Sequential operation toggle

Posted on
Mon May 18, 2015 8:31 pm
Radjin offline

Sequential operation toggle

Sometimes you do not want another device to run before the previous one in the list turns off.

I was building an action list of irrigation devices I want to run in order but never at the same time and found that due to command lag or any other reason I had to place large delays that compounded between each device run time. A sequential toggle that looks for confirmation before continuing to the next device in the list would be very helpful.

Radjin~

It's not rocket science...

Posted on
Mon May 18, 2015 11:01 pm
SpencerJRoberts offline

Re: Sequential operation toggle

Actions in an action group attempt to run simultaneously, and there's no way for that action group to know what it is you want to wait for before executing the next. If all you are doing is running a basic irrigation schedule this can be done easily in a number of different ways. The most basic way would be to have your action within the action group be: Device Actions --> Sprinkler Actions --> Run Schedule.

If you want to get more complex with it, you can do a lot with Python scripts and sprinklers. I am actually currently writing a Sprinkler plugin which should be ready for beta in a few weeks to a month, so stay tuned. :mrgreen:

Posted on
Mon May 18, 2015 11:15 pm
Radjin offline

I use individuals dual relay switches and have built a schedule that works. But in building that schedule I realized I had to not only account for the time each device ran but had to add to that the delay until the next device started. With basically two timers running for every device except the first, if I made a change in the second I would have to update every device behind it. I know Indigo monitors the device on/off status. If it had a toggle to delay until it saw the off/on confirmation of the previous device then setting up a complex list of non-overlapping devices would be easy.

Radjin~

Posted on
Tue May 19, 2015 7:45 am
RogueProeliator offline

If it had a toggle to delay until it saw the off/on confirmation of the previous device then setting up a complex list of non-overlapping devices would be easy.

You can pretty much accomplish this with triggers -- the "Off" of one zone would trigger the "On" for the next zone. You could setup a variable (or variables) to set the schedule then trigger the first zone "On". As soon as that turned off, the trigger for the second zone would kick on and run its scheduled duration.

Skipping a device / zone would be easy, though changing the order would be more involved in this case. Based on what you have told us, however, I believe it would work.

Adam

Posted on
Tue May 19, 2015 6:53 pm
Radjin offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
If it had a toggle to delay until it saw the off/on confirmation of the previous device then setting up a complex list of non-overlapping devices would be easy.

You can pretty much accomplish this with triggers -- the "Off" of one zone would trigger the "On" for the next zone. You could setup a variable (or variables) to set the schedule then trigger the first zone "On". As soon as that turned off, the trigger for the second zone would kick on and run its scheduled duration.

Skipping a device / zone would be easy, though changing the order would be more involved in this case. Based on what you have told us, however, I believe it would work.

Adam

Yes, that will work too and I considered it, however it would require some 12 triggers and again any changes would require adjusting multiple settings.

Radjin~

Posted on
Tue May 19, 2015 9:19 pm
SpencerJRoberts offline

Out of curiosity, why are you using regular relays instead of something like the EZFlora/EZRain?

Posted on
Tue May 19, 2015 9:34 pm
Radjin offline

SpencerJRoberts wrote:
Out of curiosity, why are you using regular relays instead of something like the EZFlora/EZRain?

Cheaper, more reliable, smaller and infinitely expendable. Should one relay go out in a combined system the whole system is a waste, should one relay go out in my design, I simply replace it. No special interface needed except a simple sequential toggle.
Last edited by Radjin on Tue May 19, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Tue May 19, 2015 9:40 pm
SpencerJRoberts offline

Gotcha. Well I'd say you should go with Adams suggestion and/or write a script/plugin to handle your situation, because as you said it will be tricky and cumbersome to manage as you change/expand. Since you don't have the native sprinkler commands available to you this is your best option, otherwise you end up with tons of Indigo variables to manage.

Posted on
Tue May 19, 2015 10:09 pm
Radjin offline

SpencerJRoberts wrote:
Gotcha. Well I'd say you should go with Adams suggestion and/or write a script/plugin to handle your situation, because as you said it will be tricky and cumbersome to manage as you change/expand. Since you don't have the native sprinkler commands available to you this is your best option, otherwise you end up with tons of Indigo variables to manage.

Agreed, that is why I posted in the feature request, as there are many situations where sequential operation would be desirable. Indigo already allows changing the order of devices in the list so that part is done.

Posted on
Wed May 20, 2015 7:48 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Thanks for the feature request. This one was already on our request list.

Posted on
Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am
berkinet offline

SpencerJRoberts wrote:
...I am actually currently writing a Sprinkler plugin which should be ready for beta in a few weeks to a month, so stay tuned. :mrgreen:
You might want to take a look at the Multiple Sprinkler Device Manager plugin. It may already do what you want.

Posted on
Wed May 20, 2015 6:17 pm
Radjin offline

matt (support) wrote:
Thanks for the feature request. This one was already on our request list.

Is there a list I can peruse before making a suggestion? Then I won't waste so much space on a conversation about it.

Posted on
Wed May 20, 2015 8:50 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

The list is internal (private), but we don't mind duplicate discussions. It helps us get a better feel for the demand of features, and different people often have different spins on exactly what they need, which helps us better design and develop the features.

Page 1 of 1