[ANSWERED]Possible to change volume of 'speak'?

Posted on
Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:34 pm
strat offline

[ANSWERED]Possible to change volume of 'speak'?

I am planning to use my mac for Indigo and for music playback from Spotify. The mac is connected to an amp (placed in an other room with a set volume), and the volume of music is controlled within Spotify.

As a result every voice synthesis speaks at maximum level. I don't want to reduce the main volume / system volume on the mac because then the music will not be able to play loud enough.

Is it possible to change the volume of 'speak' / voice synthesis?

As a new user I have not found a way yet. The only way I found is to use the Announcer plugin instead of the native 'speak'. It is possible to adjust the volume in this plugin; but a volume setting on the native 'speak' would be much more easy.

Is there a way? Any suggestions?

Posted on
Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:58 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Possible to change volume of 'speak'?

You can't adjust just the volume of the speech. I suspect though you could lower the system volume and raise the Spotify volume to accomplish the goal.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:14 am
strat offline

Re: [ANSWERED]Possible to change volume of 'speak'?

Thanks for your reply!

The problem is that if I lower the system volume, then Spotify is not able to play loud enough. (Max volume on Spotify is the same as the default level in Indigo.)

I guess I put this request on the list of Feature Requests and use the Announcer plugin until a volume setting one day may come. :wink:

Posted on
Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:36 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I'd love to fix it - but it's not possible since the OS doesn't allow you to change only speech volume.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:05 am
strat offline

Thanks for your reply!

I believe it must be possible, since the Announcer Plugin (a notification plugin) is able to do exactly this. (Changing the speech volume.)

The sound characteristics of the voice is excactly the same but the volume is very different when using both Indigos native speech and the Announcer plugin at the same time. (Depending on what volume I set in Announcer.)

Of course I know there is a lot of other tings on top of the list of Feature Requests, but I hope it is doable at a later stage :)

Posted on
Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:59 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I've added an item to the request list to investigate if there's some other way to address this issue, but as you point out it's not really high on the priority list.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:27 am
strat offline

Thanks! :D

Page 1 of 1