Open IOS app to only a control page

Posted on
Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:33 am
joesan offline

Open IOS app to only a control page

I've been using Indigo for quite a while now and it's all working fairly smoothly but one thing I never quite figured out was how to present the best interface to other users in the house when they use the iPhone app.

When you open the Indigo IOS app it defaults to the 'Devices' page which looks unnecessarily complicated for more novice users.

Is there a way of starting other users of the IOS app on the control page? Ideally, in fact, I'd like to show them only a control page. Is that possible?

Posted on
Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:05 pm
howartp offline

Re: Open IOS app to only a control page

Posted on
Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:37 pm
joesan offline

That's great Peter. Thank you. That does get me quite a bit of the way there.

1. Presumably there's no way to make viewing the control-page-only persist even after quitting? Ideally I'd just have IOS app on others' phone only ever have the control page and no other for ever. That doesn't seem possible though, is it?

I add a "static image/caption" to the control panel and set the caption to " " (ie loads of spaces).

2. I'm not quite clear as to why you do this?

Posted on
Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:41 pm
howartp offline

1) Correct, that’s not possible yet.

2) You need a link somewhere on one or more pages to get “into” the hideNavBar mode. I choose to use an invisible text button as described but you could put it on any visible or invisible button/text.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:53 pm
joesan offline

Thanks Peter. That's clear now.

Thinking about the lack of persistence, it does seem a bit of a miss on the usability stakes. Surely many users would prefer to see only a simple interface with the actions laid out on a floorplan or nice graphical list rather than the arcane IOS devices list. Seems like being able to specify only control pages for certain IOS touch app users would be an easy win from a user interface point of view. It would hide all the irrelevant behind-the-scenes complexity from end users.

I guess that is the price we pay for using a more 'hobbyist' type of application. Great flexibility but the usability for non-techies can take a hit.

Posted on
Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:12 pm
howartp offline

Domopad for Android probably offers this feature; maybe one day someone (if/not Indigo) will provide an IOS app that does it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 1