U.K. Locks

Posted on
Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:11 am
steveoidm offline

Re: U.K. Locks

Just noticed this on the aeotec doorbell page

'Gen5 always has AES 128 bit security encryption built right in'

http://aeotec.com/z-wave-doorbell

Is this true? Does this mean even though indigo doesn't directly support secure messages that as long as all your devices are gen 5 communication with paired devices is encrypted?

If so. I wonder if Yale z wave module is gen 5, I can't seem to find any info that confirms it is.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:36 am
durosity offline

As best i'm aware the module hasn't changed for a few years so i doubt it's 'gen 5' but it's encrypted as that's why indigo can't support it.. yet.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:39 am
steveoidm offline

Another interesting article RE security. Covers two yale locks but not the keyfree connected.

http://www.networkworld.com/article/302 ... vices.html

It seems locks *should* always have encryption enabled even if they aren't gen5, which makes sense. My only remaining concern is in my case I want key fob support, so I need to be confident the key fob (something like http://shop.domo-supply.com/en/transmitter/465-aeon-labs-z-wave-key-fob-remote-control-gen5-aeozw088.html), z wave adapter, indigo and the lock are secure and encryption is enabled.

Posted on
Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:54 am
durosity offline

Well if you're using the Vera bridge (which you'd have to in indigo 6) you could pair the z wave fob with the Vera and use that for secure comms? Or I suppose wait and see what happens in indigo 7.. as it's going to support locks I imagine it'll support secure comms with anything that supports it.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:59 am
steveoidm offline

Going with the yale keyfob for now until I can work out this security lark, hopefully it will all make more sense in V7. Finally getting the lock installed on Sunday.

Posted on
Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:51 am
durosity offline

Ah cool well hope it goes well. Took the guy about 90 mins to fit mine.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:01 am
petematheson offline

Still good feedback on this lock from everybody?
Having a look around now it's been about for a while!

Also saw a comment somewhere to say it's not approved for UK Insurers if it's used as the main front door lock?

Posted on
Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:38 pm
CliveS offline

petematheson wrote:
Still good feedback on this lock from everybody?
Having a look around now it's been about for a while!

Also saw a comment somewhere to say it's not approved for UK Insurers if it's used as the main front door lock?

I think it is an excellent lock, even got it unlocking with Siri via a Philips Hue.
As for the insurance, a reply about that from the site I got my Yale lock

When supplying insurance companies details of this lock what can I say?
Anonymous
The Yale Keyfree is 'Secured by Design' which means that it is tested to police approved standards, making it insurance approved. Simply let your insurance company know that you have the Yale Keyfree. You may require your proof of purchase which we will send to you in the form of a VAT invoice receipt.

https://www.safe.co.uk/products/yale-keyfree-with-remote-module-chrome.html

Best price I could find on the web and they were excellent in getting my lock fitted in about a week, I see they have a 5% off for January Sale (got that 5% off last year when I bought mine) so it makes it a lot cheaper than Vesternet.

I have had mine now for a year and with Peter's Z-Wave Lock Manager (and Nathan's Hue plugin for Siri control!) it get a thumbs up from me.

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:37 pm
petematheson offline

Damn. They don’t do the bronze one. Also it’s the z-wave model right, not the one you linked to?
Also does that include fitting as vesternet does?

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:34 pm
CliveS offline

petematheson wrote:
Damn. They don’t do the bronze one.

Not sure that Vesternet do either as choosing the bronze it does not update the page and still says chrome.

Also it’s the z-wave model right, not the one you linked to?
Also does that include fitting as vesternet does?

Yes I got the chrome Z-Wave version, the link was from the quote about the Insurance, sorry for the confusion, and yes it includes full fitting in the price.
At the time it was about £100 cheaper than Vesternet.

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:40 pm
petematheson offline

They have multiple pics, one of which is the bronze handle.

I'll drop the other site an email to ask! :) Cheers

Posted on
Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:32 am
petematheson offline

Quick question.

My 2 year old has a habit of opening the front door. We usually lock it when we're inside.
With the Yale, can they open it even when it's locked? The wording seems to say you can for 'fire safety'.

Posted on
Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:40 am
petematheson offline

Oh!

I think Yale have discontinued this lock guys !?
I spoke with Safe.co.uk who don't stock the Bronze as they said they will stop making Bronze soon. I checked the Yale site and they've removed them completely.

https://www.yale.co.uk/en/yale/couk/pro ... oor-locks/

It would seem the Conexis L1 Smart Lock plus a Z-Wave Module 2 is now the way to go?

Posted on
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:19 am
CliveS offline

petematheson wrote:
Quick question.

My 2 year old has a habit of opening the front door. We usually lock it when we're inside.
With the Yale, can they open it even when it's locked? The wording seems to say you can for 'fire safety'.

You need to push the black button on the handle in and then push down, not foolproof but highly unlikely a 2 or 3 year old will have the strength to do it. Also you can set a trigger on lock opening to fire off a pushover message, siren, or whatever you feel is required to stop "the great escape".

CliveS

Posted on
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:42 am
CliveS offline

petematheson wrote:
Oh!

I think Yale have discontinued this lock guys !?
I spoke with Safe.co.uk who don't stock the Bronze as they said they will stop making Bronze soon. I checked the Yale site and they've removed them completely.

https://www.yale.co.uk/en/yale/couk/pro ... oor-locks/

It would seem the Conexis L1 Smart Lock plus a Z-Wave Module 2 is now the way to go?

Not a good idea as the Conexis L1 does not auto lock (well you have to pull the handle up to lock) and no buttons for code entry, much prefer what I have even without tag and smart card support as Z-Wave , Siri and Alexa works fine for me.

CliveS