Virtual Sensors

Posted on
Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:57 am
richy240 offline

Virtual Sensors

I would like to see a feature very similar to virtual on/off devices, but rendered as a sensor. I can imagine a few possibilities for this, but I would personally use them for home/away indicators for users of the system.

Posted on
Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:06 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Virtual Sensors

What would be the advantage over a variable for a single value like a sensor?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:50 pm
richy240 offline

Just aesthetics, really - a quick and (mildly) pretty way to see who's home, and entirely for use in the mobile app. But you can forget it, I created a SUPER simple and pretty rough plugin (my first!) that does it. I'm going to refine it (A LOT) and post it to the forums at some point. I don't know if it'll be of use to anyone else, but I like it better than using a Virtual On/Off Device connected to a variable.

Posted on
Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:37 am
eme jota ce offline

jay (support) wrote:
What would be the advantage over a variable for a single value like a sensor?

IF you could also add the ability to add some math into the virtual sensor, it would be helpful to easily convert and extend existing sensor values For example, my ZXT-120 reports temperatures and sensor values in celsius, but a virtual sensor with math could easily multiply by 9/5 and add 32 to bring the sensor back into the imperialist's comfort range.

Posted on
Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:44 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Was just curious if it was something we hadn't though about. Definitely share the plugin - I suspect there are others that will find it interesting.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:55 pm
Topolino offline

Sorry if it's not cool to revive an old thread. I thought my question was relevant:

I'm implementing a small and inexpensive Wemos board to post updates to Indigo via Wifi. The example I am following are using Domoticz, and that platform seems to have a way of setting up virtual sensors that you can populate with data with an external source. I think it sounds like a great feature.

http://www.instructables.com/id/ESP8266-Soil-Moisture-Sensor-to-Domoticz/?ALLSTEPS

Is this something that you have considered since last time this was brought up?

Posted on
Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:23 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

There are a couple of approaches you could take for that in Indigo. You could just have a script that populates/updates Indigo variable values with the data. The other option would be to create a new plugin that defines sensor devices for the hardware. The Indigo SDK download has examples of all the device types, including binary and variable sensor devices. If you know python I would look into that approach. The plugins for simple devices can be pretty straightforward to create and the SDK has some good examples.

Page 1 of 1