Smart Energy Strip (DSC11) Feature Request (bug?)

Posted on
Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:22 pm
NicholFD offline

Smart Energy Strip (DSC11) Feature Request (bug?)

I have a couple of DSC11's outlet strips. The device has six (6) outlets. The device is enumerated in Indigo as:
All Outlets, Outlet 1, Outlet 2, Outlet 3, Outlet 4

Looking a the strip vertically with the 110v cable at the bottom:
Code: Select all
         Indigo Name
Plug 6 - Outlet 4 (Also switched with "All Outlets")
Plug 5 - Outlet 3 (Also switched with "All Outlets")
Plug 4 - Outlet 2 (Also switched with "All Outlets")
Plug 3 - Outlet 1 (Also switched with "All Outlets")
Plug 2 - Note switched or shown in Indigo
Plug 1 - Note switched or shown in Indigo
Z-Wave
Button
   | (110v cable)

If the Indigo device "All Outlets" is turned on, devices Outlet 1-4 turn on, however, the Indigo devices Outlet 1-4 do not change status if there is no load (bug?) The plugs are truly on and their individual LEDs reflect on. Devices Outlet 1-4 should change their status to "On", shouldn't they?

The same thing, if device "All Outlets" is turned off, devices Outlet 1-4 turn off & again, devices Outlet 1-4 do not change their status (not sure if load is involved).

And the reverse, if indigo devices Outlet 1-4 are all On or Off, shouldn't device "All Outlets" be changed to On or Off, respectively?

Thanks,
Frank

Posted on
Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:57 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Smart Energy Strip (DSC11) Feature Request (bug?)

There isn't anything in the Z-Wave protocol that allows for the module to tell Indigo that the All Outlets endpoint is special and really linked to the other modules, so the type of logic you want (which would be ideal) will require a custom device definition with custom coding (not just XML). So it is possible for Indigo to be that smart, but non-trivial for us to add it. Ideally the module would broadcast out those changes itself, but apparently it doesn't.

Presuming the individual outlets show the correct states if you send them a status request, then you could hack around the problem by using an Action Group whenever you want to send the All Outlets an ON or OFF command. Have it send the ON/OFF as one command, then have it follow-up with sending status request commands to all 4 outlet endpoints a few seconds later (so you would have 5 actions total). You could wrap up both the Action Groups into a Virtual Device which would give you the normal UI for turning it ON and OFF (in Indigo Touch, etc.).

Note there is another issue with this module in how it reports energy usage, which Indigo doesn't yet work around.

Posted on
Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:21 pm
NicholFD offline

Thanks for the reply.

I remember that power thread. For some reason I thought that got worked out. I had to resend the device on some Indigo update, and it renumbered the outlets. I thought that fixed the energy reporting to.

I have one of these (of three) that the zWave part is failing. I reset power (unplug the strip & plug it back in), it works a day or two, then the zWave button doesn't work & it's not visible on the network. I rinse & repeat. I just removed it from the network because it is in a fairly critical path to some distance devices. I'm "optimizing" my network now and just added an Iris brand repeater I was using with a VeraLite - any experience with the Iris Range Extender (good or bad)? - https://support.irisbylowes.com/link/portal/30143/30206/Article/685/Iris-Range-Extender

Any recommendations on a replacement for the DSC11? Should I just get another one (the other two are fine)? I really don't want to spend more money than the DSC11 costs ($75 - $80). I NEED 2 x switchable outlet, and am using three, because the strip made it convenient...

Thanks,
Frank

Posted on
Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:31 pm
NicholFD offline

Details from Indigo on the Iris Range Extender (https://support.irisbylowes.com/link/portal/30143/30206/Article/685/Iris-Range-Extender):
Indigo Z-Wave Version: 2.0.34
Node ID: 54
Model: Repeater Slave
Model ID: 00020001
Manufacturer: Unknown
Manufacturer ID: 0126
Protocol Version: 0.00
Application Version: 0.00
Model Definition Version: 0
Library Type: 0
Class Name: Repeater Slave
Class Hierarchy: 04 : 0F : 00
Command Class Base: 00
Command Versions: 20v1 72v1
Encryption Status: Not Supported
Multi-Endpoint Types: - none -
Multi-Endpoint Classes: - none -
Multi-Instance Counts: - none -
Features: routing, beaming
Neighbors: - none -
Associations: - none -
Config Values: - none -

Anything I should be looking for or concerned about? It was just added & synced. I'm still in the process of "Optimizing" my zWave network.

After optimization & syncing, the dump to log still looks the same as above (note Neighbors: - none -). However, when I do a sync of the range extender, I get this in the logs:
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - started for "Game Room Repeater Slave"
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved module neighbors list: 11, 12, 13, 16, 19, 32, 34
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - assigning return route to "054 - Game Room Repeater Slave"
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - assigned return route
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved manufacture and model names: Unknown - 0126, Repeater Slave - 00020001
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved class hierarchy: Routing Slave : Repeater Slave : -- (04 : 0F : 00, base 00)
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved command classes: 20v1 72v1
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved encrypt commands: - none -
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved capabilities: routing, beaming
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - complete

Thanks,
Frank

Posted on
Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:50 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

NicholFD wrote:
Any recommendations on a replacement for the DSC11? Should I just get another one (the other two are fine)? I really don't want to spend more money than the DSC11 costs ($75 - $80).

I would buy 2 Aeotec Smart Switch 6's and plug them into a power strip. They aren't cheap, but I just saw on Amazon you can get a 2 pack for $95. I like using a more modular approach as it gives one more flexibility and less pain if a module fails.

Posted on
Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:08 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

NicholFD wrote:
Anything I should be looking for or concerned about?

Looks okay to me. You probably don't really need to add it to Indigo at all, but it shouldn't hurt to (and will allow Indigo to tell it to re-find its neighbors during an optimization).

Posted on
Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:19 pm
howartp offline

DSC11 logging is now supported in Indigo via my ZWave Sensor Logger plugin.

Peter

Page 1 of 1