Insteon 2243-222 Hub Pro Support

Posted on
Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:37 pm
Chompy offline

Insteon 2243-222 Hub Pro Support

Any chance that the Insteon 2243-222 Hub Pro will be supported by Indigo? I currently have it running along side Indigo with only one issue, which is that when the Hub Pro updates a device, Indigo doesn't see the device state change. My only work around for this at the moment is to have Indigo send a status request every 2 minutes to update the devices states, which is less than ideal to say the least.

Posted on
Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:08 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Insteon 2243-222 Hub Pro Support

It's on our list for future consideration.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:43 am
midd offline

Are there any advantages of using of the hub to need/want it integrated with Indigo?

Indigo 7, Monterey (12.1) on a 2009 Mac Pro..

Posted on
Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:18 pm
Chompy offline

It adds the ability to use Siri to control Insteon & HomeKit devices.

Sadly, the new Insteon+ app is buggy, which makes setting up devices a nightmare at the moment.

Posted on
Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:27 am
garty offline

If you've ever used Siri to control your devices you could never want go back to tapping

Unfortunately I'm going to have to - the hub is just so unreliable my advice to anyone here is don't bother at least until they do a firmware update. Here are some of the highlights I experienced

The hub couldn't be detected by the app - it had to be factory reset new out of the box to work - not a good first impression
    I had to move the hub to a different location before it could add any devices.
    I only ever successfully added two LampLincs and a SwitchLinc - most other devices that Indigo could see without a problem the hub would never find.
    This morning the hub had no devices. I tried to add them through the app and the app wanted to add the hub. Despite factory reset the app can no longer detect the hub
    Thats the last straw, its going back

Posted on
Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:47 pm
spiv offline

The Insteon Hub Pro is crap

The only thing interesting is that by supporting Apple HomeKt, you can control it via Siri voice commands. In every other way, it is buggy, and has missing functions and poorly working when it does.

Over the past few weeks I have purchased Insteon Hub Pro (new HomeKit model), Insteon Hub (original model, came in a starter kit I got at Walmart for 75% clearance so just the regular Insteon modules in the kit were worth the price), and I just got delivery of iHome SmartPlug (HomeKit compatible).

The older Insteon hub is reliable and his more features then the new Hub Pro. I can only blame this on a product rushed to market as the missing features have nothing to do with Apple HomeKit limitations or changes.

The iHome SmartPlug (direct ac power plug with built-in Wifi, no extra hub needed) works ok, but also has version 1 limitations. unlike Insteon, the features it has work and is not buggy, but is still very limited.

Folks, a big shout out to Indigo - the difference between Indigo and these new consumer products is night and day. indigo is so robust, reliable, and full-featured along with a clean user interface and extensibility with scripts, plug-ins, and. Virtual devices that no one else matches.

After playing with these HomeKit products I will unequivocally say that unless you are desparate to use Siri voice commands to do basic Device control, there is really no driving reason to need HomeKit integration now. (Future potential is another story, but for now, Siri voice commands are so flaky and syntax sensitive that instead of re-phrasing my voice command 5 times to get it working, it is easier to use Indigo touch or an Insteon keypad)

In truth, my most important automation scenarios are, well, automated via triggers (door sensors and motion detectors) so voice commands, with the crude HomeKit scenes and limited triggers, is a big step backward at this time.)

Compatibility note - I added these hubs and devices to my existing house where I run Insteon and Indigo. I only use on/off controls outside of Indigo - no schedules, sensors, or triggers, so although Indigo is not aware of these hubs and can't detect device changes initiated outside of Indigo, they can peaceably co-exist so I can play around with the other hubs/devices.

If you really want to try HomeKit, I suggest the iHome SmartPlug as it does not need a hub and runs in wifi so it is the cheapest and easiest "one-off" to play with.

Have not tried Ecobee or El Gato, but I think my beta testing of HomeKit devices is over for now.

Posted on
Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:19 am
Fxguy offline

I'm glad I came across this! I have been running Indigo since V4 and have recently been thinking of purchasing an insteon Hub to run my home automation since my current setup is running on a VERY VERY old Mac Pro (2006 model! ) that is sitting in my living room next to the television. Our toddler son is fascinated by the power button and so its a bit frustrating to have to restart the server when he starts playing with it. After reading this I'm sticking with what I have!

Thanks!

Posted on
Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:14 am
MrJeffreyGee offline

My controller just died and I need to get a new one. Any update about this being supported with Indigo? If not, I'm surprised cause this would make Indigo more valuable since you can add controls for more HomeKit devices easily and give people the detailed controls they desire. I would really like to use this as my controller. From everything I'm reading this thing works very well and it's the Insteon app that's giving it a bad name, which was brought to light cause Apple released their Home app and things work well with it.

Posted on
Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:46 am
spiv offline

Insteon via HomeKit is still very limited. I would stay away unless you want a toy-level experience.

The Apple Home App is ok, but there are still so many limitations with the HomeKit architecture that even if the Insteon HomeKit Hub was ok (which it is not), I would not recommend HomeKit for anything but very low end, single-room setups.

Siri voice control is also very crude. If you want voice control, the Amazon Alexa / Amazon Dot is the way to go. It is not perfect, but it is clearly the run-away market leader and there are many ways to integrate it into a reasonable solution.

As an indepent endorsement, Crestron and Control4, the old-school $50,000 to $100,000 custom system guys, have both embraced Amazon Alexa and integrated with it. That is a pretty big endorsement. Neither one of these big systems guys (and they control a lot of the high end market) have done anything with HomeKit.

Posted on
Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:28 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Indigo does not support the INSTEON hub at this time, nor do we have any near term plans to add support for it. Indigo works well with the USB based PowerLinc 2413U.

Posted on
Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:43 pm
PottedPorkProduct offline

If HomeKit compatibility is your goal, look into the Homebridge-indigo package. Coloradofourwheeler has written an indigo wrapper for that package and it works "well enough" to get Siri control working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1