Re: AppleTV iOS Integration

Out of curiosity have you checked out the documentation here:

https://developer.apple.com/library/con ... lementID_2

?

Posted on
Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:58 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Yes and that's Swift, so if I want to build some kind of Swift app that THEN interfaces with Indigo then that is an option - and one I have considered but it's not that "pure Indigo plugin".

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:37 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Fxguy wrote:
There has to be something. I mean if you were to write an app for the TV it has to be able to interact and use the remote (especially games) but is that hidden in a black box inside the OS somewhere as opposed to an API? Its frustrating because like you the AppleTV is the center of my home entertainment system. While I COULD get a camera that has a coaxial interface and THEN use IR to control the TV and change the channel but why when the AppleTV does everything else I need?

No, there is no remote control API for the Apple TV in their SDK (it's quite a sandboxed area, much like iOS apps - they can't do anything outside of their own app space). You can write apps, but nothing that will control the "OS" level functionality to create automation. I sent an email to the Roomie guys years ago asking if they'd be interested in some kind of licensing agreement for their code - no response. I suspect the companies that reverse engineered it (as I suspect Roomie did it) think of it as proprietary and a competitive advantage. Other big companies (a la Logitech) probably got some inside information from Apple for their efforts.

Fxguy wrote:
I wish there was a native Indigo app for the AppleTV like there is for the phone.

Have you tried the Home Remote suite of apps? He has one for tvOS.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:45 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Fxguy wrote:
Out of curiosity have you checked out the documentation here:

https://developer.apple.com/library/con ... lementID_2

Pretty sure that's only for Apple TV apps themselves (how an app that you build can respond to media player events when your app is running) - it won't allow you to control anything outside of your app...

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:49 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
Yes and that's Swift, so if I want to build some kind of Swift app that THEN interfaces with Indigo then that is an option - and one I have considered but it's not that "pure Indigo plugin".

Your app would have to be running. So it wouldn't allow you to control anything else outside of your app. I believe the OP wanted to control the Apple TV (launch apps, etc) which wouldn't be possible.

Jay (Indigo Support)