Advance to different control pages depending on a variable?

Posted on
Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:22 pm
jon offline

Advance to different control pages depending on a variable?

I'm working on control pages for my A/V setup to replace my aging Harmony remote. One of the Harmony features I'd like to emulate is a button for "Current Activity" -- I want to be able to flip among various device-details control pages and jump directly back to the main page for whatever A/V activity is running without having to back-back-back-back to reach it.

It's easy enough to set a variable when launching an activity, but I can't figure out how to make a single button launch different control pages depending on a variable state. Is this something I'd need to cobble together an IWS plugin for, or am I going about it the wrong way entirely?

Posted on
Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:32 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: Advance to different control pages depending on a variab

Are you looking for your pages to be dynamic or are you looking for simple navigation? If just navigation then you can link to the home page easily on your control pages, you don't HAVE to go back to get to the previous page, there are links in the control page design to help with that.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 2.31.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 2.31.45 PM.png (40.89 KiB) Viewed 1770 times

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:57 am
jon offline

Going back to "home" is my plan B.

The scenario I'm picturing is the following:

I sit down on the couch, launch living room home page.
From this page, I launch "watch a DVD" activity, which does all the basic equipment setup and presents the "activity page" for "watch a DVD". This has controls relevant to that A/V use case.

Now I click through some other pages - maybe processor details to tweak surround volume, then lighting details to turn off the porch light that's annoyingly reflecting off the screen.

On the "details" pages, I want a button that jumps me back to the "Watch DVD" page, because that's the current living room usecase. Or scene if you will.

Another way of putting it is I want the "living room homepage" to have different content depending on the current scene.

The harmony remote I've been using for a thousand years has a dedicated key for "current activity" that shortcuts directly back to the current scene page from anywhere in the menu tree, and I've kind of gotten used to that UI feature.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:07 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I'll make sure it's on the (extremely long) list of Control Page enhancements. I suspect there are multiple ways of handling this and we have a ton of features around control page navigation so it's probably already covered.

I expect that you could get mostly there by using the a "back" button that always goes back to the previous page. You might have to hit it a couple of times, but that would likely get you close.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:36 am
jon offline

I'm definitely not used to thinking in terms of control page features yet.

As I've been tinkering, it's looking like I'll have few enough "details" pages (due to the huge amount of real estate on each screen) that the navigation depth won't get too bad.

So far none of my mockups have survived encounter with reality :)

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1