Make your own HTML control pages...

Posted on
Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:52 am
george99 offline

Make your own HTML control pages...

Has anyone made their own HTML control pages?
Meaning create an HTML page, and just build whatever you need. Every action can call the indigo server to do what you want.

Posted on
Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:01 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: Make your own HTML control pages...

I have but it's not worth the effort unless you are going to implement a heavy Javascript Ajax system because you need to constantly poll the system for changes since it won't be broadcasting them to you. You can also roll your own web server via a plugin and have it more two-way but that seems an exercise in futility since the existing Indigo server is fine and also they are totally revamping the API in the near future.

The bigger question would be: what would you expect to gain by doing this and are those gains worth the not insignificant amount of coding required to pull this off?

I did it for a very specific purpose and scrapped it after a while because it was too difficult to maintain.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:12 pm
TheJensen offline

I've wanted to do this for a long time... but as Colorado4Wheeler said, it's a lot of work. Think about dozens of devices with on/off/level states that change regularly that you've got to constantly poll for their status.

I've been contemplating a hybrid solution where I'd build a bunch of small control pages (one per room, or by common functions) and then string them together on a custom HTML page via iFrames. This way I would be able to mix in additional web parts with the Indigo Control Pages, add more style/design, and include some animation or transitions between screens. I'm convinced this will work, but just haven't spent the time to get into it yet.

The beauty of this solution (at least in my head) is that I don't have to reinvent the core functionality of Indigo. And, in theory, future updates shouldn't break anything.

Posted on
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:17 pm
george99 offline

Yeah this is what I was worried about.
Thanks.

Page 1 of 1