Simple Feature Requests

Posted on
Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:33 pm
kalisphoenix offline

Re: Simple Feature Requests

Number columns that sort in, ah, correct order (ie, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12...) instead of "alphabetical" order (ie, 1,10,11,12,2,3,4...). I'm thinking specifically of the "Group..." column in the Powerlinc Links window. It'd also be nice if the rest of the UI sorted things the way that OS X does (items with numbers in their names are sorted correctly regardless of where the number appears in the name), but I don't know how OS X does its sorting.

Not that this should distract anyone from discovering a clever hack to make programming the IRLinc transmitter less of a pain in the ass or anything ;-)

Posted on
Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:44 am
duck offline

Fonts

Fonts ! We want Fonts !! Fonts, Fonts, Fonts !!!

Aw, come on Jay, just why are the fonts so limited :?:
Is there a way that we can add & or use our own fonts :?:

Jay, back in January you acknowledged that the fonts were limited.
But, that is all you said about it.
Would you like to elaborate as to why they are so limited :?:

It would be so much more "Funner" & creative to have a slew of fonts available.

Old Crow

Posted on
Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:48 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Fonts

Indigo supports a small set of fonts that are most likely to be found across all the different browsers and OSs. We should definitely add support for more fonts though, so it is on our feature consideration list.

Posted on
Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:15 am
kenjon offline

Growl support.
I saw a thread about Growl, but the request should go here, I guess.....

Posted on
Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:00 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun May 30, 2010 2:31 am
madivad offline

Re: Set brightness to variable value

In October 2006, Terry wrote:
Matt,

Variables are a big part of Indigo, used to store and manipulate all manner of info. One of the things I found I could not do was set a device brightness to a value in a variable.

It seems like a natural as a feature instead of needing to resort to a script.

If possible, please add it, thanks.
In response, Matt wrote:
Hi Terry,

I have some long term plans for this functionality (and quite a bit more functionality related to this). Unfortunately, it likely won't make it in before 2.0 ships.

Then
In May 2009, dovwolf (Alan) wrote:
At last caught up to actually changing from 3.x to 4.x and 2 features popped in to my head:

1. Use a variable to set the dim, brighten numbers would be convenient, that way you can just change the variable, for example, when the house goes to sleep mode, say, its at 100%, sleep mode kicks in and change it to 25%....

Almost 4 years later, what's the status of this?

I've got to a stage where I want my lights
1. 90% if turned on during the day
2. 65% during the evening (unless overridden)
3. 25% if going to the toilet (ie, house (and me) in sleep mode)

I can easily set these values, but I can't implement them without some crazy number of triggers, actions, timer actions and the rest (I haven't gotten as far as Apple Script yet)... and yes, half of these will disappear when multiple conditions come in, but for now it's a pain.... Is there an indigo light to be seen in a near update?

Dave

Posted on
Sun May 30, 2010 6:46 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Set brightness to variable value

It's on the feature request list, but the list is long and we're still working through priorities for the next release so there's no guarantee. The good news is that with 5.0 (which, unfortunately, is still a ways off) we're implementing a plugin API - so if we don't implement it directly, some 3rd party could implement it in a plugin.

In the meantime, a simple attachment script should help you to simplify:

Code: Select all
using terms from application "IndigoServer"
   on adjustBrightness(lightName, variableName)
      if supports dimming of device lightName is true then
         set brightness of device lightName to (value of variable variableName as number)
      end if
   end adjustBrightness
end using terms from

It defines a simple AppleScript handler that you'd call rather than setting the light directly. So, in your triggers that turn the lights on, you'd select "Execute AppleScript" and put this into the "Embedded" field:

Code: Select all
   adjustBrightness("YOUR DEVICE NAME HERE", "YOURVARNAMEHERE")

So, whenever this trigger (or time date action) runs, the light's brightness will be set to the value of the supplied variable.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:00 am
DomoPat offline

I am a new user of Indigo, but transferring my 10 years old home control system from another software... I enjoy very much the client-server architecture and Indigo touch, and the general quality of Indigo.

As a new user looking at Indigo with "virgin" eyes, I remarked that it would be nice to:
- display the last change date of devices in the devices pane of the main window. There is space in there and it is really useful to see when a device last action happened.
- the need to capitalize exactly the devices names or variables in the trigger action or groups drives me crazy and generates a lot of errors.
- and when a group fails because of that it is not easy to identify which one it is and which action failed. I have a lot of delayed actions, and in this case it is difficult to find the culprit. The logging of the error message could be more precise.
- I miss an AppleScript verb for "how long since the last change": very useful for a lot of monitoring of devices or to avoid multiple pushes on a remote command button.
- inverted on/off: I have a Powerflash device on a flowmeter for the pool pump. Unfortunately the switch is Off when there is flow and On when the flow is stopped. So I have to name the device something like "No Flow in Pool" and have a double negative with "No Flow in Pool" being Off means there is flow... not a big deal but it would be nice to have a "reverse on/off" option for this type of cases.
- color in the log of messages created with AppleScript. Nice to be able to set the type, I would also like to write some things in red or blue...

Again, this is just feedback from a newbie, maybe I missed some options or possibilities. Indigo is great and very well designed, working like a charm on my 10 years old Cube !

Thanks,

Patrick

Posted on
Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:57 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Great feedback, thanks.

DomoPat wrote:
- display the last change date of devices in the devices pane of the main window. There is space in there and it is really useful to see when a device last action happened.

Agreed. It is actually stored, and you can get to it through AppleScript: last changed of device "blah" returns an AppleScript date object with the last time/date that device "blah" changed.

DomoPat wrote:
- the need to capitalize exactly the devices names or variables in the trigger action or groups drives me crazy and generates a lot of errors.

I'm assuming you're talking about in AppleScripts. We're not likely to change those names to be case insensitive - that kind of change makes migration very difficult when there's a conflict (among other problems). We're hoping to expose a unique id (per object type: device, action group, etc) so you don't have to worry about identifying by names (which obviously can change).

DomoPat wrote:
- and when a group fails because of that it is not easy to identify which one it is and which action failed. I have a lot of delayed actions, and in this case it is difficult to find the culprit. The logging of the error message could be more precise.

Agreed, and error log improvements are definitely on the list.

DomoPat wrote:
- I miss an AppleScript verb for "how long since the last change": very useful for a lot of monitoring of devices or to avoid multiple pushes on a remote command button.

See above - the last changed verb is there so it should be pretty easy to calculate it.

DomoPat wrote:
- inverted on/off: I have a Powerflash device on a flowmeter for the pool pump. Unfortunately the switch is Off when there is flow and On when the flow is stopped. So I have to name the device something like "No Flow in Pool" and have a double negative with "No Flow in Pool" being Off means there is flow... not a big deal but it would be nice to have a "reverse on/off" option for this type of cases.
- color in the log of messages created with AppleScript. Nice to be able to set the type, I would also like to write some things in red or blue...

Color coding via type is also on the list. I'd really like to see it so we'll see if it makes it in for 5.0.

DomoPat wrote:
Again, this is just feedback from a newbie, maybe I missed some options or possibilities. Indigo is great and very well designed, working like a charm on my 10 years old Cube !

Feedback is always appreciated. Welcome to the Indigo community.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:23 am
DomoPat offline

jay wrote:
Great feedback, thanks.

DomoPat wrote:

Agreed. It is actually stored, and you can get to it through AppleScript: last changed of device "blah" returns an AppleScript date object with the last time/date that device "blah" changed.

yes, I saw in AS, this is why I thought it was possible and simple. :)

DomoPat wrote:

I'm assuming you're talking about in AppleScripts. We're not likely to change those names to be case insensitive - that kind of change makes migration very difficult when there's a conflict (among other problems). We're hoping to expose a unique id (per object type: device, action group, etc) so you don't have to worry about identifying by names (which obviously can change).

Not only in Applescripts, also in Groups... another way would be to offer a popupmenu of existing devices and variables.

DomoPat wrote:

See above - the last changed verb is there so it should be pretty easy to calculate it.

Yes, but no. Let's say the last_changed date of the remote switch "blah" is 12:15. If you push it at 12:25 I was expecting the value of last changed in an embedded script to be 12:15, but it is 12:25 ! I thought last_changed was updated internally after everything is processed, not before. I worked around by creating my own variable but it is a few more steps and en extra variable for each button.

DomoPat wrote:

Color coding via type is also on the list. I'd really like to see it so we'll see if it makes it in for 5.0.

Great !

DomoPat wrote:

Feedback is always appreciated. Welcome to the Indigo community.

Thank you, it is good to be able to give feedback !

Patrick

Posted on
Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:10 am
eme jota ce offline

Indigo Execute Missed Time / Date Actions after Restart

Would there be a way to tag selected time/date actions as "persistent," so that when the Indigo server restarts, it automatically looks for any "persistent" time/date actions that were not executed during the time period it was down, then executes them in chronological order?

Posted on
Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:30 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Trying to play catch-up is challenging at best. Attempting to try to figure out what to process and what to skip, even with a "hint", would present a significant amount of work, particularly given demand for that type of feature. It's already on our list, just wanted to let you know it's a pretty low priority. Sorry... :(

If it's really that critical, I'd put my Mac on a UPS. Of course, if power goes out, the lights are going to get out of sync anyhow. However, for about 10 minutes back, Indigo will attempt to play catch up with time/date actions when the interface goes offline with a power failure. (I think it's 10 minutes or so).

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:03 pm
anode offline

Reconnect?

Is there a place to have the client reconnect to the server?
My MBP seems to drop out every now and then. Would like the client to try to reestablish the connection.
(though not every 5 seconds for 30 hours, could clog up the system. Maybe a pref as to how often and how many tries for it gives up?)

Posted on
Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:36 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The Mac client? No - it will try a couple of times to reconnect if there's an interruption but will just give up and throw up the connection dialog after a short while.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:13 pm
seanadams offline

This problem is usually handled with an exponential backoff... eg retry after 2, 4, 8, 16 etc seconds maxing out at say 2 minutes.

You also want to restart the sequence if the client's OS has been put to sleep and woken up again. Happens all the time to me when I close my laptop - it never reconnects.