Alarm type open door beep

Posted on
Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:26 am
LKDH offline

Alarm type open door beep

I am new to Indigo/Insteon --though I did have the old Radio Shack X-10 (I think) push button switches many moons ago. So far I only have a few toggle-ling switches installed, but I have more equipment to add soon.

My apologies if I have missed this, but I did try to search the forums before posting.

I am adding some of the hidden door sensors to control lights/scenes, but on at least one of these doors, I would like to have it trigger a simple beep (or two) much like an exterior door on an alarm system sometimes does. That is, a "beep" or "beep-beep" when the door is opened.

I did try the "beep device" action on a switch as a test, but that is too soft of a sound (at least coming out of my installed toggle links) for my purposes. I also saw the I/O unit/ r/f chime bundle, but that seems to have more of doorbell type option for a sound, along with some songs which would be too much for this application.

Are there any simple beeping devices, preferably small and easily installed, that can be triggered by Indigo/plug-in? My idea would be to have 2-3 of these scattered throughout the house so that the sound could be easily heard throughout.

Thanks.

Posted on
Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:13 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Alarm type open door beep

Welcome. Unfortunately, I don't have any ideas for you really. It's a bit of an unusual request. Maybe someone else has an idea...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:19 am
howartp offline

Does your alarm system do this?

Even if you're not using them as real alarm conditions, you could potentially have a relay using the HA protocol of your choice (X10, Insteon, ZWave) that Indigo turns on/off or pulses whenever either if your hidden door sensors is triggered - connect that relay to an unused input on your alarm, and.... 'Beep beep' whenever you open a door.

Posted on
Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:23 am
berkinet offline

Take a look at http://www.sparkfun.com. They have all kinds of stuff. Try searching for sound or beeper.

Page 1 of 1