device comm status displayed as a control on html pages

Posted on
Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:49 am
wmldwilly offline

device comm status displayed as a control on html pages

howdy!

i've been wondering for a while now (as in during the life of Version 6) if we would eventually be able to reflect the comm status of a device with the regular visual buttons (i.e. red for comm disabled, green for comm enabled) used on control web pages. Upon installing v.7 and taking a look, it seems that only a device's state is still used for the alternating graphic buttons on web pages for insteon door sensors. When one sets up door sensors to use triggers such as sending MMS messages, I've found it's easiest to create a button with an action that enables or disables the sensor's communication to "silence" the sensor temporarily, or on schedules, or in response to other conditions. Unfortunately for insteon sensors the only display state available is on/off state. on/off is driven by the sensor itself (when the door is open or closed), and one can't use the communication enabled or disabled state as the trigger for flipping a 2-colored control image between it's two states.

I've mulled over creating a bunch of variables and having buttons on web pages track those, but it seems like it would be so much easier and perhaps even be a nice expansion of web page controls capabilities if sensors (or any device for that matter) had tracking of it's comm enabled or disabled state as an option.

Thanks!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-02-10 at 10.06.49 PM.png
insteon door sensors only have one option for state tracking by a control image on a webpage - the actual sensor's on/off state.
Screen Shot 2017-02-10 at 10.06.49 PM.png (44.7 KiB) Viewed 1087 times

Posted on
Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:42 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: device comm status displayed as a control on html pages

Good suggestion. We'll add it to the request list. Thanks!

Posted on
Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:11 pm
wmldwilly offline

Re: device comm status displayed as a control on html pages

Awesome!!!!

Thanks! Can't wait to see it. It will make web pages on devices used by my family members much easier to understand.

Page 1 of 1