Add feature to trouble shoot Insteon network

Posted on
Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:41 pm
jenkins007 offline

Add feature to trouble shoot Insteon network

I would like to see a new feature to aid in trouble shooting Insteon Network issues. Houselinc has that feature. What, I believe, they do is to first set a baseline of signaling for each device. The process can be a round robin or 1 device at a time. They do, a standard test, an extended test and an increment C2 test (not sure about this last one).
They check signal to noise, ping, read record, a failed starts. This test could be configured to run multiple times up to a certain amount, say 100 renditions. Each device on the network could be selected or unselected. Battery powered devices would be recommended or automatically excluded as it would drain the battery some..

This diagnostic test would be recommended to be completed when the network is quite, like at night, so scheduling it would be good, then we could look at the logs for the results, or have them emailed.
The results could show messages sent, versus messages received (totals and percentage success), extended messages the same totals and percentage success. The results could show how many hops to each device. Test is over when the requested number of tries completes for each desired device.

Analysis from the result would be to look at any device which is less than 100%. Are those device in the same room or same circuit? Then turning off/unplugging/adding filterlinc to nearby devices could help isolate. Also, comparing the results with the baseline could be useful. There could be more detail in the result analysis, I just wanted to get this feature out for your consideration.

Thanks,
Matthew

Posted on
Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:15 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Add feature to trouble shoot Insteon network

FWIW, while that sounds like a useful feature request, you can get a small bit of your request now with the Survey Plugin. Not as complete as you are requesting but if you have an immediate need causing the request, might help out a bit.

Adam

Posted on
Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:38 am
sgbirch offline

Re: Add feature to trouble shoot Insteon network

jenkins007 wrote:
I would like to see a new feature to aid in trouble shooting Insteon Network issues. Houselinc has that feature. What, I believe, they do is to first set a baseline of signaling for each device. The process can be a round robin or 1 device at a time. They do, a standard test, an extended test and an increment C2 test (not sure about this last one).
They check signal to noise, ping, read record, a failed starts. This test could be configured to run multiple times up to a certain amount, say 100 renditions. Each device on the network could be selected or unselected. Battery powered devices would be recommended or automatically excluded as it would drain the battery some..

This diagnostic test would be recommended to be completed when the network is quite, like at night, so scheduling it would be good, then we could look at the logs for the results, or have them emailed.
The results could show messages sent, versus messages received (totals and percentage success), extended messages the same totals and percentage success. The results could show how many hops to each device. Test is over when the requested number of tries completes for each desired device.

Analysis from the result would be to look at any device which is less than 100%. Are those device in the same room or same circuit? Then turning off/unplugging/adding filterlinc to nearby devices could help isolate. Also, comparing the results with the baseline could be useful. There could be more detail in the result analysis, I just wanted to get this feature out for your consideration.

z-wave also needs more diagnostic tools. A diagram of connections between devices so you quickly see which devices are neighbours would be perfect. For extra credit, add the signal strength to each connection and colour failed connections red.

Page 1 of 1