Has anyone seen this - updates paused tap anywhere to resume

Posted on
Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:23 am
norcoscia offline

Has anyone seen this - updates paused tap anywhere to resume

I have two different devices running indigo touch - they both get this message but I can't figure out what is causing it or (more importantly) how to make it stop. Neither device should be downloading anything?

BTW, if I do tap - it just goes away (for a while) but comes back - :?:
Attachments
Tap.jpg
Tap.jpg (226.04 KiB) Viewed 3163 times

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:38 am
ELWOOD offline

Re: Has anyone seen this - updates paused tap anywhere to re

I get that some times, I think it is not Indigo but the iPad trying to do it's automatic updates when it is running on battery.

Elwood

Posted on
Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:41 am
durosity offline

I thought it happened when the connection was on Reflector and too much bandwidth had been used.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:50 am
norcoscia offline

I don't think it is automatic updates - I have that turned off. I really hope there is a way to get it to stop - the message serves no purpose and is very annoying :-(

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:38 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

That occurs when Indigo Touch is connecting to Indigo via reflector and there hasn't been any activity (touches) on the device for a while. To conserve bandwidth (reflector requests have to go through our server) we pause the updates in that case. In cases of Control Pages with refreshing images the amount of bandwidth that can be used really starts to add up if it is updating 24/7.

If this occurred with a device that is on the same WiFi network as Indigo, then something occurred/failed that caused Indigo to switch over to using the reflector. In normal cases when the connection via WiFi is restored or reappears Indigo Touch automatically switches back to the direct connection. If it didn't switch back automatically, then you can reselect your Indigo Server on the settings screen (gear icon). Note the settings screen will also show you if it is connected via WiFi directly or using the reflector.

Posted on
Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:47 pm
Different Computers offline

Thanks for asking about this OP! I have been seeing it, and didn't know why it happened. Now I know I need to reconfigure the iPad Mini to use the local address not the reflector. I thought it was already, actually, but I guess not.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:17 pm
norcoscia offline

I'm a bit confused by this if I understand you correctly Matt, both devices are in my house on WiFi and have no cell capability (along with my indigo server) so they should never need to go through the reflector.

Is there a way to set up touch so it will never try to connect via the reflector. On the wall mounted IPAD under "CHOOSE AN INDIGO SERVER"( in setting) the only things listed are my house and the demo server. I don't see a way to edit out the reflector info under the "CONNECTED SERVER INFO" section (for my home).

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:23 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

The reflector can be needed over WiFi (ex: you are at Starbucks on their WiFi). Indigo tries to connect using Bonjour/zeroconf first but if that doesn't resolve or fails then it will fallback to using the reflector. If you are selecting the auto-discovered server item in the settings then there is no way to disable reflector fallback on a per-iOS device basis (you can only turn off all reflector usage in Indigo Server). However, if you manually enter the IP address as a new connection in Indigo Touch (make sure your Mac has a statically assigned IP in that case) it will always only use that IP address and not fallback to the reflector if it fails.

Lots of times when Bonjour fails to resolve it is because the router (or sometimes Mac) has gotten into a funky state. So if Indigo continues to use the reflector when you select your server then try restarting your router and Mac to see if that helps.

Posted on
Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:39 pm
norcoscia offline

OK, I understand - I guess I should have said all devices are on my LAN (on WIFi).

My sever does have a static IP. I"ll remove the home server (via name) and add a server specified by IP address..

Thanks, I'll give that a shot... :-)

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:43 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Sounds good. Note the Bonjour discovered server entry will likely reappear after you delete it because it will be rediscovered, but you can just ignore it since you'll have selected your manual defined server entry.

Posted on
Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:04 pm
durosity offline

Feature request on this.. perhaps a setting in indigo touch to disable connecting via reflector.. I have a few mounted iPads that are always at home but occasionally if something has happened they seem to switch to using reflector rather than bonjour and I end up getting this message (I’ve forced them to connect to a manual server but afaik that sends the username and password in plain text and what with the recent KRACK issues that makes me nervous ), and secondly perhaps change the message to say “Connection to reflector is paused, tap to resume” for when it is actually using that :)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:24 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Added to request list.

Posted on
Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:48 pm
durosity offline

Wish list request: publish the wish list ;)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:50 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I'll sell it to you. :mrgreen:

Posted on
Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:51 pm
durosity offline

How does 25% Of jays house sound?