Emoji as Variable value. How ☹️ an idea?

Posted on
Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:54 pm
Different Computers offline

Emoji as Variable value. How ☹️ an idea?

I just tried setting my houseMode variable to the "house" emoji and it worked. Displays fine in control pages!

Is it going to bite me in the butt later if I do this for any variable I might want to display graphically?

Disturbingly, trying to use the emoji in this post causes an SQL error.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 4.53.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 4.53.50 PM.png (112.33 KiB) Viewed 2342 times

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:03 pm

Fun fact:

The largest font size the Control Page editor allows is apparently 150.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:50 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Emoji as Variable value. How ☹️ an idea?

I personally think you may be flirting with backing yourself into a corner -- if you need that as a condition or reference in some random plugin or dialog down the line that doesn't support unicode... I'm not saying I know of anything specific off-hand, but there are definitely some plugins that don't fully support anything outside standard ASCII.

The "safer" way would be to create some an image for each potential house state and use the image heuristics of the control pages to show the correct image.

Posted on
Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:04 am

Re: Emoji as Variable value. How ☹️ an idea?

Thanks for posting that link to the heuristics. I had been wondering how that works, and it's hard to know what the terminology is to search for it.

Page 1 of 1