[ANSWERED]: Is this appropriate for using a variable?

Posted on
Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:14 pm
spiv offline

[ANSWERED]: Is this appropriate for using a variable?

Just getting started with Indigo so I've added some triggers that send me email message when certain Insteon devices are turned on or off. Basically, a convenience to not have to look at the Indigo logs and as a learning tool to see how things are done.

I was thinking that it might be a lot more useful to have the email sending be conditional based on a variable that I would create called "SendEmailTrace". Then I could toggle the email sending on or off by simply changing a variable and thus keep the triggers in place and simply turn them off when not needed.

Ideally, I would have some button I could click on in the iPhone Touch interface that toggles the variable EmailTrace On or Off so I could do this from anywhere.

Seems straightforward, but I'm not clear on how to define/create the new variable and then could do I create a touch interface "button" to toggle it on and off..

Also, will this work with standard or do I need the Pro edition? (Right now I'm testing Indigo and part of the eval is to see when/if I need the Pro edition.)

Thanks in advance for help on this...

Posted on
Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:50 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: Is this appropriate for using a variable?

In my opinion, the simplest way to do what you want is to create a Virtual Device (see Interfaces/Virtual Devices) then you can turn the device on or off at will. Then for your triggers, you can set a Condition to only fire off the email when the Virtual Device is on (or off take your pick).

I use a Virtual Device for vacation status. It works very well.

I must admit, though that I'm not up on whether Virtual Devices are available in the Lite version..
Dave

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:43 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Is this appropriate for using a variable?

Either approach sounds fine.

You create Indigo variables from the variable window. You can name the variable anything you want, then you can create actions (assigned to a control on a Control Page) that set it to True or False so that it can be used in a conditional.

Another approach is to use the actions that enable and disable Triggers (or Schedules) themselves. I do that for my security triggers — when I execute an action group to arm the system it enables different sets of Triggers (based on the arm/zone type I want), and when I disarm the system it disables all the zone Triggers.

Page 1 of 1