[SOLVED]notification center

Posted on
Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:49 am
dduff617 offline

[SOLVED]notification center

anyone know how to post a notification from an indigo action using the notification center interface in Mac OS X?

for certain categories of things like battery warnings, i would like to put a notification somewhere where it will persist until cleared as opposed to just logging or sending email. notification center seems well-suited for this.

Posted on
Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:08 am
dduff617 offline

Re: notification center

i should have searched a bit more as this is much simpler than i expected. for simple notification (in Mavericks), you can use a simple applescript thusly:
Code: Select all
 display notification "hello from indigo!" with title "A demo notification from the Indigo Mac Application"
maybe at some point, it will be possible to respond or react to a notification in more sophisticated ways in the next version of mac os x. example: display a notification saying "Iron was left on" with a button to turn it off, though i suspect the API and the work involved with hooking up Indigo to handle this might be much more complex. for now, this this works and is nice and simple.

Posted on
Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:08 am
jalves offline

Good find! I'm going to play with this a bit to figure out how to include variable values in the notification.

Oh, just for those who run Indigo on a separate machine, be aware that the notification only shows up on the machine that is actually running Indigo. It doesn't show up on a machine running the Indigo client.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:32 am
DaveL17 offline

Yes, good find! Works well on the host machine. I had hoped that the alert would promulgate to all of the devices linked to that iCloud account, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Thanks for sharing!
Dave

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:35 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

You can also use the Growl plugin - Growl puts notifications in the notification center and can do network notifications and iOS notifications.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:41 pm
manoncloud9 offline

Re: [SOLVED]notification center

Can you post an example using growl.

Posted on
Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:13 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: [SOLVED]notification center

Just use the Notification Actions->Growl Notify action. If you have Growl installed and configured correctly the notification will show up.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1