Mon May 01, 2017 1:23 pm
johnpolasek offline

Re: Proper Conditions

Umtauscher wrote:
Hi,

I really would like to have if-then-else conditions integrated into indigo and I realize, that Colorado4wheeler has already done the job and tried to intergrate that functionality via a plugin.

Nevertheless I find this a elemetary part of a homeserver and I would rather have it integrated into Indigo itself.
When I try to recommend Indigo to others, I often have to say "no it doesn't right out of the box, but there is a plugin for that".
The constant need to add plugins for simple tasks really is a show stopper in many environments.
So please think about it and try to make things easier, especially for beginners.
Thanks
Wilhelm

The other thing that makes Indigo a "niche" product (in the current plug and play world anyway) is the attitude of "we don't need to add that as a feature; all you have to do is write a little Python script to do that..." For someone like me who has been making my living writing and modifying code since the days of COBOL and FORTRAN, Python is just an exercise in keeping the syntax straight and finding the appropriate Dict to import, but sometimes we forget that Joe Sixpack believes utterly in the KISS principle, which means if it cant be done with a couple of mouse clicks or typing (or now speaking) an English language command, he's going to ask Alexa to find him something that will.

Posted on
Mon May 01, 2017 1:53 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

It's already on the feature request list, though you don't have to use a plugin or script to do it. Duplicate the trigger/schedule and reverse the conditions. Yes, you end up having duplicate triggers (or schedules), but as I said it doesn't require plugins or scripts.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon May 01, 2017 2:33 pm
Umtauscher offline

You are right, but this workarround produces tons of redundant conditions.
As a person who writes code yourself, honestly you shouldn't even consider such a solution.
sorry....

Posted on
Mon May 01, 2017 4:27 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

As Jay said, it is on the request list. Keep in mind everyone has their own list of "this is a must have, how in the world can Indigo not have it yet?" features. As one who collects all the feature requests, I can say that everyone has their own list and everyone thinks their list is correct.

Keep the feature requests coming and feel free to specify which ones are high priority for you. But please realize the list of high-priority features is incredibly long, and everyone has different opinions about what should be top priority.

Posted on
Mon May 01, 2017 5:20 pm
Different Computers offline

The other thing that makes Indigo a "niche" product (in the current plug and play world anyway) is the attitude of "we don't need to add that as a feature; all you have to do is write a little Python script to do that..."

I get where you're coming from, but let me add on my experience in the SmartThings forums: Whenever I banged into the limits of the system (which is often when the damn product DOESN'T INCLUDE A FREAKIN' RULES ENGINE) I typically got back "well, just code it in Groovy and make your own speciality SmartApp."

Bleh.

The only things Indigo has required me to do scripting for is stuff I put in place because I was too cheap to buy the luminance sensor that would have been a better solution, and AppleScripts for dealing with iTunes.

And the latter were all copy-paste stuff.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Page 1 of 1