Part of control Pages freezes

Posted on
Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:36 am
Gusten offline

Part of control Pages freezes

Hi

I am running Indigo Server on a macmini 2015, and this is connected to 22" Dell TouchScreen were i have one Control page.

So i Always have the controlpages up.

The problem is that very often some parts of the controlpages freeze.

I have for example several "Refreshing Image URL" and sometimes some of them shows an old image, but not all of them. (When i open the controlpage from an other computer it shows the right image)

The weird thing is that it not the complete controlpage that freeze but differnt parts.

Sometimes the refreshing image is OK but the controlbuttons stops working, and sometimes the teperature Reading has freezed but Everything else is working.

I dont think the problem is in Indigo Server beacouse if i open a new browser or refrech its starts to work.

I am using Safari in kioskmode (Have tried not using kioskmode, and same error)

(I tried differnt browser as well, and its the same problem)

It seems like its working for a day or so then the troubble starts.

Anyone have any idea what it can bee?
Attachments
controlpage.JPG
controlpage.JPG (295.35 KiB) Viewed 4082 times
Last edited by Gusten on Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:16 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Part of control Pages freezes

Jay and I have talked about this one some and cannot think of what is going wrong. I wonder if that particular image fetch is stalling for some reason. Maybe since it never completes the next refresh doesn't occur.

If you do a refresh of the page twice a day, does the problem never occur? I'm wondering if it is related to leaving the page open and the refreshes going for over a day, or if it just occurs randomly but takes an average long time (about a day) for a failure to occur.

Are the images being refreshed large (in byte count, not dimensions)? I wonder if the problem only occurs with large-ish images.

Is anyone else out there experiencing this problem?

Posted on
Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:56 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Re: [ANSWERED]: Part of control Pages freezes

Not sure if it's Gusten's problem but I had a similar issue with large pngs not completely
loading consistently. I solved it by shrinking the file sizes using tinypng.com (free)
It will typically reduce them by around 70 to 80% with no noticeable loss in quality.

Carl

Posted on
Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:30 am
Gusten offline

Re: [ANSWERED]: Part of control Pages freezes

Hi

The images are quite small (11k - 120k)

But i found out when looking, that the Control pages is using up all memory and thats why its not responding.

When leaving the Control pages up for a long time, Everything is slow responding on the MacMini and the memory use is full

But if i close the controlpages (Safari), the memory is OK and Everything is responding again.

It seems like the memory slowly fills up, i takes about a day for it to reach its limit.

The process were most of the memory is "Safari Networking" (6GB) and "http:127.0.0.1:8076" (1GB) when its starts to reach its memorymax

The "Safari" process is very low (40Mb)

When refreaching the page Everything is the same, but when restaring Safari, Everything is back to normal, but you can see the memory use ricing.

When trying Google Crome insteed, i get the same problem but the process is "google Chrome helper" who uses all the memory.

Anyone have have any idea how to make the controlpage stop eating all my memory?

Posted on
Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:44 pm
Different Computers offline

I have too little experience with my control pages, but if there's anything resembling an ongoing problem for me with Indigo, it's Control Pages.

My experience MIGHT be similar to the OP's but I can't tell yet.

But here's what I can tell:

Persistent authentication is going to be a huge WAF* issue. If she has to enter a login every time she wants to tell the lights to stay on when she's sitting quietly, she just plain won't. I would be willing to consider anything short of buying SSL certificates to fix this problem. Can we implement a cookie, a token, SOMETHING to allow true persistent authentication? Or at least iOS/MacOS standard authentication requests that allow for autofill of passwords vial the keychain?

Whenever I log in to what is my "main" control page, I have to log in twice. I could post a movie of this if you like. I'm sure by now that I'm not typing something wrong the first time. It happens EVERY time.

With that same main control page, my intention is to leave it up and running more or less 24/7. It's on an old iPad I on my kitchen counter, and it should just plain be there, running, ready to be tapped. But more or less every 12 hours, it becomes unresponsive. (By more or less, I don't mean sometimes 10 and sometimes 14. I mean sometimes in half a day, and sometimes in a day, but most likely it has to be reloaded when I come home from work and/or when I get up in the morning.).

Anyone got "keep alive" tricks for this last issue? I do not have my IWS computer or IWS rebooting every night. I've already made sure the control page is being loaded locally, not through the reflector.

*Wife Acceptance Factor, in case you guys don't use that term.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:01 pm
FlyingDiver offline

DC - are you accessing your control pages in a browser or using the Indigo Touch app?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:24 pm

Usually via a saved-to-home screen bookmark, so browser.

I don't recall if it happens via IT because I don't use that much, and in fact it won't load on the iPad I running iOS 5. Though I'm downloading the older version to try now.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:57 am

Downloaded the older, iOS 5 compatible version of Indigo Touch and I'm getting promising results so far re: authentication and even pages not freezing.

Fingers crossed and thanks for the idea!

Posted on
Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:24 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Different Computers wrote:
Persistent authentication is going to be a huge WAF* issue. If she has to enter a login every time she wants to tell the lights to stay on when she's sitting quietly, she just plain won't. I would be willing to consider anything short of buying SSL certificates to fix this problem. Can we implement a cookie, a token, SOMETHING to allow true persistent authentication? Or at least iOS/MacOS standard authentication requests that allow for autofill of passwords vial the keychain?

This will not happen in any version of Indigo Touch.

It happens in browsers because some browsers don't save HTTP digest authentication credentials, and worse some don't even cache them. So it's a browser issue.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:55 am
Gusten offline

Anyone have any idea what to to about the first threed question?

Were the browser eats all my memory, i read somthing about using Opera insteed, and it seems like its working better, but it alltso filles the memory, but it takes a couple of Days.

Is there a way to make the browser reestarts it self once every day to free memory

any tip is welcome

/Martin

Posted on
Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:50 am

Thanks for the explanation about IT instead of browser links. It is indeed working perfectly now regarding authentication.

OP: I would never recommend Chrome on a Mac if you're having trouble with RAM being eaten up. Chrome is very RAM hungry.

Oops! I see you're running it on a Dell.

I'm sure it's possible to set the Dell to restart somehow, and to have the control page be a startup item. But you'll need a PC guy to tell you how.

Posted on
Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:03 am
ckeyes888 offline

FWIW I run a 24/7 display on an older mini running Opera 47.2 and 10.6.8.
Has run nicely for years.

Carl

Posted on
Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:33 pm
Gusten offline

Nope the screen is a dell and its connected to a macmini the same as i am running indigo on

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:43 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Is there a way to make the browser reestarts it self once every day to free memory

You should be able to do this with a PowerShell script and schedule it to run nightly via Task Scheduler. Do a search on "powershell restart application" and you should get some hints and examples.

Adam

Posted on
Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:16 am
Gusten offline

Thanx for the hint but Isnt powershell a Windows application? Or is there a osx version?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk