Which 3 technologies/devices would you like to see supported

Which 3 technologies/devices would you like to see added to and/or officially supported in Indigo?

Posted on
Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:27 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Which 3 technologies/devices would you like to see suppo

Given the complexity of how the Indigo object model and API works in python, it is unlikely we will be providing a similar ruby interface. I did see some discussions online about running Ruby in python that might be helpful:

http://www.decalage.info/python/ruby_bridge
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3859 ... ole-output

That said, it will probably be easier just for you to pick up the python syntax you need. Writing basic scripts in python that communicate with Indigo are pretty easy, so if you already know a couple of other languages then python is likely to be easy to pickup. Here is a tutorial that has some useful python code snippets to illustrate how it works.

Posted on
Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:38 pm
gtreece offline

While I have not converted as much as I should have by now, I agree that it's relatively easy to pick up what Python you need, to keep Indigo plugging along.

Related to this poll, what is becoming more and more obvious, is that without a common controlling platform, the IoT is not taking off from a consumer standpoint. Those of us on this forum know that it's a better world when you can talk directly to your smart devices, versus relying on a web service to communicate with them. As new smart devices emerge, I hope we see more options for direct integration with them via standards like wifi and bluetooth, rather than proprietary web APIs that don't cooperate with each other or us. Consumers just aren't recognizing the benefits of IoT devices yet, and probably won't, until they become as commonplace as the digital clock built into your coffeemaker. Direct support for things like Nest would be awesome, but they will also have a limited shelf life, because the IoT will not stabilize for a while yet.

I really appreciate the Indigo platform, and recognize that it will never be able to support all the new widgets that will come along in the foreseeable future. I lean to preferring solid built-in support for protocols like z-wave and wifi, coupled with manufacturers that support those via direct channels. I hope that Indigo integration of new products on those core channels picks up speed, and that we continue to have a robust and open community where the less common protocols and products can still find interested groups to explore and exploit them to the extent that their APIs allow it.

Indigo has progressed significantly in the years I've been using it, and is extremely powerful, but it's still not quite plug and play for the typical consumer. A lot of that comes from the protocols themselves being a bit finicky, but you still have to have a passion for tinkering with it all. Otherwise, a regular light switch works just fine...

Posted on
Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:14 am
moscomedve offline

matt (support) wrote:
http://www.decalage.info/python/ruby_bridge
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3859 ... ole-output

I took a quick look at those and decided it would be MUCH simpler, and probably far more reliable to just pick up some Python.

Thank you though.

Posted on
Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:37 am
Different Computers offline

I would have voted for Hue support, but the 3rd party plugin is SO GOOD you don't need to add it.

ZIGBEE pleazeeeebeee.

And I'll add Siri rather than Alexa. I don't want Amazon ALSO all up in my business. And Siri/AppleWatch also of course would include geoFencing.

Seems to me that if Indigo had something like direct HomeKit zero configuration, you would suddenly sell a LOT of new installations. HomeKit is bumping along with slow uptake, and something like Indigo to arbitrate to all sorts of 3rd party devices is the biggest piece that's missing. Of course, it's entirely possible that Apple wants it that way, and would never HomeKit certify a product that communicates with Indigo.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:29 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Unfortunately, we can't directly support HomeKit due to Apple's licensing restrictions (there are no software bridges allowed).

For HomeKit integration, you should look at the homebridge stuff one of our users is working on. It's based on reverse-engineered technology, so we don't directly support it. However, I think there are plenty of users who have successfully configured it to work.

Zigbee is on the feature request list.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:48 am
Different Computers offline

Yup, that's what I figured.

And Home Bridge is on the list, somewhere after "get it all up and working with no logic programming mistakes" and "design and implement pretty Control Pages".

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:55 am
howartp offline

Different Computers wrote:
And Home Bridge is on the list, somewhere after "get it all up and working with no logic programming mistakes" and "design and implement pretty Control Pages".

So you're not actually going to use Home Bridge then... ;-)

There's no such thing as "after" all that lot!

Posted on
Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:38 am
durosity offline

jay (support) wrote:
However, I think there are plenty of users who have successfully configured it to work.

I've got it working with lights, devices and locks. It's pretty reliable in my experience.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:44 am
Londonmark offline

+1

Posted on
Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:48 am
brianlloyd offline

Most of those I don't even recognize. Apple watch maybe. I suspect a fair number of people use Sonos. (I don't as nothing from Sonos is HiFi.) Amazon Echo is probably the one thing that seems most interesting.

Posted on
Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:30 am
citysnaps offline

Wish I could cast all three votes for Lutron Caseta Smartbridge! The switches/dimmers and Pico remotes are really nice and well thought out.

Brad
Urban photoblog: www.citysnaps.net

Posted on
Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:39 am
FlyingDiver offline

citysnaps wrote:
Wish I could cast all three votes for Lutron Caseta Smartbridge! The switches/dimmers and Pico remotes are really nice and well thought out.

You should be able to control your Caseta system with the Lutron plugin: https://www.indigodomo.com/library/252/

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:24 am
citysnaps offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
citysnaps wrote:

You should be able to control your Caseta system with the Lutron plugin: https://www.indigodomo.com/library/252/

Thanks, I've been researching that. Unfortunately I have the regular Caseta Smart Bridge, rather than the Smart Bridge Pro version which that Plugin apparently needs. OTOH, if I go forward, I could purchase the Pro version, though it's a little pricey.

Brad
Urban photoblog: www.citysnaps.net

Posted on
Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:29 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Last time I looked (admittedly, over a year ago), only the Pro bridge had an API available.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:03 am
FlyingDiver offline

jay (support) wrote:
Last time I looked (admittedly, over a year ago), only the Pro bridge had an API available.

Pretty sure you're right. Trying to hack the communications that the non-Pro bridge uses to Lutron's servers isn't worth the effort, IMO.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Page 6 of 10 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10