[ANSWERED]: Comet Z-wave (Eurotronic) support

Posted on
Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:27 am
MacDefender offline

[ANSWERED]: Comet Z-wave (Eurotronic) support

I would like to request full support for the new Comet Z-wave thermostat from Eurotronic. I just replaced one of my Eurotronic StellaZ units with the new Comet Z-wave units.
They offer much more options like readout/set in % of motorposition, more thermostat modes and of cause a display with manual mode to override the temperature for up to 2h.

At the moment Indigo recognize my unit as General Thermostat (v2) but it's not working as expected. I can't set the heat setpoint as I could with my old StellaZ and support for the motor % values is missing.

If I can supply any values or parameter readouts or whatever just let me know.

Posted on
Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:15 am
autolog offline

Re: Comet Z-wave (Eurotronic) support

Looks like an interesting thermostat. :)

One problem I can see from my own radiator perspective, is that all my valves are at the bottom of the radiator. This means (I think) that the display would be upside down - it looks like it is best used sideways mounted at the top of the radiator. Am I looking at this correctly?

Posted on
Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:59 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Is it battery operated module (thus sleeps)?

What happens when you try to change the heat setpoint?

Do re-Define/Sync it in Indigo and copy/paste the Event Log results into a reply for me.

Motor position support in Indigo might be more difficult, but getting basic support for it should be possible. Any links you have to PDFs or manuals that document its parameters or other technical info will help.

Posted on
Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:49 am
sgbirch offline

I am still waiting for an inspired company to come up with a TRV that has the following features:

1. Set point set by z-wave
2. Set point can be set by a person at the TRV
3. Room temperature displayed on the TRV
4. Room temperature reported by z-wave
5. Boiler on/off request to paired device via z-wave

It is amazing to me that these obvious features are not provided by any TRV on the market. Does the comet to the above?

The Danfos is VERY close, I was hoping that they would upgrade the firmware to add features 3,4, and 5 but Danfoss doesn't seem to be listening, or they don't care.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:26 am
MacDefender offline

Sorry for the late answer, I switched back the device to my old Stella-Z because I can't get the new device to work as expected.
Just reinstalled it and resynced it with Indigo:

Z-Wave Syncing - neighbor list updated from 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 11, 26, 35, 42, 56, 84 to 1, 4, 5, 6, 11, 26, 35, 42, 56, 57, 71, 83
Z-Wave Syncing - assigning return route to "086 - Thermostat Wohnzimmer L"
Z-Wave Syncing - assigned return route
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved manufacture and model names: EUROtronic - 0148, General Thermostat (v2) - 00020001
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved protocol version 3.67, app version 0.05
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved class hierarchy: Routing Slave : Thermostat : General Thermostat (v2) (04 : 08 : 06, base 40)
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved command classes: 20v1 40v1 43v1 84v2 26v3 86v1 80v1 31v4 72v1 77v1
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved wake interval of 15 minutes
Z-Wave Syncing - device "086 - Thermostat Wohnzimmer L" wake interval changed to 15 minutes
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved battery level of 65%
Z-Wave Syncing - complete

If I change the setpoint in Indigo and press the sync button on the device the device will update it's setpoint to the new value. But Indigo just displays the old value.
Also if I change the setpoint it won't get updated after the 15min intervall. Just the battery state is reported/changed.

Documentation can be found here:
http://www.eurotronic.org/fileadmin/use ... DA_eng.pdf

The device itselv can be freely rotated so the display can show in whatever direction is prefered and it is operated with 2 standard AA batteries.

Posted on
Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:18 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Okay, based on the docs the Comet Z should work with the Stella Z device definition. Therefore, try Indigo v6.1.7 when it is released. Note it won't provide control/reading of the valve's openness state because that will require changes to Indigo more involved than the device definition.

Posted on
Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:05 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: [ANSWERED]: Comet Z-wave (Eurotronic) support

Indigo v6.1.7 is now available and includes basic support for the Comet Z-Wave thermostat.

Posted on
Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:54 am
yassi offline

Matt,
is the Comet thermostat still in "basic mode" supported in Indigo 7, or are some changes between Indigo 6 and 7?
Can't find anything in the announcements.

Yassi

Posted on
Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:20 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

The Comet support has not changed – the additional support (beyond basic mode) is still on the request list.

Posted on
Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:21 am
yassi offline

Ok, so that means for the moment it doesn't make to much sense to buy one?
So, only the setpoint can be set? Or what are the basic functions providede wtih Indigo v6.1.7?
Sad, they are here on sale and very cheap (29€).

Yassi

Posted on
Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:00 am
Sevilsivle offline

Even cheaper!. €24.99
notebooksbilliger.de

Posted on
Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:06 am
yassi offline

You're correct :lol:
Have one?

Posted on
Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:44 am
Sevilsivle offline

No, but at that price I may get a few. I am satisfied with the Danfoss I currently have but my wife doesn't like them as the display is not easy to see and manually changing the temperature is not easy.

Posted on
Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:47 am
yassi offline

Ok, that's a reason.
I was also thinking to get them, but I'm waiting for Matt's answer to see what can be done with them in "basic mode".
Or do you have an idea?

BTW: are you in Germany?

Yassi

Posted on
Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:41 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Indigo supports catching the temperature sensor commands (to updates Indigo's UI and device state) as well as setting the heat setpoint for the thermostat.

I believe the Comet-Z works very similarly to the Stella-Z. Indigo doesn't have UI to support manually setting the valve position – you have to do it indirectly by changing the heat setpoint enough to trip a change. There is a mode for the Stella-Z by which you can manually control the valve. You can try doing that with the raw commands mentioned on this thread. Before Indigo 7 that wouldn't have been possible because sending raw commands to sleeping (battery operated) devices wasn't possible. But Indigo 7 has the capability to queue up raw Z-Wave commands (there is a UI action to send raw commands) for the next time a module wakes up. I don't know if anyone has tested that capability with the Stella or Comet-Z yet, but in theory it should work.

As a side note, if the Comet-Z really works just like the Stella-Z (supposedly it does), then you might be able to use autolog's Stella-Z plugin with it.