Best way to determine network connection

Posted on
Wed May 24, 2017 1:15 pm
johnfdl offline

Best way to determine network connection

So I have a control page which has a refreshing image URL which is basically the URL of my IP Cam. I set it to the external URL (i.e., the IP address provided by by ISP) as opposed to the internal URL (192.168...etc) so it would work when away from home. Do I even need to do this since my Indigo is running on my home network? I ask because I am unsure of the network path to the URL....is it from my device (e.g., phone) or is it from Indigo. If the former, I assume I need the external IP address, but if the latter, could I just put in the local IP address?

I came up with the question when I began considering if I could have the control page somehow conditionally determine which IP to use in the URL based on if the user was connected to the LAN or remote. I assume using the internal IP address would yield a faster render as there would be fewer hops out to the net. Or is it really not an issue and I should just leave it alone?

Posted on
Wed May 24, 2017 5:02 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Best way to determine network connection

Indigo serves the image to it's clients - so unless you're directly accessing the camera from outside your network, they only need to be available internally.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu May 25, 2017 5:16 am
johnfdl offline

Re: Best way to determine network connection

Thanks. That makes things easier.

Page 1 of 1